Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Yeah... that was just a whole lot of nuthin'. I was almost excited about Secret Invasion because of just how badly the current roster of characters had been written. ESPECIALLY in Civil War.... There was such a grand opportunity to say 'Nope, that wasn't them.... here's the real version back'. Then they had the crashed ship with a bunch of characters coming out... and i don't even remember what happened. I don't remember ANY impressive changes happening at all. I think mockingbird came back to life... but everyone else who could have been a skrull... was a skrull and there were zero surprises or satisfaction at all.

Yeah... if they wanted to do Civil War 'right'. Step 1 would have been to actually determine what the heck the registration act ACTUALLY entailed. In some books heroes could disappear and retire quietly ... in others they were arrested for refusing to sign up. Sometimes they signed and did their own thing... in others they are automatically servants of SHIELD who are sent to kill their friends.... Too many writers and zero consistency. It was madness trying to get any legitimate decision on who was 'right' when the foundation of the fight kept moving.

Step 2: remember that they were STILL HEROES. I though it was STUPID the way they treated these 'heroes' so much WORSE than actual murdering VILLAINS. Bullseye gets locked up in maximum security prison.... Daredevil gets thrown into a negative zone prison... Villains get warrants put out for them... Heroes get armored 'Cape-killer' troops sent after them in their homes... It was ridiculous.
    Definitely agree with you on both of those steps. That said, I think the reason Civil War turned out as it did was that so many of the writers disagreed with the premise of it and went out of their way to portray the pro-registration side/forces as not just wrong, but flat-out evil. Of course, Marvel wanted to insist that Iron Man was in the right all along, even as more and more violations of civil, constitutional, and even human rights were being committed by his side, so that was how we got the ending we got. Not helping matters, either, was that the writer of the main miniseries was on record at one point saying he actually went with what he thought American readers would prefer in a post-9/11 environment --- security over freedom, basically a big middle finger to Americans in real life for looking the other way on expansions of government power and law enforcement authority in the wake of 9/11 that abridged civil liberties and constitutional rights.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Definitely agree with you on both of those steps. That said, I think the reason Civil War turned out as it did was that so many of the writers disagreed with the premise of it and went out of their way to portray the pro-registration side/forces as not just wrong, but flat-out evil. Of course, Marvel wanted to insist that Iron Man was in the right all along, even as more and more violations of civil, constitutional, and even human rights were being committed by his side, so that was how we got the ending we got. Not helping matters, either, was that the writer of the main miniseries was on record at one point saying he actually went with what he thought American readers would prefer in a post-9/11 environment --- security over freedom, basically a big middle finger to Americans in real life for looking the other way on expansions of government power and law enforcement authority in the wake of 9/11 that abridged civil liberties and constitutional rights.
    I can understand Marvel's idea... Not that I think they believed it was 'right'... but that they thought it would be 'interesting.' If pro-registration wins, everything changes and who knows what will happen... if anti-regulation wins, then it's back to status quo and everything goes along normally... I can see why the bosses want pro to win. but... yeah, it sure was written TERRIBLY.

I see this a lot like new 52. There are just too many events, and nobody has time to actually PLAN them. There needed to be rules about what registration actually WAS.. and an editor that corrected the tie in writers who just made up crap that was contradictory.

ESPECIALLY if this book was meant to be the foundation for the next 10 years of stories... it was the wobbliest foundation i'd ever seen and everything sufferered for it.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

1. Uatu doesn't die in Original Sin. He violates his oath of noninterference, takes his lovely wife on that second honeymoon that he's been promising her on the other side of the multiverse, and saves Marvel readers from having to slog through an absolutely wretched event.

2. The real Victor Von Doom dies in the first Secret Wars. He was replaced by the Beyonder, who assumed Doom's likeness and his very humanity, completely wiping away his own memory of the transaction. The truth is discovered in next year's big event when Doom's tortured ghost finally manages to escape imprisonment in Mephisto's black, hellish heart and seeks the aid of Ororo Munroe of all people.

3. For mucking around with Thor's godly DNA, Odin storms down from Asgard and destroys everyone that had anything to do with creating the obscenity that was Ragnarok ... bringing an abrupt end to Civil War I.

