Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

a reboot starring the other group of sliders - the lizard people.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

You can do an over arching plot as the characters do slide to each Earth. Maybe they are on the run from a military group as Chris pointed out or a secret Government group that took Quinn's technology and is wanting to use it. You can make the episodes stand alone of course like the old days but the connecting plot .."We have to keep sliding until we find a solution to this..." happens.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Mighty Member

I liked the first year or two of the original Sliders, but the premise doesn't really lend itself to the kind of television that people watch these days. And, honestly, after the last few seasons I'm not sure there's any meaningful appetite for a new series.

Though, it might be fun to do a reboot that ends up not being a reboot.

Imagine, our first episode: We meet Quinn Mallory. Only this Quinn is an early twenties female (in my head, now to be played by Maya Hawke). She's a bit of a slacker. She works a nothing job, coasts along through simple classes at the local community college. But we see that she's actually brilliant, and for whatever reason wasting her talents in this way. We also meet her friend Wade, and learn the pair go way back. After a brief period of set up, the two find themselves summoned to the office of Professor Arturo, a figure we learn to be an intimidating presence about the college campus. Known for being incredibly harsh and difficult to please. But then while the two are sitting outside the professor's office, they find a box beneath one of their seats and open it to reveal the timer. Which promptly hits zero, and the portal opens just in front of them, sucking them in.

The duo have an adventure on a parallel world. It finally dawns on them that the timer is probably critical to this whole thing, and they manage to retrieve it, probably just in the nick of time. The episode ends with the timer hitting zero, and the pair leap through a new portal hoping to get home... only to land on an entirely new world. Where they are greeted by Jerry O'Connell, mouth agape, and holding a timer of his own. Tease the entire thing as a full reboot, only to reveal that our new characters are counterparts of the original Sliders. Then you use the second episode to set up some kind of mystery with how our new heroes got their timer, cause Jerry O'Connell to slide out on his own, and launch our new program.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    You could make each season really short (4-6 episodes) and focus on a single world per season. But release the seasons two or three times a year.

One idea is to just remake the original pilot. This is a new Quinn Mallory (different actor) making his first slide and he encounters Jerry O'Connell's Quinn who has been sliding for 25+ years. Depending on if they get anyone else back, we either get the old gang trying to get home or Quinn in an Arturo like role to the new Sliders.

The other is to play off the idea of the timer from the original series. Quinn and his team missed a window and had to live on one of the parallel Earths as a result. Maybe the timer was destroyed and it has taken 25 years to rebuild. Depending on who they get back besides
    I really just don't see that happening. If each season was that short? We'd only see one or two worlds a season. And Netflix has trouble getting a series past three seasons. So we might get six/eight worlds total whole series. I'm using Netflix as the measuring stick since other streaming services are too new.

BANNED

Sliders Episode 2: Summer of Love - Retro Review

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by somecrazyaussie View Post
    you are in luck, because o'connell has been slowly building support to revive it and has even met with executives. John rhys-davies and tracy tormé have both also said they'd be onboard if the show got revived. From my understanding, they want to pick it up from the end of series 2/the start of series 3
    Let this come true!!!
    and continue on from there as if the rest didn't happen.
    This too!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I think Dr. Who has the advantage of basically being an institution in Britain at this point. It's a show that has lasted decades with a die-hard fanbase who expects certain things from it. It's a classic, and you don't futz too much with a classic. So like you said, it's easy for it to be an exception. A series that hasn't been on in two decades getting a reboot or revival... the only reason to do it would be to get some closure for the fans. Do a short season where they finally slide home.
    I agree. The only way it would survive in the current streaming/binge watching environment is having a overarching plot for each season (maybe a season spent on one earth?). However, that format might get old quick.

No, just bring it back and finally end it on their own terms according to their original plan. Something the X-Files should have done with its revival.

BANNED

Sliders Episode 3: Prince of Wails - Retro Review

So opinions was Arturo replaced by his doppleganger and it was he who died?

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    So opinions was Arturo replaced by his doppleganger and it was he who died?
    Ah, that would be referring to the ending of 'Post Traumatic Slide Syndrome', where the four of them discover a world that first appears to be their home world, only the Golden Gate bridge is blue and Rembrandt's royalty deals with his former bandmates are different. And apparently their counterparts slid to other worlds, but that world's Arturo missed his chance and was left behind. At the end of the episode, that world's Arturo and the Arturo who was with them the whole time have a scuffle as the portal opens. One of the Arturos leaps through the portal, and the other is left behind after the portal closes, but we don't know which one.

It's left ambiguous. The Arturo left behind is briefly shown to be upset when the portal closes, and his reaction makes sense either way: Either he's upset because he once again missed his chance to go traveling to other worlds (in which case he'd be that world's Arturo), or he's upset because he's cut off from his friends and is stranded in a world that's not his (in which case he'd be the Arturo that was with them from the start). The episode ends with Rembrandt talking to a therapist noting that they're still not sure if the Arturo that's with them now is the same one that started the journey with them.

And as near as I can tell, this is never brought up again. Though one would assume it'd be fairly easy for the others to find out. All they need to do is talk about their previous adventures on other worlds to Arturo. If it's not the same Arturo they started with, he wouldn't be able to get away with bluffing and pretending to remember those adventures, and would soon have to admit it.

But as I said, the whole possibility of the switch was never mentioned in any of the episodes that followed, if I recall correctly, and has left fans of the show wondering ever since.

cast the show with all new actor but start with the original group.
    get all new writers. have more social commentary with storylines.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Never really accepted the Alt Arturo theory. He just didn't act like the Alt Arturo.

Really wanted more Logan St. Claire.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    As long as we don't get Kromags and breeding camps ...and I want Lloyd involved or give her a better departure than what we saw last.
    100% in agreement with this.

BANNED

Sliders The Movie

BANNED

The middle finger at 2:28 and the start of the f-bombs rant at 2:40 will guarantee it 'll be a smash hit like Star Trek: Picard.