Page 89 of 156 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 2338

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'm just saying, I've always got the feeling most people only get to go to a few concerts, and for most of them the appeal is experiencing their favorite songs from this artist in person. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that at least a large minority if not a majority of concert attendees are that way. In the same way watching a movie in theater is more of an event, and experience, that you can't get at home. I disagree that it's the same experience seeing a movie at home vs theaters, and a lot of people here also think it's a different experience. Maybe it's the same for you, but you can't say that your opinion on the experience of a movie at home vs theater is universal.
    Exact words matter

relatively the same experience inside of your house as it is in theater depending on your set up
    BUT this is not case with every movie and experience of watching movies is relatively the same as in house
    That is me talking about it. I didn't say exactly the same, I said mostly the same

A lot of theater experience for movies is over blown and largely does not matter to people. This is not opinion this FACT if the movie theater experience was that strong you wouldn't have put a 90 or 45 day window to force people to go theaters instead of staying at home. If Drake or Beyoncé release a live performance of a concert that people could buy it would not stop people from going to that same live concert. If the theater experience was that impactful you could release it at home same and people will choose to go the theaters over staying home because hey the theater experience is that different. There is Zero worries that Hamilton on Disney plus is killing people desire to see the play live in theaters. The theater experience in most cases isn't different enough to make most people pick it over the home experience which is why theaters don't want same date release at home. Very few movies would beat home releases after awhile.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-26-2021 at 12:07 AM.

And to be clear I am considering watching Quiet place 2(Theaters have better sound system than me and sound design is big part of that movie), F9( Fast and Furious is just a fun movies to watch with other people) and Eternals( I think I watch the movie once with highest possible visually quality would be worth it) in the theaters. I understand reasons for watching things in theaters over home but other than eternals I don't think I would be missing out watching it at home. The gap between Theater and home isn't big enough for Theaters to beat home viewing unless you put artificial wall to make people go the theaters.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-26-2021 at 02:59 AM.

A movie is relatively the same experience inside of your house as it is in theater depending on your set up.

No it's not. Going to see endgame or force awakens in a huge theatre with cheering fans all into the movie and getting out of the house is not the same as sitting on your butt at home watching it on the same tv you watch alf reruns on.

Raya on the big screen had great animation but when we watched the dvd it was nowhere as good on the small screen. Also not everyone had huge big movie type tv's at home.

Theatres and concerts ARE the same. No movie is the same (other then avatar and dancing with wolfs of course) and you get a action or love or thriller movie gives you a different thing every time!

Our family loves going to the movies and we will choose movie over sitter and home for the 100th time and watching tv. It's not the same thing.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 05-26-2021 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    A movie is relatively the same experience inside of your house as it is in theater depending on your set up. I am proponent of 3D,Imax and technologies that enhance the visual and sound experience because it gives a legit reason for you to choose movies over the home experience. The easiest example is Avatar which is watching it 3D and Imax is completely different experience from watching it at home on 4K, most people can't replicate 3D Avatar at home. There also some merit to group experience of watching some movies with people stuff like block busters benefit from energy of audience being excited. Avenger endgame and Infinity wars were great experiences opening night because of the excitement of people. BUT this is not case with every movie and experience of watching movies is relatively the same as in house. And often it is times better and cheaper in your house. Which is why Arcades which died out as thing here is relevant. Playing street fighter at home is the same experience as the arcade, Watching a movie at home is most of the time the same experience as in the theaters. Listening Adele sing in concert is different from listening to her album.
    I would say 90% to 95% of people who watch movies would disagree with you.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Movie Theaters and Concerts are not the same. And once again after you watch endgame or star wars once in the theater, The crowd does not matter. You don't care for the crowd to be crazy the second or third time you watch a movie. The movie theater CAN add to the experience the movie theater doesn't ALWAYS add to the experience.

