Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should the Batman Beyond future become canon?

Given how the characters are getting older I think it would make sense if eventually the canonical story lines moved toward Batman Beyond territory like introducing a young Powers maybe while at the same time having Joker and Harley get back together and drive Tim insane and ultimately breaking the Bat Family up. For me though it would make more sense if Tim ended up becoming a dark secret locked away in Arkham and is never talked about by the Bat Family. I love this idea because Tim's viewed as the most "innocent" Robin and to me it would make for a more tragic story if the Joker despite dying ends up winning by corrupting Tim permanently. Also in a sense it falls in line with the aspect of Batman never being able to be happy.

Another change I'd make is I'd keep Terry, Bruce's son but I wouldn't do what the cartoons did I'd change things so that Bruce at one point gets Selina knocked but doesn't find out until Terry is five or whatever and being raised by the Mcginnis family. That way I can see Bruce indirectly looking out for the family and keeping eyes on Terry.

One of the major reasons I'd prefer Tim to go insane and become the Joker is he'd be a very dangerous antagonist for Bruce and Terry with how brilliant he is if he crossed into insanity he'd be super dangerous. That being said another change I'd make is I'd have Tim be the founder of the Jokerz seen in Batman Beyond rather than them being fanboys or whatever as I think that would make more sense.

Also I'd love a story line about Barbara joining the GCPD and working her way up the ranks as well as a story arc that shows what happened to his other major rogues and shows how old Bruce got to the point where he picked up that gun on his last night as Batman. I just really think a main continuity story that ties things to Batman Beyond would be cool.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Nah. Too depressing.
    Current comic Batman Beyond though, better. Damian got epic garb, Dick got to be Mayor...

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Nah. Too depressing.
    Not nearly as depressing as Last Knight on Earth or Vampire though.

Spectacular Member

It's already canon future end saw to it,but since time is fluid they make adjustment as the timeline changes

Hmmmm...

I donīt know.. Maybe if Damian is in his 40s/50s and is not Batman anymore for one old wound or some kind of disease replacing Bruce that is dead here.
    Last edited by adrikito; 03-22-2020 at 12:15 PM.

I'm fine with Beyond being canon, at least in the broad strokes. But I don't need the narrative to actually reach that point. And I definitely don't need certain particulars, like Tim being driven insane or Harley getting back together with the Joker.

But Terry taking over someday in the canon I'm perfectly fine with.

Never cared for the idea that Terry was Bruce's son/clone. Just felt unnecessary as hell.

Damian could be a wrinkle. If he became Batman and had any kind of lengthy career Bruce would die of old age before Damian gave up the cowl. But if Damian ends up taking over the League of Assassins it's not a hurdle.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by redmax99 View Post
    It's already canon future end saw to it,but since time is fluid they make adjustment as the timeline changes
    He's talking about the Beyond from the animated series. That's got nothing to do with Future's End or Dc Canon

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm fine with Beyond being canon, at least in the broad strokes. But I don't need the narrative to actually reach that point. And I definitely don't need certain particulars, like Tim being driven insane or Harley getting back together with the Joker.

But Terry taking over someday in the canon I'm perfectly fine with.

Never cared for the idea that Terry was Bruce's son/clone. Just felt unnecessary as hell.

Damian could be a wrinkle. If he became Batman and had any kind of lengthy career Bruce would die of old age before Damian gave up the cowl. But if Damian ends up taking over the League of Assassins it's not a hurdle.
    batman beyond rebirth handles that well. Damian can do both and he did. Had his stint as batman and then moves on making way for Terry.

I like BB Rebirth or Batman 700 for a future. Both end with Terry.
    Bruce-Dick-Damian-Terry

The BB where Bruce destroys everyones lives and the family is broken up is too depressing and doesn't paint a faltering picture of Bruce. Who destroys every single thing he touches including Terry and matt.
    Last edited by dietrich; 03-23-2020 at 09:06 AM.

