Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    I honestly still think that was too much of a stretch, part of Steve's appeal was that mentally he was still the same guy he was before receiving the serum. It used to be that the Super Soldier Serum could only enhance someone physically to the peak potential of the human condition, but over the years writers tweaking things and adding stuff so that it could do more. Saying that Steve's always had some level of hyper intelligence but never applied it before Captain Hydra honestly feels more like a cop out than clever.
    I don't know... Steve's training and experience was always a little suspect. It seems they wanted him to be the ultimate soldier and trained to be the best... while immediately thrown into the war... and at home... and the pacific theater... And then frozen before it was over... There just was never enough time in his story to be the ultimate tactician and leader that he's always been. Not to mention the way he adapts to the modern age with super computers and nanotech... but my dad from the 60's can't program a remote control.... Saying that the serum made him able to process information and strategy or something... I can buy that. It still fits with the 'super soldier' concept.

What I can NOT buy is that Steve was only giving 75% when he was leading the Avengers and Marvel in general... but when he went evil he now was smarter and more strategic than ever before. Steve gives 100% of everything he ever has. He always uses every tool at his control to win.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I don't know... Steve's training and experience was always a little suspect. It seems they wanted him to be the ultimate soldier and trained to be the best... while immediately thrown into the war... and at home... and the pacific theater... And then frozen before it was over... There just was never enough time in his story to be the ultimate tactician and leader that he's always been. Not to mention the way he adapts to the modern age with super computers and nanotech... but my dad from the 60's can't program a remote control.... Saying that the serum made him able to process information and strategy or something... I can buy that. It still fits with the 'super soldier' concept.

What I can NOT buy is that Steve was only giving 75% when he was leading the Avengers and Marvel in general... but when he went evil he now was smarter and more strategic than ever before. Steve gives 100% of everything he ever has. He always uses every tool at his control to win.
    I don't think it was that he was literally only giving 75% of his mind when he was the foremost good guy of the Marvel Universe, but more that his morality wouldn't let him go in certain directions that could be more efficient, but would require less regard for sacrificing innocents or those fighting by his side. In shorter words --- Steve wouldn't accept collateral damage as the price of meeting his objectives, but HYDRA-Cap wouldn't blink twice.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

Original Sin
    - Orb serve as the primary antagonist to the event.

Axis
    - Have Mister Negative replace Red Skull as the primary antagonist of the event and the catalyst for the Inversion, don't know why this wasn't the case from the onset considering it's literally something Martin Li is known for. Everything pertaining to Red Skull and the brain transplant was completely unnecessary so would be removed in it's entirety.
    - Outside of a possible cameo Old Man Rodgers wouldn't have played any part in the event on the grounds that the whole reason he gave up the shield was because he was too old to keep running around playing Avenger.
    - Have Sam take on Steve's role during the event, with him having managed to escape the Inversion and rallying other heroes to aid in stopping Mister Negative and reverse the effects of the Inversion.
    - Without the desecration of Xavier's corpse or his brain being in play the X-Men would have no reason to get involved until after the inversion takes place, with a few of them being deployed to deal with the inverted members of the Unity Squad. Likewise would ignore the needless retcon to Wanda & Pietro's origins, with them remaining the children of Magneto.
    - Inverted characters would subsist solely of members of the Avengers present during the initial Inversion and focus on them serving as muscle for Mister Negative, disposing of potential rivals and granting him access to resources he otherwise couldn't get.

I feel as if they missed an opportunity to make Madame Hydra a top tier villainess during Secret Empire. I think that should have all been a front for a war between the elder gods with Elsa trying to become top dog in much the same way as the Red Skull took over Hydra. It would take someone god level to alter Steve’s history and change Mjolnir’s enchantment. It would also explain why Chthon was onboard. They needed the strength of Captain America’s image to cast their spell.

Quote Originally Posted by adamishere1 View Post
    So I'm currently re-reading Avengers vs X-Men. It got me thinking if you could rewrite some of the Marvel Comics events, first off would you? secondly how? thirdly would you change one little thing or the whole event?
    I'd change the initiative to have more mini series and one-shots based in different cities across the country. New teams, new heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I feel as if they missed an opportunity to make Madame Hydra a top tier villainess during Secret Empire. I think that should have all been a front for a war between the elder gods with Elsa trying to become top dog in much the same way as the Red Skull took over Hydra. It would take someone god level to alter Steve’s history and change Mjolnir’s enchantment. It would also explain why Chthon was onboard. They needed the strength of Captain America’s image to cast their spell.
    I like that idea. That could've worked.

