Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default We need a New Sliders reboot.

With plenty of reboots happening (CBS seems to be rebooting every 80's show possible) right now , this seems like a natural move to happen. NBC , ABC and other networks are busy rebooting other older shows with classic shows returning years later to continue while others like the CBS shows are being full reboots with a modern setting.

Sliders itself is a classic 90's sci-fi series where the setting was this as Quinn Mallory would describe in the opening...

Anyhow we all know how the show by Fox was basically turned into **** by a network that didn't understand the show and it made the creator (Tracy Torm'e) leave after how terrible it got. Then the real death nail came when Sci-Fi channel did those final 2 seasons.

A reboot series by Torm'e could could see her ignore all that crap and get it back to basics of what she wanted to do and actually be the fun series it once was. Without grim dark breeding camps and crap Fox and Sci-Fi threw in. Also as a fun wink we could see her fix the older series in a cool way.

One episode with the new cast of Quinn , Wade , Arturo and Rembrandt now land on a dimension that is older Earth and discover the original sliders. All of them alive and we get an explanation from it as Torm'e can put the nail in things.

-
    -
    - The older group detail that they spent nearly a decade traveling to so many Earths and they grew tired of nearly dying each time . Quinn can reveal he got an infection and nearly died where he dreamed crazy stuff like losing Wade and the prof. and some aliens plot with a brother as well. That once he awoke he told Wade the next best Earth they land on he would settle down with her.

The Prof. and Rembrandt agreed to this as well having grew weary themselves of trying to get home. The group found a great world and settled down. Quinn however is shocked to discover he has a younger version of himself appear and tries to at 1st take the dial from him wanting him to live there...

"Stop the sliding. You could lose her. I almost did a few times and the dream I did nearly broke me. You can stop , you will never find your way home again. For a decade we traveled and didn't."

But in the end he realizes its their choice to continue. He helps his younger self and the older ones impact some wisdom on the travels ahead. As a nice touch older Quinn and Wade hand them a picture as they go to leave. Having them ponder if their destiny will be to grow old together as that Quinn and Wade did.

The series could be a nice one if done right by NBC . (Universal owns the rights to it..so they would have to do it)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Anyhow we all know how the show by Fox was basically turned into **** by a network that didn't understand the show and it made the creator (Tracy Torm'e) leave after how terrible it got. Then the real death nail came when Sci-Fi channel did those final 2 seasons.

A reboot series by Torm'e could could see her ignore all that crap and get it back to basics of what she wanted to do and actually be the fun series it once was. Without grim dark breeding camps and crap Fox and Sci-Fi threw in. Also as a fun wink we could see her fix the older series in a cool way.
    Holy Moley! Yikes and gadzooks The woman Tracy Tormé transitioned into a man?
    She actually precedes Larry and Andy transitioning into Lana and Lilly..

BANNED

Talking Happy 25th anniversary Sliders!!! 1995-2020

Sliders: Episode 1 - Retro Pilot Review

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    With plenty of reboots happening (CBS seems to be rebooting every 80's show possible) right now , this seems like a natural move to happen. NBC , ABC and other networks are busy rebooting other older shows with classic shows returning years later to continue while others like the CBS shows are being full reboots with a modern setting.

Sliders itself is a classic 90's sci-fi series where the setting was this as Quinn Mallory would describe in the opening...

One episode with the new cast of Quinn , Wade , Arturo and Rembrandt now land on a dimension that is older Earth and discover the original sliders. All of them alive and we get an explanation from it as Torm'e can put the nail in things.

-
    -
    - The older group detail that they spent nearly a decade traveling to so many Earths and they grew tired of nearly dying each time . Quinn can reveal he got an infection and nearly died where he dreamed crazy stuff like losing Wade and the prof. and some aliens plot with a brother as well. That once he awoke he told Wade the next best Earth they land on he would settle down with her.

The Prof. and Rembrandt agreed to this as well having grew weary themselves of trying to get home. The group found a great world and settled down. Quinn however is shocked to discover he has a younger version of himself appear and tries to at 1st take the dial from him wanting him to live there...

"Stop the sliding. You could lose her. I almost did a few times and the dream I did nearly broke me. You can stop , you will never find your way home again. For a decade we traveled and didn't."

But in the end he realizes its their choice to continue. He helps his younger self and the older ones impact some wisdom on the travels ahead. As a nice touch older Quinn and Wade hand them a picture as they go to leave. Having them ponder if their destiny will be to grow old together as that Quinn and Wade did.

The series could be a nice one if done right by NBC . (Universal owns the rights to it..so they would have to do it)
    You are in luck, because O'Connell has been slowly building support to revive it and has even met with executives. John Rhys-Davies and Tracy Tormé have both also said they'd be onboard if the show got revived. From my understanding, they want to pick it up from the end of series 2/the start of series 3 and continue on from there as if the rest didn't happen.

If anything, the end of series 3 is probably the farthest point in which everybody would be okay from picking up from. But series 3 is where everyone felt the show was going off the rails and have stated 4/5 are both best forgotten.

Haha, “death nail”. That’s a good one.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    You are in luck, because O'Connell has been slowly building support to revive it and has even met with executives. John Rhys-Davies and Tracy Tormé have both also said they'd be onboard if the show got revived. From my understanding, they want to pick it up from the end of series 2/the start of series 3 and continue on from there as if the rest didn't happen.

If anything, the end of series 3 is probably the farthest point in which everybody would be okay from picking up from. But series 3 is where everyone felt the show was going off the rails and have stated 4/5 are both best forgotten.

As long as we don't get Kromags and breeding camps ...and I want Lloyd involved or give her a better departure than what we saw last.