4. Civil War II ends before it ever really starts when Thanos kills Carol, instead of War Machine. Everyone on this forum loses their damn minds when the MCU announces that Jessica Drew, aka, Spider-Woman will be Marvel's First Fabulous Female with Carol's death. Casting for the role is narrowed to a three way tie between Jessica Biel, Sofia Boutella and Alexandra Daddario.

Realizing he was interesting for the first time in 40 years, I would keep Skrull Hank Pym and kill off the original.

Incredible Member

AvX
    - With everything the Phoenix has done over the years I honestly cannot see anyone who's encountered it before realistically siding with Cyclops, especially for something considered to be an off chance to speed up something that was already happening (whole point of Generation Hope is that new mutants were already starting to emerge). That being said the vast majority of the X-Men would have actively been working against Scott and the event would have dealt more with him and the few supporters he would have had facing off against the core team of Avengers rather than the entirety of both teams from across the years going full on civil war.
    - retcon all the retcons to the history of the Phoenix Force that took place over the course of the event, particularly the connections to Iron Fist/K'un L'un

Civil War II
    - Guardians of the Galaxy would again deign to get involved in the events taking place on the grounds of their history with the leaders of both factions and the conflict itself being both an internal affair and utterly beneath them like the last Civil War
    - Ulysses potentially serve as the true antagonist, with him using his premonitions to orchestrate the events of the second Civil War and manipulate the superhero community into conflict behind the scenes for some unspecified purpose
    - conflict would ultimately center around Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel) and Sam Wilson (Captain America), with the prophecy of Miles Morales (Spider-Man) killing Steve Rogers and validity of the vision serving as the catalyst for the war]
    - X-Men once again shown to abstain from participating in the event due to the devastating effects of the Terrigen Mist and the state of the mutant population following the events of Infinity
    - the majority of the Inhuman community, the Royal family among them, would be shown to be in full support of Captain Marvel, with a few outliers questioning the wisdom in blindly following Ulysses’ visions and the resulting conflicts that arise from them

Original Sin
    - the revelation Peter would have learned is that both Ben Reilly and his stillborn daughter survived the conclusion of the Clone Saga and spent the subsequent years imprisoned by the Jackal & the character Silk would be shown to be the adult daughter of Peter Parker and Mary-Jane Watson as raised by Miles Warren

Clone Conspiracy
    - premise: Kaine seeks out Peter’s help to investigate the death of Ben Reilly after evidence turns up implying that he might have survived the events of the Clone Saga
    - potential villain (primary): High Evolutionary, Alistaire Smythe, or Mister Sinister
    - potential villain(s) (secondary): Jackal (Ben Reilly), Spidercide, Liz Allan, Doctor Octopus, Vulture, Morbius

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    AvX
    - With everything the Phoenix has done over the years I honestly cannot see anyone who's encountered it before realistically siding with Cyclops, especially for something considered to be an off chance to speed up something that was already happening (whole point of Generation Hope is that new mutants were already starting to emerge). That being said the vast majority of the X-Men would have actively been working against Scott and the event would have dealt more with him and the few supporters he would have had facing off against the core team of Avengers rather than the entirety of both teams from across the years going full on civil war.
    - retcon all the retcons to the history of the Phoenix Force that took place over the course of the event, particularly the connections to Iron Fist/K'un L'un
    Agree on that. Cyclops has always been my favorite X-man... but that series made him look like a psychopath. Not counting the planets that Phoenix has destroyed BEFORE... They actually planets getting destroyed before being reborn in that event. It's like the whole debate came down to this...

Cyclops: The Phoenix is about Death and Rebirth!!!

Avengers: Soooo Death...

Cyclops: AND REBIRTH!!!

Avengers: But Death first....

Cyclops: And then REBIRTH!!!

Avengers: So yeah... everything gets destroyed??

Cyclops: and starts over!!!

Anyone in their right mind NEEDS to treat the coming of Phoenix pretty much the same as Galactus or the Celestials.

