Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you expect after Death Metal?

I know there are a lot of rumors going around. I also know this is dubbed the “Anti-Crisis”. So, what do you fans hope/think will be some of the outcomes of Death Metal?

For example:

Will Lex Luthor go back to running Lexcorp? Will he just be a mad scientist type?

Will certain things from pre-Flashpoint come back into play like Barry and Iris being married, Oliver and Dinah being married?

Will we have a set timeline that is fluid where it counts, but concrete where it matters? And if so, will it be like the 5G stuff we have heard about, or one that is more concise that lets us keep the basically known heroes without some weird time jump?

Any other thoughts?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Baby Metal lol

I thought Death Metal is about the destruction of the earth and there are only a few heroes left? So I just assume whatever Snyder's gonna do is irrelevant to the main timeline, and they just continue where they left off before or during Metal but with some history adjustments because of the new timeline.

Probably a big white flash as things get changed by Manhattan Wally West. When everyone wakes up, Death Metal and a lot of Snyder's Justice League run will never have happened, the Source Wall won't be broken, Perpetua will be gone, Lex will be back at Lexcorp, everyone will remember Impulse and Conner Kent, any remaining retgone speedsters (Max Mercury, Jesse Quick) will be back in action, the JSA will be active again, Nightwing will be back to normal, Donna Troy's original origin will be back, Arsenal will be resurrected, and Wally will re-emerge in Central City, reunited with his family.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Metal Crisis of Infinite Death

Funeral Metal obviously. Isn't that what usually follows death?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Probably a big white flash as things get changed by Manhattan Wally West. When everyone wakes up, Death Metal and a lot of Snyder's Justice League run will never have happened, the Source Wall won't be broken, Perpetua will be gone, Lex will be back at Lexcorp, everyone will remember Impulse and Conner Kent, any remaining retgone speedsters (Max Mercury, Jesse Quick) will be back in action, the JSA will be active again, Nightwing will be back to normal, Donna Troy's original origin will be back, Arsenal will be resurrected, and Wally will re-emerge in Central City, reunited with his family.
    Well somebody's a hopeful chap...

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I don't think even DC knows what comes after Death Metal at this point...

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I don't think even DC knows what comes after Death Metal at this point...
    Most likely answer lol, Sndyer keeps teasing the event got bigger after Didio left for some reason so I'm guessing we can expect more tie-ins/mini series throughout the summer so DC has more time to plan the future.

Hopefully a new reboot.

Hey, things can’t get any worse than Dark Nights and Death Metal.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Well somebody's a hopeful chap...
    With what Death Metal is supposed to be about, regular continuity can't continue from there - it's post-apocalyptic. So I figured that it would end up being an exciting story, with a definitive ending, with the ending of Flash Forward being used to put back a usable continuity afterwards. Don't forget that Flash Forward's final part (Free Comic Book Day's Generation Zero: Gods Among Us) is also the first of the Generations issues that are intended to set up 5G.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 03-23-2020 at 05:02 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Stability. Whether it’s business as usual or the next exciting generation, just have stories that manage to line-up and aren’t all about continuity being wonky. It’s been fine with generations and Rebirth doing it because of all the recent reality rewriting but at some point we need a steady foundation of continuity and history. Set a history, stick to it, and then just write stories from there.

Other then that I agree with Digifiend about the JSA, Nightwing, Wally West, and Bart and Connor.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

With what Death Metal is supposed to be about, regular continuity can't continue from there - it's post-apocalyptic. So I figured that it would end up being an exciting story, with a definitive ending, with the ending of Flash Forward being used to put back a usable continuity afterwards. Don't forget that Flash Forward's final part (Free Comic Book Day's Generation Zero: Gods Among Us) is also the first of the Generations issues that are intended to set up 5G.
    Yeah of course they have to reboot some to have a stable continuity after the apocalypse - but that doesn't mean returning everything to the exact status quo you want. Could be another 52. Point is, it might not be a complete return to old continuity, we could get something different, especially regarding legacy characters and spin-offs and characters without a solo book. All the speedsters besides Barry, Donna's origin, Nightwing, JSA, who knows how that'll turn out.

feeling cynical today; after Death Metal we'll get the 5G shake-up for a while then, true to DC form, another stretch of years where characters of colors are playing support, stuck with subpar titles expected to be cancelled, or introduced with hype just to do the two former things.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Honestly, I don't know because DC right now doesn't know. They're in the process of working out what's going to happen now, in a rush. Because of that, there's not much in current materials to reliably use to for any sort of hypothesis on what might be coming our way now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I would honestly be surprised if Wally has anything to do with this story.

Snyder is like Hickman in a way, where all of the stuff he writes is closely tied together but has little to no interaction with stuff going on outside of them. Other books can react to his story (see: Secret Wars, Year of the Villain) but the stories themselves are usually very self-contained. Snyder's yet to even address Wally to this point, so I doubt he'd bring him in now unless he's forced to by editorial.

My money is on the Wally stuff playing out once Death Metal is over with in it's own thing. The Flash Forward epilogue being the first part of the Generations series makes me think it was supposed to play out in that, otherwise the story would be been presented as a "part zero" of Death Metal.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans