Page 9 of 156 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Many theaters will shut down permanently. This definitely will change the film industry

Artemis fowl will skip the big screen and go right to Disney plus.

Mulan and black widow moved to later this year and eternals and jungle cruise moved to next year.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ming-on-Disney

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...-july-69964214

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Many theaters will shut down permanently. This definitely will change the film industry
    A few might, in markets that were already weak, but I think most of them will make it. The chains will be supported by the industry and filled with people as soon as possible, and the few remaining mom-and-pop theaters will get a piece of that small-business money from the stimulus.

This crisis will cause change, but I think people underestimate how ready people will be to get back to normal. The 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic killed 675,000 Americans, which is the equivalent of 2,160,000 in today's population. We were also fighting a super-bloody world war at the time. Yet all of this was immediately followed by the Roaring Twenties.

Humans are usually more resilient than we think we'll be.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    A few might, in markets that were already weak, but I think most of them will make it. The chains will be supported by the industry and filled with people as soon as possible, and the few remaining mom-and-pop theaters will get a piece of that small-business money from the stimulus.

This crisis will cause change, but I think people underestimate how ready people will be to get back to normal. The 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic killed 675,000 Americans, which is the equivalent of 2,160,000 in today's population. We were also fighting a super-bloody world war at the time. Yet all of this was immediately followed by the Roaring Twenties.

Humans are usually more resilient than we think we'll be.
    The chains like AMC and Regal will but alot of local and small theaters will. There's rent that cant be paid and people arent going to go to theaters in droves once they open back up. I dont see alot of those being able to survive

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Drive-In Theaters: They are pretty much dead here on the east coast, though. So it won't be too helpful here. My earliest memory of the drive-in was when we saw The Empire Strikes Back and I used to be able to see the screen on the highway going to the mall while movies were playing. I'm glad some of these old places are making money. That's something at least.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'm not in support of any federal government bailout, unless there are community benefits agreements in place [in writing, enforceable], such as no layoffs for 12 months, and vouchers/credits for people who live in the states where these theaters are located. To me it would be obscene for a bunch of money to be used to "save" theater chains, then after that it's back to 'business as usual' with hikes in ticket prices, snack prices, promoting only part-time positions, no sick leave, etc.
    I agree. With the exception of some of the old mom and pop drive-ins which I hear charges lower prices for refreshments to give you that "old time" feel (really just not being greedy). The big cineplexs that would be at your local mall are basically evil.

I really don't think the Movie business will ever be in ruins. It survived the Depression, but then it didn't cost insane amounts of money then. People were once satisfied with less. The big money of yesteryear is not what it is considered now.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 04-04-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Having to make good movies with less money wouldn’t be the worst thing to ever happen to the movie industry.

Retired

I think the truly creative people--and maybe it's the little children now who have only this as their reality--will find a way to make movies in isolation and about isolation. I've always thought that the way technology was going each person would be able to make their own movie all on their own--just like how a novelist or a comic book artist can do everything on his or her own in a single room, without anyone else. Older people maybe can't do this, because they're clinging to the past and wanting things to go back to the way they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I agree. With the exception of some of the old mom and pop drive-ins which I hear charges lower prices for refreshments to give you that "old time" feel (really just not being greedy). The big cineplexs that would be at your local mall are basically evil.

I really don't think the Movie business will ever be in ruins. It survived the Depression, but then it didn't cost insane amounts of money then. People were once satisfied with less. The big money of yesteryear is not what it is considered now.
    People were able to go to the movies during the Depression, it was one of their escapes. This is so different. These theaters may be shuttered for months. And then people might not like to gamble with going since it is a great place to catch the virus. I doubt business will get back to anywhere near normal until we have a vaccine. Can they hang on until then. And id there are a number of closed theaters, there might not be enough screens for some movies to make money.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I'm genuinely worried about my local indie theater. As someone who goes to the movies pretty frequently, I know I would go a whole lot less if they happened to close permanently. I just think they'll get lost in the shuffle because they're not a chain megaplex that gets the support of the corporate entity and they're not an arthouse theater that is the only game in town for what they do.

It's also the only theater that gets smaller non-arthouse movies, but, I don't think that will be enough to save it.

Retired

The Cineplex closest to me is in a complex that was only completed about seven years ago. It was built on what was industrial land down by the river. One time, I think I was at AQUAMAN, I was walking along the hall and saw a rat scurry across the carpet into one of its holes. That seemed only right to me. The rat's people had lived in this territory for centuries--they had land rights--the Cineplex was just squatting on their ancestral home. Now that the Cineplex is closed, the rats can rebuild their civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The Cineplex closest to me is in a complex that was only completed about seven years ago. It was built on what was industrial land down by the river. One time, I think I was at AQUAMAN, I was walking along the hall and saw a rat scurry across the carpet into one of its holes. That seemed only right to me. The rat's people had lived in this territory for centuries--they had land rights--the Cineplex was just squatting on their ancestral home. Now that the Cineplex is closed, the rats can rebuild their civilization.
    Like everything, Kirby invented that.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

AMC now on the brink of bankruptcy

https://www.cbr.com/coronavirus-amc-...le-bankruptcy/

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Not good....!

My spy sold to amazon!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#1dff930025d7

However Laika studios will stand ground and still pay their staff. Plan to make more films when this blows over.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/be...crisis-1289611