The crowd can add energy to a movie but it is not necessary to enjoy a movie. People have enjoyed movies in half-empty and empty theaters. Watching most movies at home and theater are relatively the same experience because you don't need a crowd or large screen to enjoy a movie. Those things don't enhance every movie enough for it matter. Do you hear TV makers or video game consoles hyping up 4K anymore? No. Why? Because the upgrade isn't enough to matter that much over the already good stuff. It is exact same situation with movie theaters yeah you might appreciate 4K,120 FPS, and a roaring crowd but not having them doesn't affect your experience negatively enough for you to need it every time. You don't need to a crazy big screen to enjoy In the Heights, The House Next Door: Meet the Blacks 2, The Misfits, Peter Rabbit 2, Flashback, Spirit Untamed, etc. While big-screen might enhance F9 or the new Conjuring.

If the Theaters add so much to experience they would be ZERO fears of the same date release, Again Hamilton being on Disney plus will not stop most people from going watching it in a live theater. Black Widow being on Disney Plus will definitely keep some people from watching it in a theater and even more so if the price was the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I would say 90% to 95% of people who watch movies would disagree with you.
    I would say 90 to 95% of people will disagree with you. Stats without sources are pointless
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-26-2021 at 06:25 AM.

Movie Theaters and Concerts are not the same. And once again after you watch endgame or star wars once in the theater, The crowd does not matter. You don't care for the crowd to be crazy the second or third time you watch a movie. The movie theater CAN add to the experience the movie theater doesn't ALWAYS add to the experience.

The crowd can add energy to a movie but it is not necessary to enjoy a movie. People have enjoyed movies in half-empty and empty theaters. Watching most movies at home and theater are relatively the same experience because you don't need a crowd or large screen to enjoy a movie. Those things don't enhance every movie enough for it matter. Do you hear TV makers or video game consoles hyping up 4K anymore? No. Why? Because the upgrade isn't enough to matter that much over the already good stuff. It is exact same situation with movie theaters yeah you might appreciate 4K,120 FPS, and a roaring crowd but not having them doesn't affect your experience negatively enough for you to need it every time. You don't need to a crazy big screen to enjoy In the Heights, The House Next Door: Meet the Blacks 2, The Misfits, Peter Rabbit 2, Flashback, Spirit Untamed, etc. While big-screen might enhance F9 or the new Conjuring.

If the Theaters add so much to experience they would be ZERO fears of the same date release, Again Hamilton being on Disney plus will not stop most people from going watching it in a live theater. Black Widow being on Disney Plus will definitely keep some people from watching it in a theater and even more so if the price was the same.

I would say 90 to 95% of people will disagree with you. Stats without sources are pointless
    It's one thing to talk about whether people will opt to watch at home rather than go to the theaters. That has many factors involved.

But to say that theaters and homes are the same exact experience is really absurd.
    Is there anyone else on this thread who thinks that watching a movie at home and in the theater is the same experience? That there is no difference for you.
    Not which you like better, or will do for this movie or that. But the same experience?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Any chance that the broken-up theatrical/streaming releases for big blockbusters could open the door for smaller and mid-budget films to sneak in? The kind if movies that, back in they day, were sold on a star or a concept or genre and were pre-sold internationally so they were already making a profit for their makers before they were even released?

That'd be cool.

Half the time I go to a theater it's for a limited engagement thing: an old movie or a foreign film or anime or some such. The theaters are always packed for an old Ghibli film!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It's one thing to talk about whether people will opt to watch at home rather than go to the theaters. That has many factors involved.

But to say that theaters and homes are the same exact experience is really absurd.
    Is there anyone else on this thread who thinks that watching a movie at home and in the theater is the same experience? That there is no difference for you.
    Not which you like better, or will do for this movie or that. But the same experience?
    If I had said they were the exactly same you would be right but I never said that but every time I say theaters don't represent that big of a difference in most case, You guys hear "exactly same".
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-26-2021 at 08:18 AM.