Personally too much time has passed. Just reboot the series fully and let O'Connell have a role as an older Quinn who has a son or daughter discover their father and mother aren't from that world. (they start sliding. Quinn can talk to them due to some watch device ala Al from Quantum Leap as they keep sliding ...)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I don't think that the basic premise works for television anymore. Part of the appeal of the show wasn't some overarching season long plot, it was really just seeing the cast interact with all these wildly different Earths. What if Nazis won WW2? What if the Soviet Union won the Cold War? What if the Roman Empire never fell? The show worked because of the episodic nature of the series, you never knew what world they would slide into next. And long series with episodic plots aren't what's in vogue today, where every possible movie or TV discussion devolves into how it would be better as a Netflix series with just 10 episodes so they can really tighten the plot and get rid of filler - Sliders was it's best when it was all filler!

There's just no desire for the kind of episodic plots of that type anymore. It's the same reason why I wouldn't want Quantum Leap coming back. A ten episode tightly plotted overarching season just doesn't get what made those series special. That kind of tv is saved just for sitcoms these days.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

You're probably right, but I preferred TV when it was more episodic. You end up getting more bang for your buck.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post

Sounds like a good idea to me.

How would I do a revival of Sliders?

Well, I'd pretty much pick up after Season 2, and start with the premise that with the assistance of a few of their counterparts in other worlds who have better versions of Sliding technology, Quinn, Wade, Arturo and Rembrandt have managed to return to their home world.

Years pass, and gradually others in the scientific/invention community become aware of the existence of Sliding. And some of them might have less than ethical uses for it.

As a result, an excuse is made to bring at least a few of the classic Sliders (if not the whole original four) out of retirement to go adventuring to other worlds. Maybe they're pursuing people who wish to loot or exploit the resources of those other worlds, or maybe they themselves need resources to help people that can't be found easily on their world (if at all). Or some other reason to visit alternate Earths.

Anyway, regardless, the show returns to the exploration of different possibilities that the first two seasons presented us with. From worlds where things went wrong, to worlds where one's dreams of being a superstar came true. The main difference being that this time, they CAN return home whenever they want to - the only problem is, they may run into situations where they have to be VERY careful about doing so, to avoid bringing back something dangerous along with them (insects, viruses, toxins, or bad guys).

And at times the Timer will (much like the TARDIS in Doctor Who) not always take them where they want to go, but where they need to be for the greater good. And sometimes, they will be able to save the day and help the residents of the other Earths, but at the same time realize there's only so much people who are just passing through can do, and know when it's time to leave the rest up to the residents.

So in short, it'd include the best aspects of the original show: Looks at alternate histories, alternate lives for the protagonists themselves, and plenty of ethical discussions (including, but not limited to, the ethics of the technology at their disposal).

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    You're probably right, but I preferred TV when it was more episodic. You end up getting more bang for your buck.
    Me too, but it's definitely not remotely popular these days outside of comedies and crime shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Me too, but it's definitely not remotely popular these days outside of comedies and crime shows.
    Doctor Who manages to get away with episodes that aren't tied in to a season-long story arc, but it seems to be the exception as far as sci-fi/fantasy shows goes these days.

Astonishing Member

I've never seen a show like the original Sliders that went from really good, to totally horrific in the final seasons. Almost everyone I knew that watched was begging for it to be cancelled near the end.

In any case, I think that a reboot would be great, a streaming service would be perfect for it, as it has a loyal die hard fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    Doctor Who manages to get away with episodes that aren't tied in to a season-long story arc, but it seems to be the exception as far as sci-fi/fantasy shows goes these days.
    I think Dr. Who has the advantage of basically being an institution in Britain at this point. It's a show that has lasted decades with a die-hard fanbase who expects certain things from it. It's a classic, and you don't futz too much with a classic. So like you said, it's easy for it to be an exception. A series that hasn't been on in two decades getting a reboot or revival... the only reason to do it would be to get some closure for the fans. Do a short season where they finally slide home.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I've never seen a show like the original Sliders that went from really good, to totally horrific in the final seasons. Almost everyone I knew that watched was begging for it to be cancelled near the end.

In any case, I think that a reboot would be great, a streaming service would be perfect for it, as it has a loyal die hard fan base.
    Disagree - streaming services are partially to largely responsible for the shift from long episodic series to short tightly plotted series. Basically the shows that are the opposite of the kind Sliders was. If it was a Netflix show we'd see 3, maybe 4 worlds tops in 10 episodes with a lot of connected plot points and overarching plot more than just "trying to get home." A different world every episode just doesn't allow the kind of connected storytelling streaming sites are known for.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Disagree - streaming services are partially to largely responsible for the shift from long episodic series to short tightly plotted series. Basically the shows that are the opposite of the kind Sliders was. If it was a Netflix show we'd see 3, maybe 4 worlds tops in 10 episodes with a lot of connected plot points and overarching plot more than just "trying to get home." A different world every episode just doesn't allow the kind of connected storytelling streaming sites are known for.
    You could make each season really short (4-6 episodes) and focus on a single world per season. But release the seasons two or three times a year.

One idea is to just remake the original pilot. This is a new Quinn Mallory (different actor) making his first slide and he encounters Jerry O'Connell's Quinn who has been sliding for 25+ years. Depending on if they get anyone else back, we either get the old gang trying to get home or Quinn in an Arturo like role to the new Sliders.

The other is to play off the idea of the timer from the original series. Quinn and his team missed a window and had to live on one of the parallel Earths as a result. Maybe the timer was destroyed and it has taken 25 years to rebuild. Depending on who they get back besides