Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    This'll kill most shops. Mine was at least shipping books to customers and doing curb side pickup.
    This will actually help a lot of shops too. If Diamond isn't sending stuff out, shops won't have to pay for it. That's going to save shops in states that where all non-essential businesses have been closed like New York, California, Ohio and a couple others. My owner in New York was very concerned about Diamond shipping out books and him having to pay for them and no immediate way to sell them.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I have a feeling in the next week or so the entire country will be on lockdown and people won't be able to get comics from shops anyway.
    Assassinate Putin!

Does this affect direct distributons to individual homes? I haven't been inside of a comic book store since 1991 when they turned Hank Hall evil and I've been getting comics delivered directly to my house since 2003 when they made John Stewart a GL again.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if DC/Marvel don't put out new issues digitally either and just delay those as well. It would kill the sales of the paper ones when they eventually come out again as well as drill a couple more nails into comic stores.

I can see them making a few "digital first" series like they do now already but I wouldn't expect, say, Action Comics to be digital-exclusive for the next few months.
    Yeah, no, that's asinine. They're both major corporations who still have people working under them on the daily and new scripts continuing to be written, and it's not like there isn't a market or platform to continue selling comics on. And they've been informed early enough to know to stop even printing out physical copies, so it isn't like they'll really be taking a loss once this goes into effect because they aren't spending the fees for the print market.

I'm not saying print comics are about to die, or anything, just that it doesn't make sense for Marvel and DC to stop releasing comics altogether when they can make these comics for less than before and still likely turn profit.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Yeah, no, that's asinine. They're both major corporations who still have people working under them on the daily and new scripts continuing to be written, and it's not like there isn't a market or platform to continue selling comics on. And they've been informed early enough to know to stop even printing out physical copies, so it isn't like they'll really be taking a loss once this goes into effect because they aren't spending the fees for the print market.

I'm not saying print comics are about to die, or anything, just that it doesn't make sense for Marvel and DC to stop releasing comics altogether when they can make these comics for less than before and still likely turn profit.
    All depends. More often than not we have heard that digital sells 10% of what print does. The question will be does that increase and does it increase enough to fully cover the production cost of creators and editorial? If there are not enough sales to cover the cost of creating (not producing a print product) then it is not a profitable endeavor. Production costs will be less, but so will revenue. Not everyone who buys print will switch to digital. And some who do switch may switch to a subscription service like Marvel Unlimited rather than buy individual single issues digitally. Sure they can still release the books, the question is will that be profitable. By most accounts it is the sales of print copies that cover creative and production costs and digital and trade sales are what create healthy enough margins to keep the whole thing profitable, as paying creator costs (i.e. page rates for writer, artist, inker, colorist, letterer, editorial etc.). Loss of print copies also means zero ad revenue. Advertisers pay ad rates based on physical circulation, so that is another revenue stream lost form physical copy sales. So the question is, will digital only sales be enough to cover all the remaining costs? It's not necessarily a no-brainer as some seem to think it is.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I generally read comics before I go to sleep. Print is more relaxing to read than pixels. I hope print comics continue after this week, but if not, I'll simply re-read the comics I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if DC/Marvel don't put out new issues digitally either and just delay those as well. It would kill the sales of the paper ones when they eventually come out again as well as drill a couple more nails into comic stores.

I can see them making a few "digital first" series like they do now already but I wouldn't expect, say, Action Comics to be digital-exclusive for the next few months.
    I would because that would ******* kill them. The creatives get paid based off of sales, if nothing is selling no one is getting paid. They will not stop putting out product, they simply can’t. What they should be doing is promoting Unlimited and Universe. DC’s dumbass decision to limit Universe to the USA is going to bite them in the ass now.