When Secret Wars was released, all comics were halted and replaced by tie-in comics set in Battleworld... with a few exceptions. Spider-Gwen, the comic written by Latour, continued uninterrupted. There was a tie-in, "Spider-Verse", starring Spider-Gwen, but it was another Spider-Gwen, native to Battleworld and unrelated to the main one. All this mess is discussed, in-universe, in Ultimate Secret Wars Chapter 14: Into the Spider-Verse, from the point of view of Uatu. Yes, Earth-65's Uatu.

Incredible Member

Age of Ultron
    - Hank Pym, Victor Manchas, Jocasta, & Vision would have played a larger role than they were actually given in the event given their ties to Ultron. Likewise I feel like Cable and/or Bishop should have actually been a central character considering all the time travel shenanigans that went into this, that being said though I probably would have limited the amount of time travel done and definitely downplayed the consequences of killing Pym because quite honestly they felt too outlandish for what they did.
    - If anything I feel like this event could, and probably should have been presented more along the lines of Terminator. Would have been less convoluted if it had involved either Ultron sending something from the future to destroy/kill something/someone in present or going back in time to systematically kill the Avengers in the past with a significantly more advanced body than they’re prepared for. In both cases someone follows him back through time to preserve the timestream and prevent whatever Ultron has planned, as previously stated I feel like Cable/Bishop would be ideal for this particular endeavor given their temporal natures though it might also be interesting to utilize a future version of a lesser known hero or villain.
    - I do feel like ending the event with the death of (future/present) Hank Pym would have been ideal and organic to the story, with the epilogue foreshadowing Pym-tron via contingency plan Ultron shown to have been place in the event of his defeat. Also might be a good way to retroactively introduce Darren Cross as Yellowjacket much earlier as a consequence of aforementioned time travel shenanigans.

Rage of Ultron
    - Simply put: Ultron vs Ultron
    - I maintain that for what he is Ultron works better as a cosmic villain, particularly after the events of Annihilation: Conquest, and given that this event was originally centered on one of Ultron’s previous iterations finally landing on Titan after X years I personally think it would have been more interesting to have a previous version of Ultron encounter a newer model and go to war.

Clone Saga
    - honestly I would have ended the event much sooner than they did and left the identity of the clone ambiguous since it could have always been revisited at a later date, until then though we wouldn’t have known whether Peter or Ben was actually the clone.
    - Would have left Aunt May & Norman Osborn dead, their arcs were closed out and there was really no reason for Marvel to bring either of them back. Jackal and Kaine would have served as the main antagonist of the arc like they always should have.
    Last edited by Draegwolf; 05-09-2020 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    Age of Ultron
    - Hank Pym, Victor Manchas, Jocasta, & Vision would have played a larger role than they were actually given in the event given their ties to Ultron. Likewise I feel like Cable and/or Bishop should have actually been a central character considering all the time travel shenanigans that went into this, that being said though I probably would have limited the amount of time travel done and definitely downplayed the consequences of killing Pym because quite honestly they felt too outlandish for what they did.
    - If anything I feel like this event could, and probably should have been presented more along the lines of Terminator. Would have been less convoluted if it had involved either Ultron sending something from the future to destroy/kill something/someone in present or going back in time to systematically kill the Avengers in the past with a significantly more advanced body than they’re prepared for. In both cases someone follows him back through time to preserve the timestream and prevent whatever Ultron has planned, as previously stated I feel like Cable/Bishop would be ideal for this particular endeavor given their temporal natures though it might also be interesting to utilize a future version of a lesser known hero or villain.
    - I do feel like ending the event with the death of (future/present) Hank Pym would have been ideal and organic to the story, with the epilogue foreshadowing Pym-tron via contingency plan Ultron shown to have been place in the event of his defeat. Also might be a good way to retroactively introduce Darren Cross as Yellowjacket much earlier as a consequence of aforementioned time travel shenanigans.

Rage of Ultron
    - Simply put: Ultron vs Ultron
    - I maintain that for what he is Ultron works better as a cosmic villain, particularly after the events of Annihilation: Conquest, and given that this event was originally centered on one of Ultron’s previous iterations finally landing on Titan after X years I personally think it would have been more interesting to have a previous version of Ultron encounter a newer model and go to war.

