Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
Yeah... that was just a whole lot of nuthin'. I was almost excited about Secret Invasion because of just how badly the current roster of characters had been written. ESPECIALLY in Civil War.... There was such a grand opportunity to say 'Nope, that wasn't them.... here's the real version back'. Then they had the crashed ship with a bunch of characters coming out... and i don't even remember what happened. I don't remember ANY impressive changes happening at all. I think mockingbird came back to life... but everyone else who could have been a skrull... was a skrull and there were zero surprises or satisfaction at all.

Yeah... if they wanted to do Civil War 'right'. Step 1 would have been to actually determine what the heck the registration act ACTUALLY entailed. In some books heroes could disappear and retire quietly ... in others they were arrested for refusing to sign up. Sometimes they signed and did their own thing... in others they are automatically servants of SHIELD who are sent to kill their friends.... Too many writers and zero consistency. It was madness trying to get any legitimate decision on who was 'right' when the foundation of the fight kept moving.

Step 2: remember that they were STILL HEROES. I though it was STUPID the way they treated these 'heroes' so much WORSE than actual murdering VILLAINS. Bullseye gets locked up in maximum security prison.... Daredevil gets thrown into a negative zone prison... Villains get warrants put out for them... Heroes get armored 'Cape-killer' troops sent after them in their homes... It was ridiculous.
Definitely agree with you on both of those steps. That said, I think the reason Civil War turned out as it did was that so many of the writers disagreed with the premise of it and went out of their way to portray the pro-registration side/forces as not just wrong, but flat-out evil. Of course, Marvel wanted to insist that Iron Man was in the right all along, even as more and more violations of civil, constitutional, and even human rights were being committed by his side, so that was how we got the ending we got. Not helping matters, either, was that the writer of the main miniseries was on record at one point saying he actually went with what he thought American readers would prefer in a post-9/11 environment --- security over freedom, basically a big middle finger to Americans in real life for looking the other way on expansions of government power and law enforcement authority in the wake of 9/11 that abridged civil liberties and constitutional rights.