Page 88 of 156 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 2338
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    You missed my point. My point was technology changes how we consume products.
    Technology has changed how we consume our products. Celuloid is a thing of the past. Higher resolution digital experience is the way to go now. And it has nothing to do with whether we see movies at home or in a theater.

Also, the largest filmmaker in the world, with its own dedicated streaming service, has put out a trailer desperately and emotionally asking us to return to the theaters. How are they trying to cut out the middle man with this?

If you’re from southeast US, I’m sure most families have more than two kids.

On another note, I remember when people said there would always be record stores and they will never go out of business. Oops there it is.
    Not really no. I mean households of 3+kids aren't uncommon by any stretch, but I'd still say the majority slightly leans towards a 1-or-2 child household.

And why would you bring up record stores? How is that even remotely similar to this? That's more equivalent to arguing in favor of VHS tapes rather than theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Yeah what a terrible analogy, the theatrical window release is more like a concert venue artists release before moving on to their next thing. Basically you own the initial experience, not just replayability. Musical records are aural only experiences (not very communal) which can specifically be enhanced with better technology which also helped with physical storage concerns and still have their place for those who want them.

If I wanted to play crystal ball I'd think no-nonsense virtual reality would 100% for sure kill theaters. But that's... not likely to be mainstream soon, is it?
    How're VR's coming along in solving that headache problem some of us get from VR?
    (Not arguing, I don't keep up with VR news)

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The example I would use Video Game arcades and video game arcades would still be a thing if companies put up an artificial window to protect them. Imagine having wait 6 months till leaves the arcade, 2 months for PC and it is finally release on console
    Then why on earth do people attend concerts, since many of them already have all the songs they'll hear at the concert?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Then why on earth do people attend concerts, since many of them already have all the songs they'll hear at the concert?
    Now that is actually an interesting question. Personally I would be pissed if I paid whatever I paid to go to a concert, and heard exactly the same thing I could hear on my album at home, only with crowd noise. I want to hear the bands new takes, different interpretations, new improvisations. For example, the difference between Another One Bites The Dust in studio, and in concert...and even the particular concert matters.

A friend of mine gets pissed when he goes to a concert and doesn't here exactly what he hears on the studio album.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Now that is actually an interesting question. Personally I would be pissed if I paid whatever I paid to go to a concert, and heard exactly the same thing I could hear on my album at home, only with crowd noise. I want to hear the bands new takes, different interpretations, new improvisations. For example, the difference between Another One Bites The Dust in studio, and in concert...and even the particular concert matters.

A friend of mine gets pissed when he goes to a concert and doesn't here exactly what he hears on the studio album.
    Your friend should never, ever go to a Nob Dylan concert.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

You missed my point. My point was technology changes how we consume products. But some people can’t see nor accept that changes are happening.

It just not about streaming vs theater experience, it about how the studios want their movies to get out to the public. Studios only care about money and they will cutout the middle man to make more money.
    Since 1948 studios have been forced into a bad business model for them, streaming give them a way to get out of this model. A shorten theatrical window is only the beginning. The Wrath of Man was released only 3 week ago and it’s already available on streaming and VOD.
    What literally just happened proved that cutting out the middle man did not make them more money.

https://www.cbr.com/hbo-max-streamin...ampaign=CBR-TW

HBO Max Experiencing Spotty Streaming Outages
    Customers across the country are reporting issues when they try to play select TV shows and movies on the streaming service. After logging in and selecting a title, the platform presents the error message "Can't play title. We're having trouble playing this video. Please try again."

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post

I think that's actually the normal expectation usually. My point was that even though the songs are the same, people go to the concerts for the experience.

Good news for france.

https://variety.com/2021/film/global...ys-1234980884/

After being shut down for over six months, French cinemas bounced back in a spectacular way, drawing 2.1 million admissions in six days after reopening on May 19. The results are particularly strong considering the current restrictions on cultural venues in France, notably an audience capacity of 35% and a 9pm curfew.

While there are no U.S. blockbusters currently playing in theaters, French audiences flocked to critically-acclaimed films, leading with Albert Dupontel’s “Bye Bye Morons,” which swept seven Cesar nods.

Distributed by Gaumont, “Bye Bye Morons” is one of the several movies re-released last week, along with Maiwenn’s Cannes 2020 movie “DNA,” Thomas Vinterberg’s Oscar-winning “Another Round,” Charlene Favier’s “Slalom” and Nicolas Maury’s “Garçon Chiffon.”
    Demon slayer nears $500m also and came in second in france.

“Demon Slayer: Mugen Train,” the Japanese anime movie which took many markets by storm, ranked second at the French B.O., behind Dupontel’s offbeat comedy. Other to-performing films include the animation/live action blend “Tom and Jerry” and Quentin Dupieux’s Venice title “Mandibles.”