Clone Saga
    - honestly I would have ended the event much sooner than they did and left the identity of the clone ambiguous since it could have always been revisited at a later date, until then though we wouldn’t have known whether Peter or Ben was actually the clone.
    - Would have left Aunt May & Norman Osborn dead, their arcs were closed out and there was really no reason for Marvel to bring either of them back. Jackal and Kaine would have served as the main antagonist of the arc like they always should have.
    Generally like those ideas, especially on the Clone Saga.

Incredible Member

Original Sin
    - Orb serve as primary antagonist to the event, with him shown to be acting under of a higher power in the form of another entity like Shuma-Gorath or Cthon and making the transition to supernatural supervillain
    - Probably incorporate a lot more misdirects throughout the storyline given the nature of the event in question, playing it off more like a spy thriller or straightforward noir than it was initially depicted. At the same time incorporate elements of horror given the nature of the villains involved and the catalyst in question
    - Given Uatu’s presence and how big a deal he is this is probably one of the few terrestrial events I could conceivably see the Guardians getting involved in, however at the same time I don’t really see them trusting the Avengers or choosing to interact with them so probably would just have them investigating Uatu’s death independently for the most part which in itself could make for a nice tie-in event.
    - Rather than be revealed all at once each character’s sins/secret would be revealed during their initial encounter against Orb, which would be spread out over the course of the event and/or tie-ins.
    - Include the Bloodstones (or at least Elsa), Black Knight, and one of the Ghost Rider’s as central characters in the event, with their own revelations tying into the story by way of Ulysses for the Bloodstones and Eli Morrow for Ghost Rider (if Robbie Reyes, honestly I don’t remember if he was event around during the event)
    - I’ve already mentioned how I would have the revelation Peter would have learned is that both Ben Reilly and his stillborn daughter survived the conclusion of the Clone Saga, a few ideas I had for other characters would have included: Black Knight discovering the Ebony Blade to be sentient entity responsible for slowly corrupting him; Red Hulk’s identity and unjust persecution against Bruce Banner/Hulk being broadcast to the entire world; Thor, on top of losing the ability to lift Mjolnir, learning Donald Blake exist as a real person; Star-Lord finding out he’s not the son of J’son of Spartax; Ghost Rider learning of the fate and locations of Caretaker’s soul; etc.

Black Vortex
    - supplement X-Men’s involvement with Annihilators, Knowhere Corp, Starjammers, and/or Warbound, possibly other cosmic groups/races
    - use Thane or Hiro-Kala as primary antagonist; minimize involvement of Mr. Knife (J’son) in favor of Maximus the Mad or another plausible villain
    - supplement the Slaughter Squad with the Black Order

Annihilation Scourge
    - supplement the Sentry & Cancerverse’s role as events antagonist with one or more of the following characters/organizations: Knull, Church of Universal Truth, Hala of the Kree
    - events of Donny Gates run of Guardians of the Galaxy (Faithless), Absolute Carnage, and The Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda shown to lead into and/or run parallel to the Scourge
    - Knull: the Scourge shown to be the aftermath of Knull’s escape following the events of Absolute Carnage, with Knull’s legions of crazed Symbiotes mindlessly swarming across the galaxy either consuming or assimilating everything in their path on the way to Earth; Church of Universal Truth coming to serve under the Symbiote god and launch a galaxy-wide crusade against the enemies of their faith;
    - central characters: Wraith, Silver Surfer, Nova, T’Challa, Beta Ray Bill
    - factions: Guardians of the Galaxy, Fantastic Four(?), New Warriors(?), Annihilators, Warbound, Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda

I would go back to avx and have everyone not forget phoenix was on earth for years in a blasted X-Men spin-off team and no one gave a crap and it never killed the planet. Hate crossovers that ignore years of history like that.

Go back to bendis first avengers story and have the marvel editors do their blasted job and tell bandis his story can not work in the main universe as wanda got over her kids decades ago in wca and dr strange used chaos magic himself so it's real and go back and rewrite it again.

One more day would be a bad dream peter had after eating taco bell and he would wake up laugh at a dream where dr strange can't remove a lousy bullet and say it was like a awful comic story that would get rejected.

Dr doom would not go back to a bad guy again after just a year forcing us to once again have him hate the ff in a unthinkable rip off story and set up the same doom vs ff story for the 800000th time.

