Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sports Fans... I know right.

There's nothing out there. Sporting events have crowds and we're not doing crowds right now.

Regardless of their hesitation, the NBA is going to have to shelf this season. IF MLB resumes in a couple months or more I doubt we'll be out from under the major restrictions to even resume that in all major cities. I'm hesitant to even feel the NFL will start as normal. Olympics... better to cancel now however they are only now mulling postponement. Canada and Australia have already declined to send their athletes. 90 days I don't think is enough time to resume competition where 100,000's of thousands gather and send everyone back home. Sports around the world world have paused and when they return all of it will be consumed differently with the distancing that is required going forward.

CBS broadcasted the 92 NCAA game this past weekend. This little bit of NFL free agency news has been about it and that won't last much longer. If it comes down to it, I've got my VCR in the basement and I guess I'll be watching old Colts games from when Peyton was here. So are you watching old games or what?
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Fox Sports Ohio has run a couple replays of Reds games from the last couple seasons. And I have been watching replays of NFL games that the NFL network has been showing. AS a sports fan this is a bad time. I doubt that MLB will have a season. I am sure the Olympics will be postponed and if the NFL starts on time I will be very surprised.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Fox Sports Ohio has run a couple replays of Reds games from the last couple seasons. And I have been watching replays of NFL games that the NFL network has been showing. AS a sports fan this is a bad time. I doubt that MLB will have a season. I am sure the Olympics will be postponed and if the NFL starts on time I will be very surprised.
    Canada and several other countries have already announced if there are Olympics, they won't be sending their athletes.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

MLBtv has unlocked the last two seasons. MLB has uploaded classic games on youtube. MLB Network is showing lots of classics, with team focused days.

But, no, there likely isn't going to be any sports this year.

I feel bad for the players. Guys on the final years of their careers. Guys about to break into the majors. Guys hoping to, losing valuable development time.

It's a shame, but this is where our Republican government has left us.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Canada and several other countries have already announced if there are Olympics, they won't be sending their athletes.
    Yea I saw that but the mayor of Tokyo keeps talking about how the games will go on and the Olympic officials wont commit to postponing the games. They seem to have their head in the sand. America shut down their their training center which makes it very hard for the athletes to train and be competitive in the coming games so I am sure they will will end up not sending their team or that several members of their team will sit out because of the Virus and because they cant train the way they should.

On the baseball front I feel bad for the Reds. They made more off season moves then they have made in the last decade. They were going to compete. I doubt they would have won the division but they would have had a better showing then they have had in 5 years.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I wonder how this effects contracts? If there is no baseball season, how does that factor in to contracts?

I believe players are being paid anyway, so I'm sure it counts.

Watching the best sports of all - political drama!

No, I've been getting my baseball fix from playing Baseball on my phone (MLB Tap). Can't bring myself to watch old games or that kind of stuff.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I believe there's been an official statement that the Olympics have been postponed.

https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/n...c-member-says/

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    I believe there's been an official statement that the Olympics have been postponed.

https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/n...c-member-says/
    Just heard about that a few minutes ago. An inevitable decision, but the right one. I think it’s safe to say the NBA and NHL seasons are toast, if restrictions on large gatherings lasts into May, we’re talking two months since games were halted, in the time it would take for players to get back into shape, it’ll be June, I just don’t think it’ll work. Baseball? God only knows when the season will start, if it starts at all, I’m starting to think it probably won’t. The NFL? Even that might take a hit, COVID-19 isn’t operating on anyone’s timetable, who’s to say it might not still be a problem by the time camps start up come July? With the exception of the Olympics, not even two World Wars stopped the games from being played, but a goddamn microbe brought the sports world to a screeching halt. It’s insane.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

NBA and NHL will likely just have to cancel their seasons. Even if things calm down enough that they could play again the summer they are going to have a hard time finding places to play since their stadiums will already be in use for other events.

And if they played in the summer they would then have to cancel part of the next season to give players some time off between seasons. So I expect they'll just cancel the current seasons and hope for the best next year.

MLB might play a half season.

You asked and you shall receive.

A report on Tuesday said that ESPN would release its 10-part Michael Jordan documentary, The Last Dance, earlier than expected with NBA fans everywhere calling for the Worldwide Leader to show it while we’re all stuck at home.

Sure enough, the network made it official: on April 19, 2020, we’re getting the first couple of parts and the rest will be rolled out over the coming weeks.

The news came with one final trailer and a look at the full schedule so we can all start counting the days until we get 10 episodes (!) of 1990s Chicago Bulls goodness.
    I mean... I was fully aware of the Jordan era during it's peak in the early 1990's. I knew guys in school that were Jordan acolytes man. I was little when he was at North Carolina so maybe the early stuff will be dope but, not for nothin' he was never 'my guy' in the really loaded days of the NBA. It'll give me something I guess.
    You bet yer ass.

Confirming yesterday's leak, the NBA announced an esports tournament that will kick off this Friday, with games broadcast on ESPN and ESPN2. The NBA 2K Players Tournament will pit 16 current NBA players against one another, with finals scheduled to take place April 11th and air on ESPN. The winner will select a charity beneficiary to receive $100,000 in support of coronavirus relief efforts.
    This they've been doing with NASCAR the past couple weeks but man I am not feeling watching pros play the game like that... even if it 2K Maybe if someone tosses a controller across the room but if that's all I'm lookin' forward to hell I can do that.

NASCAR holds the record for the most watched eSports event in history
    That record was set last week during the broadcast at Homestead-Miami Speedway. This week, they broke it.
    You bet yer ass.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Well, it was announced yesterday that Wimbledon has been shelved until next year.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Whilst not "sports" as such Wrestlemania is going ahead, but in a ridiculously small venue with no audience.

The roar of the crowd is Wrestlemania. Wonder if they are going to have an audience track playing.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.