AvX

Civil War II
    - Guardians of the Galaxy would again deign to get involved in the events taking place on the grounds of their history with the leaders of both factions and the conflict itself being both an internal affair and utterly beneath them like the last Civil War
    - Ulysses potentially serve as the true antagonist, with him using his premonitions to orchestrate the events of the second Civil War and manipulate the superhero community into conflict behind the scenes for some unspecified purpose
    - conflict would ultimately center around Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel) and Sam Wilson (Captain America), with the prophecy of Miles Morales (Spider-Man) killing Steve Rogers and validity of the vision serving as the catalyst for the war]
    - X-Men once again shown to abstain from participating in the event due to the devastating effects of the Terrigen Mist and the state of the mutant population following the events of Infinity
    - the majority of the Inhuman community, the Royal family among them, would be shown to be in full support of Captain Marvel, with a few outliers questioning the wisdom in blindly following Ulysses’ visions and the resulting conflicts that arise from them

Original Sin
    - the revelation Peter would have learned is that both Ben Reilly and his stillborn daughter survived the conclusion of the Clone Saga and spent the subsequent years imprisoned by the Jackal & the character Silk would be shown to be the adult daughter of Peter Parker and Mary-Jane Watson as raised by Miles Warren

Clone Conspiracy
    - premise: Kaine seeks out Peter’s help to investigate the death of Ben Reilly after evidence turns up implying that he might have survived the events of the Clone Saga
    - potential villain (primary): High Evolutionary, Alistaire Smythe, or Mister Sinister
    - potential villain(s) (secondary): Jackal (Ben Reilly), Spidercide, Liz Allan, Doctor Octopus, Vulture, Morbius
    I like your ideas for Original Sin and Clone Conspiracy, especially having Liz Allan as a secondary villain, since we never did get to have Peter really confront her about her and Alchemax's ties to Norman Osborn. As for the primary villain of your take on Clone Conspiracy, I'd go with Mister Sinister, since he was already shown in Wolverines to have procured Ben Reilly's DNA and made a small cluster of Scarlet Spider clones.

On the subject of Civil War II, though, one of Nick Spencer's tie-in issues for Captain America did show that HYDRA-Cap had figured out how to manipulate the cosmic algorithm behind Ulysses' predictions, ensuring that said predictions would cause or amplify tensions and discord amongst the superhero community, which would keep them distracted from his own (largely successful) maneuvers to undermine and weaken them so they couldn't present a united front when HYDRA finally made its move. That could have played more of a role in the main story itself rather than being relegated to a tie-in.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    3. For mucking around with Thor's godly DNA, Odin storms down from Asgard and destroys everyone that had anything to do with creating the obscenity that was Ragnarok ... bringing an abrupt end to Civil War I.
    All the Asgardians were dead (or something like that) at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    All the Asgardians were dead (or something like that) at that point.
    Yep! The whole Ragnarok storyline. If Thor and the others hadn't been 'dead', they wouldn't have needed to try and replace him :P

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    Realizing he was interesting for the first time in 40 years, I would keep Skrull Hank Pym and kill off the original.
    I feel the same about the Skrull Jessica Drew.

I would like to see what Ulysses became after CWII. Marvel invent this guy, and what do they do? They hide him in a corner never to be seen again. The guy can read the future! (Among other things, apparently). So to me, the whole point is, what is this new character, and how does he get used in the future, not, why did Carol kill Tony Stark? Show me what Ulysses is doing now.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Agree on that. Cyclops has always been my favorite X-man... but that series made him look like a psychopath. Not counting the planets that Phoenix has destroyed BEFORE... They actually planets getting destroyed before being reborn in that event.

Anyone in their right mind NEEDS to treat the coming of Phoenix pretty much the same as Galactus or the Celestials.
    It always bothers me that no one ever acknowledges how much of a stupid decision it was and just how long it took the X-Men to finally realize how crazy Scott and the rest of the Five were being.

