BANNED

Default About the Style of Gotham in B:TAS, TNBA and BB cartoons

About the Style of Gotham in the Batman: The Animated Series, The New Batman Adventures and Batman Beyond cartoons and Tell Me If I am Right.

I have seen the Batman: The Animated Series, The New Batman Adventures, and Batman Beyond cartoons several times and here is what I noticed and tell me if I am right on this about Gotham.

This is what I saw for myself and heard from the producers of each show and from other people.

In Batman: The Animated Series, the show came out and takes place in the 1990's, but it has an art deco feel and looks like the 1940's from the cars, buildings and fashion for Gotham City. The music is inspired by 1940's noir music.

Then on The New Batman Adventures, which Also came out and takes place in the 1990's, I read that Gotham City looks more modern, but I noticed that the buildings still look old, the fashions still look old and the cars still look old. Although it probably looks more 1950's or 1960's looking than 1940's like on Batman The Animated Series.

Now Batman Beyond came out in 1999 and takes place from 2039- the 2040's in the future. Gotham City in this show has a cyberpunk futuristic feel to it from the buildings, cars and fashion. The music is future rock metal style.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider969 View Post
    Now Batman Beyond came out in 1999 and takes place from 2039- the 2040's in the future. Gotham City in this show has a cyberpunk futuristic feel to it from the buildings, cars and fashion. The music is future rock metal style.
    So in 19 years we'll be living in Batman Beyond times? Sweet. I want a flying car!

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raider969 View Post
    About the Style of Gotham in the Batman: The Animated Series, The New Batman Adventures and Batman Beyond cartoons and Tell Me If I am Right.

I have seen the Batman: The Animated Series, The New Batman Adventures, and Batman Beyond cartoons several times and here is what I noticed and tell me if I am right on this about Gotham.

This is what I saw for myself and heard from the producers of each show and from other people.

In Batman: The Animated Series, the show came out and takes place in the 1990's, but it has an art deco feel and looks like the 1940's from the cars, buildings and fashion for Gotham City. The music is inspired by 1940's noir music.

Then on The New Batman Adventures, which Also came out and takes place in the 1990's, I read that Gotham City looks more modern, but I noticed that the buildings still look old, the fashions still look old and the cars still look old. Although it probably looks more 1950's or 1960's looking than 1940's like on Batman The Animated Series.

The creative team of the three series was the same and if I remember well that Bruce Timm said about the Gotham of "Batman, the Animated Series", they wanted recreate the art deco of the forties in a darker way (they call that style "dark deco"), while with "The New Batman Adventure" they didn't want create a new series, but "refresh" the old one because they had issue to sell the space for the commercials, but without substantial modifies.

BANNED

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the dark deco part. And thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    So in 19 years we'll be living in Batman Beyond times? Sweet. I want a flying car!
    We already have the juggalo gangs terrorising our neighborhoods

BANNED

Smile

I prefer the way Gotham looks like in the DC Animated Universe. I liked how they did the art deco style of Batman: The Animated Series, looking like the 1940's. Even though the took out the art deco look in The New Batman Adventures, I still like that they still kept it old looking, with the buildings, fashions and cars looking mostly more like the 1950's or 1960's (except some like Nightwing and Robin, who have the 1990's hair look when they are in costume.) Finally, I also like the cyberpunk future look of Gotham in Batman Beyond.