BANNED

And to be clear I am considering watching Quiet place 2(Theaters have better sound system than me and sound design is big part of that movie), F9( Fast and Furious is just a fun movies to watch with other people) and Eternals( I think I watch the movie once with highest possible visually quality would be worth it) in the theaters. I understand reasons for watching things in theaters over home but other than eternals I don't think I would be missing out watching it at home. The gap between Theater and home isn't big enough for Theaters to beat home viewing unless you put artificial wall to make people go the theaters.
    I agree, there’s only a few movies that are worth the theater experience and I will be going to see F9 in theaters. But a vast majority of films the home experience and the theater experience is practically the same, I would even argue the home experience is better for most films. The theater experience is overrated. I was planning to go see Free Guy in theaters, it’s coming August 13, but now Disney shorten the theater window, now I’m willing to wait to September 27 and watch it at home.
    Even Tom Hanks has said that big blockbusters are the only movies that will be in theaters, everything else will be streaming and VOD. Even the blockbusters has a very short theatrical window now.
    Last edited by luprki; 05-26-2021 at 10:44 AM.

It looks like the Studios have set themselves to compete with themselves, and not in a good way. They need big theatrical blockbusters to earn billions and justify the hundreds of millions they spend making them. On the other hand they need content to bring in subscriptions, they need special movies and series. But if they spend too much, they will loose money, even if they get a few new subscribers. So they are hurting themselves at the Box Office and setting up their streaming customers to expect these mega expensive movies.
    In recent years, the blockbusters made enough in the theaters that those who waited for streaming did not hurt the bottom line. But when they stop earning a profit, they will stop making them, and they are constrained by what they spend on streaming content. All the big movies that went straight to streaming this year lost money. But without these special movies, will subscribers keep all their services?

BANNED

Studios believe in theaters, rightly or wrongly. They have delayed many movies several times. They've tested the waters with a few films with various business models, and they've been unimpressive to disastrous.

There is no viable alternative to theater distribution at this time.

Retired

I would say that the big lavish productions in today's popcorn movies are akin to the colourful production numbers in the movie musicals of the 1950s. In both cases, because of T.V. back then and because of video now, they need to justify the ticket price to the audience and the production cost to the investors. So the easiest way to do that is to do big splashy stuff on the screen that shows off the look of the film. It's a raw way of judging a movie's quality--but many people go by this simple metric. It's a lot harder to prove the value of a production when the features of the movie are more subtle and not so easily observed.

For a basic viewing of a movie--to get the story and dialogue--sure a home viewing is okay. And it's the way I view almost all movies now. But there are certain ephemeral qualities, even in very low budget movies, that you don't get by seeing them on home video. But you're never going to convince the majority of audiences or stockholders that that's a worthwhile thing.

Funny that just now a poll came out that tackled a question that's being discussed here:

Of those surveyed, 91% feel that summer blockbusters must be seen on the big screen with big sound and a receptive audience, and 87% say the moviegoing experience cannot be duplicated at home.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/fandang...ow-1234764534/
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

So now we have the Stats with sources. People don't think watching movies at home is the same as in theaters. By about...let me see...90%. Sounds familar.

Exact words matter

That is me talking about it. I didn't say exactly the same, I said mostly the same

A lot of theater experience for movies is over blown and largely does not matter to people. This is not opinion this FACT if the movie theater experience was that strong you wouldn't have put a 90 or 45 day window to force people to go theaters instead of staying at home. If Drake or Beyoncé release a live performance of a concert that people could buy it would not stop people from going to that same live concert. If the theater experience was that impactful you could release it at home same and people will choose to go the theaters over staying home because hey the theater experience is that different. There is Zero worries that Hamilton on Disney plus is killing people desire to see the play live in theaters. The theater experience in most cases isn't different enough to make most people pick it over the home experience which is why theaters don't want same date release at home. Very few movies would beat home releases after awhile.
    I think the thing is it isn't "relatively" the same for a lot of people who go to the theater. And the window isn't to force people to go to the theaters. It's to make the most money possible for a film - and frankly, many people view shortening it that much to reduce the amount that theaters and studios are going to make.