Dr ock would not go back to being a bad guy again making that full series a complete waste of time.

Incredible Member

I loved Hickman's Avengers but it should be said he didn't entirely stick the landing in many ways and he left a lot of dangling threads that no writer ever touched.

Time Runs Out was a sore point with Steve Rogers in an Exo suit and inverted Stark killing each. It's never really explained how they are alive when the universe is remade as it's supposed to the exactly the same save for Miles Morales always having existed there and Wakanda being restored so they should still be dead, right? Also when All-New, All-Different launched we're supposed to simply accept Stark's inversion wore off.

Personally I'd have had it look as if Steve and Tony were fighting to the death only for Steve to bust out some tech (made by Hank Pym or someone) that he attaches to Tony's head to painfully knock him out. Old man Steve's heart gives out and he collapses on an unconscious Stark. When Steve stirs awake he sees two lights (remember the importance of Captain Universe seeing two lights early in the run that Hickman never got back to) and when his vision comes into focus it is the lamps above an operating table as a now un-inverted Tony standing over him. Both battered and bruised they see in the end of the world together. You could even have narrator saying that one was life the other was death (Hickman never really resolved that either) in this case Steve was death since he died and Stark was life as he saved Steve's life.

Secret Wars was great but we never got an explanation of what the hell was going on with Carol Danvers and Mr Sinister or how he'd somehow transformed her. I know a lot of people liked his use of X-Men villains but unless he was seeding something for an eventual X-Men run I'd have done away with it. Perhaps have Carol round up warriors to fight Doom instead maybe Kree ones that were on Battle World.

Cyclops bonding with the Phoenix was hugely disapointing as it seemed to be just to show how strong God Emporor Doom was by snapping his neck a couple of issues in. Unless it was deliberate on Hickman's part as some kind of commentary on Marvel's then perceived mistreatment of the X franchise. I would used Cyclops/Phoenix to restart the the X franchise in much the was that T'Challa send the last infinity gem to remake Wakanda maybe Scott could have done the same to the mutant community.

Also I mentioned Captain Universe before we really needed some closure on Hickman's version of the character. If they could have pages recreating the opening scene from Hickman's New Avengers #1 he could have had a panel or two showing the human host reunited with her daughter no longer broken and free of the Uni power.

Incredible Member

Infinity Wars & Infinity Warps
    Honestly I might have to revisit this event a few times because imo there is a LOT to unpack to salvage it and make it into a worthwhile story with as much stuff as they crammed into such a short event. For the duration I’m mostly gonna focus on some broad strokes about what bothered me the most off the top of my head.
    - While Requiem would remain the central villain of the event she would be shown to be the fusion of Gamora & Nebula to justify her more violent actions (particularly the murder of Star-Lord), with Requiem herself having come into being through the corruption of the Soul Gem via the entity Devondra.
    - Actually put some thought into the fusions so that they’re not just a bunch of random hodgepodge pairings. I’ll admit we had some decent ones but they were very far and few between and even then most of them really didn’t make any sense. I understand what Marvel was trying to do but even the Amalgamated characters they created with DC were at least designed to compliment both characters. Why the hell anyone would thinking fusing Logan with Emma Frost or Scott Lang with Hulk was a good idea when there were better candidates for every party is beyond me. If they hadn’t already introduced him ahead of time I feel like Weapon-H could have been a good fusion for this. And actually, that brings me to another point of contention…
    - Rather than shoehorn the origins of both parent characters, amalgamated characters would be incorporate whatever elements from their components origins that compliment the other to weave a unique origin for themselves. If for example, Punisher fused with Johnny Blaze, it’s perfectly fine to keep Frank Castle’s origin and roll over Johnny Blaze’s deal with Mephistopheles and transformation into a Spirit of Vengeance after Frank’s family is murdered. Take what you need from both components, Blaze’s powers/ride, Castle’s training/arsenal, a mix of motivations from both, etc. and boom! Say hello to Death Wish.