I like your ideas for Original Sin and Clone Conspiracy, especially having Liz Allan as a secondary villain, since we never did get to have Peter really confront her about her and Alchemax's ties to Norman Osborn. As for the primary villain of your take on Clone Conspiracy, I'd go with Mister Sinister, since he was already shown in Wolverines to have procured Ben Reilly's DNA and made a small cluster of Scarlet Spider clones.
    Honestly I think I would veer more towards Smythe if only for his desire to clone his dad to be a driving force to the overall plot, leading to him either hiring out or abducting Liz for her resources at Alchemax and Jackal, Morbius, Vulture, Doc Ock, and Spidercide all working with him for their own reasons. The arc's big reveal would still be Ben Reilly as the identity of the Jackal though for different reasons and likely significantly less drama, likewise Morbius, Ock, and Vulture taking on subservient roles would be in exchange for Smythe having Jackal clone new bodies for them to deal with their respective problems (vampirism, death, age). Spidercide would be the wildcard serving as a means to keep Kaine & Peter busy by framing them for his actions, ultimately ending the event significantly depowered or at the very least mutated into something of a pseudo-symbiote as a result of genetic tampering by Jackal-Ben.

On the subject of Civil War II, though, one of Nick Spencer's tie-in issues for Captain America did show that HYDRA-Cap had figured out how to manipulate the cosmic algorithm behind Ulysses' predictions, ensuring that said predictions would cause or amplify tensions and discord amongst the superhero community, which would keep them distracted from his own (largely successful) maneuvers to undermine and weaken them so they couldn't present a united front when HYDRA finally made its move. That could have played more of a role in the main story itself rather than being relegated to a tie-in.
    I know and honestly I don't know why that was a tie-in instead of part of the main event. That being said Cap has NEVER shown that level of intelligence before so I don't know why Marvel felt the sudden need for him to develop that level of cognitive awareness to enable him to do something that smarter characters would have struggled to do in order to stir a conflict that was already occurring naturally. Would have made much more sense for Ulysses to be manipulating the visions or at least show everyone a possible future to get them to fight.

On that note.

AvX
    - end with the erosion of influence of both the Royal Family and X-Men over Nuhumans and Mutants respectively as the actions of Blackbolt releasing the Terrigen Cloud during the events of Inhumanity and X-Men jeopardizing the planet during AvX for the sake of creating more mutants, in effect causing the countless deaths and unwanted mutations of countless individuals on both sides and immediately thrusting them into a war for the sake of someone else's ideals.
    - have Emma return to being a full on villain following her escape from both the X-Men and Royal Family after having her actions outed and it being revealed she'd been telepathically manipulating mutants to engineer the war with the Inhumans.

It always bothers me that no one ever acknowledges how much of a stupid decision it was and just how long it took the X-Men to finally realize how crazy Scott and the rest of the Five were being.

Honestly I think I would veer more towards Smythe if only for his desire to clone his dad to be a driving force to the overall plot, leading to him either hiring out or abducting Liz for her resources at Alchemax and Jackal, Morbius, Vulture, Doc Ock, and Spidercide all working with him for their own reasons. The arc's big reveal would still be Ben Reilly as the identity of the Jackal though for different reasons and likely significantly less drama, likewise Morbius, Ock, and Vulture taking on subservient roles would be in exchange for Smythe having Jackal clone new bodies for them to deal with their respective problems (vampirism, death, age). Spidercide would be the wildcard serving as a means to keep Kaine & Peter busy by framing them for his actions, ultimately ending the event significantly depowered or at the very least mutated into something of a pseudo-symbiote as a result of genetic tampering by Jackal-Ben.

I know and honestly I don't know why that was a tie-in instead of part of the main event. That being said Cap has NEVER shown that level of intelligence before so I don't know why Marvel felt the sudden need for him to develop that level of cognitive awareness to enable him to do something that smarter characters would have struggled to do in order to stir a conflict that was already occurring naturally. Would have made much more sense for Ulysses to be manipulating the visions or at least show everyone a possible future to get them to fight.

On that note.