It's not flattering to Bruce, but it's not like it's out of the realm of possibility either. Bruce does have a habit of pushing people away.

But yeah, let Damian have his time as Batman then take over the League of Assassins so Terry can have his time.

I haven't read a lot of the stories where Damian is Batman but it seems like he wasn't a very good one. And I gotta admit I kinda like that idea.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

No, not at all.

BANNED

No need to. Let Batman Beyond stay as its own thing. I don't want to see the bunny armor of gordon and other lame things on the main title appeare in Batman beyond... and stuff.

Astonishing Member

I've never understood how the Batman Beyond comics slot into current canon.

Is it a possible future of the current DCU timeline? Or is it set on another earth/universe (Earth 12 I believe was the designation at some point)?

Is the backstory of the Batman Beyond comics the animated series (and by extension all the DCAU stuff) or is it current DCU continuity (which is itself a mess)?

And what happened to the version of Beyond where Damian, not Bruce, was Terry's mentor? In Batman # 700 I believe.

Mighty Member

Ultimately, I don't think Beyond-verse gains anything from being canon. If anything it tempts writers to draw from the other sources more, which waters down what makes Batman Beyond feel new and interesting. Furthermore, the present DCU doesn't gain anything from Beyond being canon either. Plus, given that reality is altered every 6 months or less these days having a guaranteed future doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It's not flattering to Bruce, but it's not like it's out of the realm of possibility either. Bruce does have a habit of pushing people away.

But yeah, let Damian have his time as Batman then take over the League of Assassins so Terry can have his time.

I haven't read a lot of the stories where Damian is Batman but it seems like he wasn't a very good one. And I gotta admit I kinda like that idea.

90% of the time Damian is a good batman
    Supersons
    Generations
    Batman 700
    JL Rebirth
    The Just
    Brave and the Bold

in bB he's was said to be better than Bruce till the suit drove him mad.

The one time where he's a dubious batman is batman 666 where he's not bad but he's insecure believing himself to be inferior to his father and Dick so he sets traps all over Gotham. He also sells his soul to the devil for the ability to keep Gotham safe.

He also is a batman who kills when pushed to the limit. Making him a Batman who cares but has failed to live up the example and code his father and mentor [Dick] had lived by.

i like Damian being better than his father and Grandfather because that continue the theme of Bruce's legacy being leaving behind protege's who are better.

I don't mind the way Morrison did it. Damian is enhanced and capable. However those can not compensate for his massive inferiority complex indicating that perfected genes and enhancements don't necessary mean a perfected/better human.

Both batman 666 and The Just show that he still stumbles along under the weight of his fathers legacy that he'll never live up to.
    I like that over him just being incompetent or him going Al Ghul ie. evil. Because as we all know good and evil are inherited genes.

Yeah Bruce and Terry to me are THE Batmen. Everyone else I feel should have other Ids.
    Ex-Robins might hold the title for a while but ultimately it shouldn't be their end goal. I like Terry being the other long running Batman.
    He is the Batman of the future
    Last edited by dietrich; 03-26-2020 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I've never understood how the Batman Beyond comics slot into current canon.

Is it a possible future of the current DCU timeline? Or is it set on another earth/universe (Earth 12 I believe was the designation at some point)?

Is the backstory of the Batman Beyond comics the animated series (and by extension all the DCAU stuff) or is it current DCU continuity (which is itself a mess)?

And what happened to the version of Beyond where Damian, not Bruce, was Terry's mentor? In Batman # 700 I believe.
    Batman Beyond's world is described as a version of the current DCU set a bit in the future so it is the future of the DCU. It isn't set since Rebirth BB was altered to include Duke [who wasn't a part of the world] and Damian becomes the Robin who inspires Matt.

Batman 700 is just another one of DC's many possible future not acknowledged by the Guide to the Multiverse [therefore to me making them less legitimate]

The animated BB isn't canon and has nothing to do with the new 52 BB, Rebirth BB or Future's End BB