Incredible Member

- If it’s not broken don’t fix it. The origins established for Doom, Hulk, Ghost Rider, & Spider-Man were fine, don’t see any need to revisit them for the sake of needless retcons, rather than make unnecessary changes to fix something that wasn’t broken use what’s already been established as a jumping off point for the event.
    - Use the tie-in miniseries (screw one-shots) to close out previously existing storylines Marvel wasn’t able to back in the 90’s because of the comic bust.
    - Avoid rolling over any characters from the present into 2099, it’s one thing to tease Doom still being around but the whole point of this era was that everyone from the Age of Heroes is gone. Peter being mentioned by Miguel because of continuity & Conan is fine seeing as he just arrived on the Marvel landscape but otherwise nobody else. No Logan, Laura, Gabby, Daken, Wade, etc. All the Asgardians are gone and as far as everybody knows probably never existed. Apocalypse hasn’t been seen since the Age of Heroes, the Eternals, Externals, what have you all died out or left earth during some unspecified event.

- Fantastic Four 2099: result of corporate experiments on unwilling test subjects, with the Four being the first test subjects to survive the procedure without developing any significant side effects or adverse mutations. Teams powers comparable to those of the original iterations. Theme: corruption

- Venom 2099: replace Venom symbiote with suit of nanomachines; onboard AI achieved degree of sentience following exposure to virus; possibly use Endo-Syn Armor (Superior Iron Man) as template

- X-Men 2099: Would center around mutants reemerging for the first time in years as people develop a resistance to the suppressants for the X-gene. Honestly outside of maybe one or two characters I never really cared for the X-Men 2099 or their execution, felt a little too forced for my taste. With that in mind I’d probably just whip up a new batch of mutants for this or retool aspects about certain characters, yes it would require retconning a few things but in this case I think it’s a bit more necessary. Likewise would keep the roster down to a more manageable size in keeping with how the team originally started, so about 5 active members not counting whatever would pass for the new Xavier. Ideally I would prefer to give each character their own mini or one-shot to flesh them out before rolling them over into an ongoing series together but I think that’d be asking too much. Keeping with what the X-Men (used to) stand for the series would focus heavily on themes of equality and revolution.

- Wolverine 2099: Series would focus on Wolverine protecting mutantkind by actively hunting anti-mutant hate groups, corporations, and individuals that pose a threat to mutants. Created as part of clandestine program known as Project-X; clandestine program dedicated to the pursuit and eradication of mutants/mutates on behalf of [corporation/government]. Unlike Logan, title character would be shown to have volunteered; letting himself be subjected to numerous experimental procedures to augment his physical abilities and aid in acquisition and disposal of mutants. The mantle of Wolverine would originally be taken on in jest with [Wolverine] adopting it in earnest following the start of his crusade. Resolve to the program would falter upon the discovery of the X-Gene in his child early on in the series; with [him] spending several issues trying to keep his child’s mutant nature hidden from his superiors but ultimately being found out; death of child would be the catalyst Wolverine turning against Project-X and start protecting mutants

- Black Panther 2099: possibly serve as descendent of the Wakandan Royal Family; alternately random Wakandan revolutionary; in both cases potentially an exile. Wakanda shown to have expanded its borders in the years following T’Challa’s death; monarchy replaced by Council/Democratic system. The Dora Milaje grown to encompass security for all of Wakanda, serving as more of a police force alongside the Midnight Angels. Potentially replace traditional vibranium Panther Habit with Klyntar symbiote (Bast); assuming more panther-like features. Theme: heritage/revolution.

- Deadpool 2099: possibly depict as unwilling star of reality TV show similar to Longshot; potentially originate from the Mojo-verse or (illegally) genetically engineered by (company/show) solely for the sake of the show

- Thor 2099: center around an amnesiac baring a strong resemblance to Ultimate Thor that would be shown to be one of the last Thorites following purge, hammer & powers the result of artificial Mjolnir & battle armor. While not practical for a one-shot or mini-series one of the ongoing plot threads would be the implication of the central character either being the reincarnation of Thor Odinson or having some connections to him that would be explored over the course of a series. Primary theme would be faith.

- Dr. Strange 2099: build series around the concept of magic trying to reassert itself in a world dominated by science & technology. title character shown to discover the Eye of Aggamoto early into the series, artifact acting as the title characters gateway into the world of magic; with the Cloak of Levitation and Sorcerer Sanctorum appearing over the course of the series alongside other mystic artifacts thought lost to time. theme: magic

- Inhumans 2099: Taking a few cues from the mutants and the X-Men the series would deal with the aforementioned group discreetly resurfacing, either following the destruction of Attilan after some unspecified event or after secretly hiding from humanity underground for years. As Marvel never capitalized on the opportunity while pushing the Inhumans, the theme would center on immigration.