AvX
    - end with the erosion of influence of both the Royal Family and X-Men over Nuhumans and Mutants respectively as the actions of Blackbolt releasing the Terrigen Cloud during the events of Inhumanity and X-Men jeopardizing the planet during AvX for the sake of creating more mutants, in effect causing the countless deaths and unwanted mutations of countless individuals on both sides and immediately thrusting them into a war for the sake of someone else's ideals.
    - have Emma return to being a full on villain following her escape from both the X-Men and Royal Family after having her actions outed and it being revealed she'd been telepathically manipulating mutants to engineer the war with the Inhumans.
    I believe the explanation for HYDRA-Cap was that the real Steve Rogers had that kind of brainpower all along, he simply wasn't as ruthless about applying it as HYDRA-Cap was. That said, I do like your idea of the Vs. X-Men events ending with the major organizations or institutions seeking to lead the Inhuman and mutant communities being discredited for treating those under their leadership like pawns and tools for their own agendas. In that same vein, I'd especially love to see the New X-Men from the 2000s, who've arguably suffered the worst in the shortest relative period of time of any X-Recruits, declare "a plague on both [or all] your houses" to Cyclops and Wolverine and try to make their own way in the world. However, I'd add that after something like the original Civil War and the fallout from that, the Avengers ought to be somewhat discredited as well, insofar as being seen by the superhero community as a whole as (yet) another centralized authority getting too big for its proverbial britches and increasingly losing touch with the world around it.

Going to your take on The Clone Conspiracy, I could definitely see the logic there. Smythe wanting to bring back his father could easily hearken back to the 90s animated series where his sole objective was to avenge, then save, his father. I am curious about how you'd handle Jackal-Ben, and if he might use Spidercide as a scapegoat to deflect Peter's and Kaine's attention from him should he need a dupe to take the fall for his actions as the Jackal.

Incredible Member

I believe the explanation for HYDRA-Cap was that the real Steve Rogers had that kind of brainpower all along, he simply wasn't as ruthless about applying it as HYDRA-Cap was. That said, I do like your idea of the Vs. X-Men events ending with the major organizations or institutions seeking to lead the Inhuman and mutant communities being discredited for treating those under their leadership like pawns and tools for their own agendas. In that same vein, I'd especially love to see the New X-Men from the 2000s, who've arguably suffered the worst in the shortest relative period of time of any X-Recruits, declare "a plague on both [or all] your houses" to Cyclops and Wolverine and try to make their own way in the world. However, I'd add that after something like the original Civil War and the fallout from that, the Avengers ought to be somewhat discredited as well, insofar as being seen by the superhero community as a whole as (yet) another centralized authority getting too big for its proverbial britches and increasingly losing touch with the world around it.

Going to your take on The Clone Conspiracy, I could definitely see the logic there. Smythe wanting to bring back his father could easily hearken back to the 90s animated series where his sole objective was to avenge, then save, his father. I am curious about how you'd handle Jackal-Ben, and if he might use Spidercide as a scapegoat to deflect Peter's and Kaine's attention from him should he need a dupe to take the fall for his actions as the Jackal.
    I honestly still think that was too much of a stretch, part of Steve's appeal was that mentally he was still the same guy he was before receiving the serum. It used to be that the Super Soldier Serum could only enhance someone physically to the peak potential of the human condition, but over the years writers tweaking things and adding stuff so that it could do more. Saying that Steve's always had some level of hyper intelligence but never applied it before Captain Hydra honestly feels more like a cop out than clever.

Pretty sure Logan was dead at the time of IvX, not counting Old Man Logan (who I also wouldn't have bothered rolling over into 616 while Logan was dead). But yeah, honestly the X-Men should have been having problems with leadership after Scott kicked out Xavier. The fact of the matter is that Xavier helped a lot of mutants both in and outside of the X-Men, even after he left people would have followed him out the door and either stuck with him or branched out to form their own thing long before Schism happened. Factor in the fact that Scott both isn't really a likable person and really doesn't play well with others and Schism should have only been the latest in a long line of infighting between the X-Men over conflicting ideologies.
    One of the changes I would have made to AvX is that Storm and T'challa would have never annulled their marriage and Ororo would still be queen of Wakanda. Just think of how much she could have done for mutants if she had stayed with T'Challa instead of siding with Cyclops who she only did so grudgingly, she could have started something comparable to New Tian or Krakoa within/close to Wakanda years ago. Not to mention we could have had Wakandan X-Men.

Oh I could very much see both the X-Men and Inhumans having something of a civil war amongst themselves, particularly after IvX. Hell Death of Inhumans could have just as easily dealt with the Royal Family struggling to maintain power within New Attilian against the Nuhumans refusing to acknowledge their sovereignty following terrigenesis.