To be honest, I prefer digital. Everything is at my fingertips and easily accessible. Don't care about collecting (do care about kinda losing original artwork when things are put in digital later). And I'm at my PC all day, anyway. But also haven't been reading much lately, anyway, so it's not going to change my buying habits, since I wasn't buying anyway. Honestly, even back when I did monthly subscriptions, I'd wait for several to pile up before reading. I just can't keep an interest in a storyline playing out so slowly for more than three months or so. Makes me a poor comic fan, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    All depends. More often than not we have heard that digital sells 10% of what print does. The question will be does that increase and does it increase enough to fully cover the production cost of creators and editorial? If there are not enough sales to cover the cost of creating (not producing a print product) then it is not a profitable endeavor. Production costs will be less, but so will revenue. Not everyone who buys print will switch to digital. And some who do switch may switch to a subscription service like Marvel Unlimited rather than buy individual single issues digitally. Sure they can still release the books, the question is will that be profitable. By most accounts it is the sales of print copies that cover creative and production costs and digital and trade sales are what create healthy enough margins to keep the whole thing profitable, as paying creator costs (i.e. page rates for writer, artist, inker, colorist, letterer, editorial etc.). Loss of print copies also means zero ad revenue. Advertisers pay ad rates based on physical circulation, so that is another revenue stream lost form physical copy sales. So the question is, will digital only sales be enough to cover all the remaining costs? It's not necessarily a no-brainer as some seem to think it is.

-M
    I mean part of the reason digital sales have flatlined is because Marvel and DC have kept the prices equal with print copies. If they were to cut the digital prices that would start causing sales to rise.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I mean part of the reason digital sales have flatlined is because Marvel and DC have kept the prices equal with print copies. If they were to cut the digital prices that would start causing sales to rise.
    I always thought it was a terrible idea.
    There is no real reason digital should be the same cost as print. Fair enough if there is NO print copy and it's solely digital, but the current system just struck me a blatant cash grab.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I always thought it was a terrible idea.
    There is no real reason digital should be the same cost as print. Fair enough if there is NO print copy and it's solely digital, but the current system just struck me a blatant cash grab.
    Well the Marvel book gave you a physical copy and a code.

If a person was smart-get a friend who wanted the physical copy to buy it and give you the code. In return you buy a book and do the same.

Funny Marvel never thought about someone doing that.

Now it is odd both versions are the same price. Online copy should be cheaper.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

This is sad, terrible news. I am relatively young, but hate, loathe digital comics.

I shall await for comics to return.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

If DC and Marvel at least offered pdf or cbr files for the books, like Image does, then I could see a justification for the price.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl_70 View Post
    Because a lot of people like myself like holding, collecting, and reading physical copies.

I WILL NEVER EVER read a comics on a tablet.
    So when that ends, I end with anything new released.
    This is, of course, your prerogative, I'm sure you have reasons for feeling that way, and I'm not attempting to change your mind (not that I think I could), but I admit that I find such a staunch stance to be unreasonable...and somewhat backwards. I'm considering the reverse. If someone told me they will NEVER EVER read a physical printed book...I would leave them to it, but I would probably look at them sideways for a second or two if they said that, because it's a weird stance to take to me.

The main concerns for comics to me are...is the story good? Is the art good? Having a yes to both of those questions is what it will take for me to read a comic (and enjoy it). Whether it's on a digital device or not is mostly neither here nor there. I understand the hobby of collecting things, and wanting to physically own what you pay for, but to say you will NEVER EVER read a comic on a tablet is...eccentric to me.

-----------

Regarding this crisis, I try to see things on the bright side. I'm hoping it expedites a direction more towards going digital for monthly installments so that the price of comics can hopefully come down so that they're more accessible to people. I'm also hoping it causes people to be more innovative toward getting these products successful outside of the direct market. Granted, this is all coming from someone who is not a comic shop person and doesn't have any sentimental ties to that whole thing. For the people who are involved with all that, I'm sure all of this is a serious bummer, and I understand that.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 03-23-2020 at 05:13 PM.

What they should be doing is promoting Unlimited and Universe. DC’s dumbass decision to limit Universe to the USA is going to bite them in the ass now.
    Definitely. Especially as the UK just went on lockdown, so all non-essential shops - which of course includes comic book stores - have to close immediately. They won't be getting any sales from us for a few weeks.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman