Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Amazing Member

Default How would you have handled a FF/X Men mini?

It seems no one is much impressed by how Chip Zdarsky has portrayed the FF and X Men in his FF/X Men 2.0. So how would you have handled the same premise if you were writing the mini series? I think there's a good juxtaposition of themes with the first series namely FFvs X Men like the FF coming to cure Kitty and the X Men attempting to do the same for Franklin with Doom playing the dark horse but Zdarsky seems to have dropped the ball and unlike the first time the conflict hasn't been handled particularly well in this one. Anyway can you come up with a better version?

I think Chip has been doing a great job of character voices, personally. I don’t think the Dodsons were a good choice for the book, but overall it’s not bad.

Probably would’ve left Doom out though.

BANNED

The X-Men want to use Franklin Richards. He's possibly very sick, so this is a great opportunity for them to bring him to Krakoa. Xavier calls up his Illuminati bro and asks if he can examine Franklin because his condition could impact all mutants. Reed is like "nah". Xavier, understanding that Reed is pretty capable and understanding that he should be respectful, decides to fuck off, but wishes the boy well.

A villain attacks and captures Franklin. Reed, suspicious, thinks Xavier and Co. did it. X-Man and FF fight for a bit before Reed and Sue realize the X-Men wouldn't steal someone's kid or invite them to Krakoa behind the more-than-respectable parents' backs. X&F team up, track down the villain, and kick ass,

Whether Franklin comes to Krakoa at the end, I could care less, but I mostly think he should stay a just FF character and don't care to have him as a regular X-Men appearance.

The end.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Why does there need to be a major conflict in the first place? Charles and Erik didn't need to go with the Marauders and Logan when they went to Yancy Street, they only went there as a show of power and force. This should have been a group of carefully selected X-Men - Kitty for reasons stated in the mini, Logan and Ororo because they were members of the Fantastic Four, Banshee and Emma because they were at one point Franklin's legal guardians - to discuss him coming to Krakoa and being helped with his mutation. No threat to just take him, no unnecessary yelling from the Fantastic Four as a result of the way the X-Men conducted themselves, no reason for the Fantastic Four to invade Krakoa. And go from there to having Reed, Hank, and the bright minds of Krakoa trying to figure out what is going on with Franklin's mutation, to them asking Victor for help and being largely double-crossed.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Incredible Member

A sequel to Days of Future Present that builds up on Franklin Richards' relationship to the X-Men, properly addresses Reed's insecurities about him being a mutant and the Fantastic Four realizing they may be barrelling towards a Sentinel future.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Chip has two more issues before I do a full criticism. I would've just made the fisticuffs between the two teams not drag out so long.
    "Cable was right!"

I would have the x- men kill them. Then they would go home and have a big party.
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

I would have hired a better artist.

Slow burning Daken/Johnny/Bobby love triangle with lots of drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Why does there need to be a major conflict in the first place? Charles and Erik didn't need to go with the Marauders and Logan when they went to Yancy Street, they only went there as a show of power and force. This should have been a group of carefully selected X-Men - Kitty for reasons stated in the mini, Logan and Ororo because they were members of the Fantastic Four, Banshee and Emma because they were at one point Franklin's legal guardians - to discuss him coming to Krakoa and being helped with his mutation. No threat to just take him, no unnecessary yelling from the Fantastic Four as a result of the way the X-Men conducted themselves, no reason for the Fantastic Four to invade Krakoa. And go from there to having Reed, Hank, and the bright minds of Krakoa trying to figure out what is going on with Franklin's mutation, to them asking Victor for help and being largely double-crossed.
    Well, shit.
    Shut'er down. We have a winner.

I'll also echo the H_E_D's sentiment regarding Dodson's selection as penciler. No disrespect. Just not my preference.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    it shows, there's a difrence betwen conflict and a very clear set of choices to make the mutant side the clear oposite to garner any blame while every other hero is witout any consequences, its a set up to constantly downplay the x-men to create the ilusion they are equal.

