Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Batman Beyond's world is described as a version of the current DCU set a bit in the future so it is the future of the DCU. It isn't set since Rebirth BB was altered to include Duke [who wasn't a part of the world] and Damian becomes the Robin who inspires Matt.

Batman 700 is just another one of DC's many possible future not acknowledged by the Guide to the Multiverse [therefore to me making them less legitimate]

The animated BB isn't canon and has nothing to do with the new 52 BB, Rebirth BB or Future's End BB
    Okay.

So does this mean that Return of the Joker didn't happen and Tim wasn't tortured to turn into the Joker? And was Amanda Waller's plan to engineer a new Batman different since the Phantasm wouldn't have been a part of it?

I'm guessing the future JLU is different as well then. For instance, Warhawk, if he exists wouldn't be the son of Shayera Hol and John Stewart?

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Okay.

So does this mean that Return of the Joker didn't happen and Tim wasn't tortured to turn into the Joker? And was Amanda Waller's plan to engineer a new Batman different since the Phantasm wouldn't have been a part of it?

I'm guessing the future JLU is different as well then. For instance, Warhawk, if he exists wouldn't be the son of Shayera Hol and John Stewart?
    It never happened. Those stories have never been canon to the main comic universe.

I'm not sure about the Phantasm part but io do know that the thing about Waller creating a new Batman never happened in the comics world. That has never been canon.

War hawk does exist on Earth 12 [the world of Rebirth BB] but I'm not sure who his folks are.

BANNED

It doesn't matter what they say in comics, if it has happened in the Batman Beyond Animated series, then it's canon. Animated Rules !!! Obey the animated DC, keep your shity ideas to yourself, they don't matter anyway, what matters is ANIMATED.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Ultimately, I don't think Beyond-verse gains anything from being canon. If anything it tempts writers to draw from the other sources more, which waters down what makes Batman Beyond feel new and interesting. Furthermore, the present DCU doesn't gain anything from Beyond being canon either. Plus, given that reality is altered every 6 months or less these days having a guaranteed future doesn't make any sense.
    Quoted for truth. The whole concept of "canon" for comic books is silly enough at the best of times, considering that the characters barely age over the decades. It is impossible for any "future" title to reflect the "one true future" because some character or event will get changed in the present that makes that future impossible. But the real reason that BB should not be linked to the main continuity (such as it is) is that it restrains what you can do in BB. Or, as scribbleMind said more succinctly: the Beyond-verse gains nothing from being canon. It functions at its best when it ignores all the other Bat Books and just concentrates on itself.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

I imagine it as true future canon.

But realistically, it would never be set canon in main DC as they would just retcon and reboots over time. But Im gonna keep imagining its a canonical future, its a pretty cool world.