Initially Jackal-Ben would just kinda be there as not to take too much focus away from Smythe, think somewhere between an assistant and foreboding presence. Probably have him regulated to the background until things kick off, with Spidercide acting as his proxy to avoid Ben having to go out into the field. With Peter & Kaine involved and Ben being one of the (decreasingly) few people to actually know who they are it seems natural he'd want to distract them without having to face them outright or do anything to significantly endanger them which is where Spidercide would come in.
    At this stage in the game Ben would probably have some fail-safe's in place to keep him under control and prevent him from going too wild but naturally things would eventually take a turn as Spidercide has his own agenda and the same knowledge and level of intelligence as Ben & Peter. Ben tells him not to harm Peter and Kaine and just keep them busy. Fine. Spidercide decides the best way to do that is to kill a bunch of people and make it seem like Kaine & Peter are the ones responsible, after all they can't interfere with Smythe & Jackal-Ben's plans if they're locked up for murder. And if they happen to get killed while resisting arrest, well then that's hardly Spidercide's fault now is it?
    Last edited by Draegwolf; 04-01-2020 at 08:06 PM.

I honestly still think that was too much of a stretch, part of Steve's appeal was that mentally he was still the same guy he was before receiving the serum. It used to be that the Super Soldier Serum could only enhance someone physically to the peak potential of the human condition, but over the years writers tweaking things and adding stuff so that it could do more. Saying that Steve's always had some level of hyper intelligence but never applied it before Captain Hydra honestly feels more like a cop out than clever.

Pretty sure Logan was dead at the time of IvX, not counting Old Man Logan (who I also wouldn't have bothered rolling over into 616 while Logan was dead). But yeah, honestly the X-Men should have been having problems with leadership after Scott kicked out Xavier. The fact of the matter is that Xavier helped a lot of mutants both in and outside of the X-Men, even after he left people would have followed him out the door and either stuck with him or branched out to form their own thing long before Schism happened. Factor in the fact that Scott both isn't really a likable person and really doesn't play well with others and Schism should have only been the latest in a long line of infighting between the X-Men over conflicting ideologies.
    One of the changes I would have made to AvX is that Storm and T'challa would have never annulled their marriage and Ororo would still be queen of Wakanda. Just think of how much she could have done for mutants if she had stayed with T'Challa instead of siding with Cyclops who she only did so grudgingly, she could have started something comparable to New Tian or Krakoa within/close to Wakanda years ago. Not to mention we could have had Wakandan X-Men.

Oh I could very much see both the X-Men and Inhumans having something of a civil war amongst themselves, particularly after IvX. Hell Death of Inhumans could have just as easily dealt with the Royal Family struggling to maintain power within New Attilian against the Nuhumans refusing to acknowledge their sovereignty following terrigenesis.

Initially Jackal-Ben would just kinda be there as not to take too much focus away from Smythe, think somewhere between an assistant and foreboding presence. Probably have him regulated to the background until things kick off, with Spidercide acting as his proxy to avoid Ben having to go out into the field. With Peter & Kaine involved and Ben being one of the (decreasingly) few people to actually know who they are it seems natural he'd want to distract them without having to face them outright or do anything to significantly endanger them which is where Spidercide would come in.
    At this stage in the game Ben would probably have some fail-safe's in place to keep him under control and prevent him from going too wild but naturally things would eventually take a turn as Spidercide has his own agenda and the same knowledge and level of intelligence as Ben & Peter. Ben tells him not to harm Peter and Kaine and just keep them busy. Fine. Spidercide decides the best way to do that is to kill a bunch of people and make it seem like Kaine & Peter are the ones responsible, after all they can't interfere with Smythe & Jackal-Ben's plans if they're locked up for murder. And if they happen to get killed while resisting arrest, well then that's hardly Spidercide's fault now is it?
    I can respect your point on Steve and HYDRA-Cap. I also see your points about the X-Men and the Inhumans succumbing to internal strife and tension after the boneheaded decisions of their respective leadership. As for your take on Jackal-Ben and Spidercide, that would definitely make sense, though what would Spidercide's agenda be, if I may ask?