Sounds like uk theatres are waking up also with peter rabbit 2 of all things. Also some good news for america as quiet place 2 pre ticket sales have beat the first films sales.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/a-quiet...es-1234761986/

Astonishing Member

How're VR's coming along in solving that headache problem some of us get from VR?
    (Not arguing, I don't keep up with VR news)
    I don't either so don't really know, I just don't expect to have goodies out of Back to the Future 2 or Ready Player One soon.

I think that's actually the normal expectation usually. My point was that even though the songs are the same, people go to the concerts for the experience.
    Hey remember when Bohemian Rhapsody made 900 million bucks worldwide? I wouldn't think the audience was as much into let's say biopic accuracy compared to the recreation of iconic Queen concerts with a very good actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Sounds like uk theatres are waking up also with peter rabbit 2 of all things.
    IIRC the first movie was very big in the UK and the sequel apparently holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I don't either so don't really know, I just don't expect to have goodies out of Back to the Future 2 or Ready Player One soon.

Hey remember when Bohemian Rhapsody made 900 million bucks worldwide? I wouldn't think the audience was as much into let's say biopic accuracy compared to the recreation of iconic Queen concerts with a very good actor.
    Not really. Going to a concert wanting the songs to be the same, and going to a movie for an accurate biopic are very different things I think. Wanting an experience is probably the same between theaters and concerts, but the content of those two things are still different.

What did that have to do with my point? No two live concerts are the same even if they perform the same set list. A concert is someone performing a song, What they visual do each time is different, How perform the song each time different because they will breathe different and articulate different. Live plays and concerts are not going any where because they are actually performances with variance. Heck seeing performance live on TV and in concert is are different experiences and yes communal experience plays part and feedback artist gets from an audience and being part of group actively enjoying plays a part in enjoying the experience.

A movie is relatively the same experience inside of your house as it is in theater depending on your set up. I am proponent of 3D,Imax and technologies that enhance the visual and sound experience because it gives a legit reason for you to choose movies over the home experience. The easiest example is Avatar which is watching it 3D and Imax is completely different experience from watching it at home on 4K, most people can't replicate 3D Avatar at home. There also some merit to group experience of watching some movies with people stuff like block busters benefit from energy of audience being excited. Avenger endgame and Infinity wars were great experiences opening night because of the excitement of people. BUT this is not case with every movie and experience of watching movies is relatively the same as in house. And often it is times better and cheaper in your house. Which is why Arcades which died out as thing here is relevant. Playing street fighter at home is the same experience as the arcade, Watching a movie at home is most of the time the same experience as in the theaters. Listening Adele sing in concert is different from listening to her album.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-25-2021 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    What did that have to do with my point? No two live concerts are the same even if they perform the same set list. A concert is someone performing a song, What they visual do each time is different, How perform the song each time different because they will breathe different and articulate different. Live plays and concerts are going any where because they are actually performances with variance. Heck seeing performance live on TV and in concert is are different experiences and yes communal experience plays part and feedback artist gets from an audience and being part of group actively enjoying plays a part

A movie is relatively the same experience inside of your house as it is in theater depending on your set up. I am proponent of 3D,Imax and technologies that enhance the visual and sound experience because it gives a legit reason for you to choose movies over the home experience. The easiest example is Avatar which is watching it 3D and Imax is completely different experience from watching it at home on 4K, most people can't replicate 3D Avatar at home. There also some merit to group experience of watching some movies with people stuff like block busters benefit from energy of audience being excited. Avenger endgame and Infinity wars were great experiences opening night because of the excitement of people. BUT this is not case with every movie and experience of watching movies is relatively the same as in house. And often it is times better and cheaper in your house. Which is why Arcades which died out as thing here is relevant. Playing street fighter at home is the same experience as the arcade, Watching a movie at home is most of the time the same experience as in the theaters. Listening Adele sing in concert is different from listening to her album.
    I'm just saying, I've always got the feeling most people only get to go to a few concerts, and for most of them the appeal is experiencing their favorite songs from this artist in person. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that at least a large minority if not a majority of concert attendees are that way. In the same way watching a movie in theater is more of an event, and experience, that you can't get at home. I disagree that it's the same experience seeing a movie at home vs theaters, and a lot of people here also think it's a different experience. Maybe it's the same for you, but you can't say that your opinion on the experience of a movie at home vs theater is universal.

Astonishing Member

As far as experiencing the new work of good artists or talents outside of home, I personally can feel a payoff from following all kinds of movies in theaters over spans of time, which I assume is close enough to people wanting to go to good concerts with great performances. For example I consider myself lucky from having watched Joaquin Phoenix in You Were Never Really Here in a full theater before he earned playing Joker (which I watched in a packed theater, because of course it was).