It is leeching, it is parasitism because its not an equal enchange, mutants dont get anything from these shitty crossovers, only the non mutants titles get their feats and moral highground and characther focus, the x-men are there to provide their universe and marketability, never to also tell a story about them, this isnt a story about the x-men.

this is an f4 story caused by mutants, not a mutant and f4 story, you could take any of these characthers besides kitty away and the difrence would minimal because this isnt a balanced crossover, the mutants are the antagonists to the promoted "team up" but are secondary to the fantastic four.
    you don't see an issue, but this isnt he first, the second or even the third time it happens, its a constant whenever the x-men crossover and it pisses me off because it never, EVER gives mutants anything in return, never not even once.
    Conflict is an integral part of super-hero comics, including among super-heroes. Except many of the X-men fans are defending what they're doing so the writing must be doing something right to please them. Chip Zdarsky's working with the current X-men status quo, he can't just rewrite the entire X-line to make them the good guys because right now they aren't in their own books. Zdarsky didn't create the X-men who appear in the crossover from thin air, he used Hickman's acclaimed template and naturally the Fantastic Four acting accordingly to their old friends attitudes.

You think every crossover with a less popular super-hero team or solo hero is "leeching"? Is Punisher doing this in crossovers with Spider-man? Not everyone is going to pleased with a cross over but to make it seen like nobody likes how the X-men are acting isn't true. It's a story about both groups.

They needed a hook to bring in the Fantastic Four in and Franklin is so obvious it's surprising this hasn't been done before. Considering the current status quo why would you assume the FF would be ok with what they're doing? That's just a natural reaction when super-heroes go off the deep end, as they occasionally do. There was a crossover event where Daredevil was the main villain, he lead the Hand. Iron Man's been turned into a super-villain twice in Avenger storylines, "The Crossing," "Civil War." Reed was in "Civil War," too. However, unlike those examples (and Daredevil has the excuse of being possessed) were written badly, the X-men are written correctly to adhere to Hickman's critically acclaimed vision.

In A vs X Cable comes from a future where the Avengers are responsible for the death of Hope Summers which caused his horrible future. Cabe defeats Falcon, Captain America, Iron man and Hulk in rapid succession - they only defeat him by acting as a team! Hope defeats both Spider-man and Wolverine (who was an Avenger). The X-men have to protect Hope, a young mutant who might be their best hope of reigniting their species again with the Phoenix, which is a very strong argument that they're on the good side. When Wolverine suggests Hope needs to be killed the Avengers kick him out. The Phoenix Five go to Wakanda to stop Namor from destroying it, taking his remnant of the Phoenix Force. The X-men and Avengers team up together to stop the Phoenix Five. Hope gets the complete Phoenix and restores the mutant population. Captain America puts together a team of both Avengers and X-men to help make the two groups like each other again. This is hardly nothing and this is from a controversial crossover.

Fantastic Member

So much potential but it’s just so predictable. There’s no surprises at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matrik View Post
    It seems no one is much impressed by how Chip Zdarsky has portrayed the FF and X Men in his FF/X Men 2.0. So how would you have handled the same premise if you were writing the mini series? I think there's a good juxtaposition of themes with the first series namely FFvs X Men like the FF coming to cure Kitty and the X Men attempting to do the same for Franklin with Doom playing the dark horse but Zdarsky seems to have dropped the ball and unlike the first time the conflict hasn't been handled particularly well in this one. Anyway can you come up with a better version?
    The best solution to solve X-Men crossing with other franchises is by not having it happen at all. Avengers, Inhumans and Fantastic Four are already proof enough that nobody at Marvel can make the idea actually work. I'd scrap the idea at it's early stages, if it was up to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    The best solution to solve X-Men crossing with other franchises is by not having it happen at all. Avengers, Inhumans and Fantastic Four are already proof enough that nobody at Marvel can make the idea actually work. I'd scrap the idea at it's early stages, if it was up to me.
    thank you, there is more pro's to have the mutants completly seperate from the rest of the marvel universe than cons

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    thank you, there is more pro's to have the mutants completly seperate from the rest of the marvel universe than cons
    If it was in Claremont times, it could work. Currently, with the editorial and their stance that the X-Men have to take the fall, it's simply not possible. This is the third time this century we can see the concept melting before our very eyes. It's one thing to show the effects of Krakoa on the world at wide, and another to pose the X-Men as antagonists to the F4, even though nobody is 100% right in this. At this point, just retcon Franklin into being an inhuman or enhanced human like the Maximoff twins, for the sake of eliminating the excuse for this one and future crossovers.