Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They might, but Marvel has Marvel Unlimited up and running for years before DC even started on Universe. Even now DC has made idiotic decisions like limiting Universe to the USA while Unlimited is Global.
    I wonder how much of that is on Warner Bros.

They might, but Marvel has Marvel Unlimited up and running for years before DC even started on Universe. Even now DC has made idiotic decisions like limiting Universe to the USA while Unlimited is Global.
    I think that has more to do with Universe having shows on it, which Unlimited does not. There are contracts with things like Netflix to air their stuff outside of the US, so they can't just release the service as-is without breaking those contracts. They'd have to figure out how to separate the comics from the streaming before releasing it.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought DC had a stronger relationship with Comixology, to be honest.
    Comixology is owned by Amazon. Having a relationship with Amazon as a publisher is like being a tuna beside a Great White Shark.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I think that has more to do with Universe having shows on it, which Unlimited does not. There are contracts with things like Netflix to air their stuff outside of the US, so they can't just release the service as-is without breaking those contracts. They'd have to figure out how to separate the comics from the streaming before releasing it.
    Yeah thats most likely it, there's a whole bunch of licensing issues when you try to distribute worldwide.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Simple. Move all shows and movies to HBO Max and make DC Universe comics only like Marvel Unlimited.

Do not be surprised if all of May follows April with a lockdown. That’s what I’m betting on and why I was baffled by all the people acting like the industry can just go back to normal after this. Shops are going to close, it’s inevitable at this point. DC and Marvel are either going to have to bypass Diamond and get the distribution up and running themselves or tell the retailers to eat it and start releasing digitally. Else they’ll have to put their entire workforces on “pencils down”.
    Marvel have already told some folks to stop work.

https://www.newsarama.com/49708-marv...hing-line.html
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

DC had already talked about scaling their books back so I wouldn't be surprised if that happens again.

Of course, there is something Marvel and DC could do to solve the distribution problem after this is all over. Start their own distribution to their own stores. If a store goes under, one of the two could take it over and have the printer send their comics there. They might not need Diamond to be the middle man. They could hire their own managers just like McDonald's does.

All-New Member

I've been reading comics for almost 40 years. I moved to digital for most of my comics several years ago, and have generally loved it. Most books I only read once or twice anyway, and now I'm not adding to the boxes of tens of thousands of mostly worthless comics in my basement. I still buy a few things in print via mail order - I keep up a physical collection of my favorites (primarily Batman and Legion books).

I'm disappointed DC isn't continuing to offer digital comics, but I guess I understand their business decision at the moment. Still, knowing that there's going to be an extended break before I can buy new issues, I've taken the opportunity to drop my subscriptions to books that were on the borderline anyway. I'm sure this break will be a "dropping off point" for many, whether print or digital.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    Of course, there is something Marvel and DC could do to solve the distribution problem after this is all over. Start their own distribution to their own stores. If a store goes under, one of the two could take it over and have the printer send their comics there. They might not need Diamond to be the middle man. They could hire their own managers just like McDonald's does.
    I don't think that plan is feasible for a couple reasons.
    A retail outlet that sells only DC or only Marvel merchandise would likely not last. Meaning that, if it's a DC store, I don't think they would sell Marvel stuff. And I don't believe the two companies would cooperate to open up a chain of stores together.

For what it's worth, though, I think Marvel stores would have better luck than DC ones thanks to the MCU and being connected with Disney. Thus, they could funnel stuff from Star Wars and countless other franchises in there.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 04-04-2020 at 06:56 AM.

Robanker has a thread with a new Didio interview where they talk about the industry, digital, trade, the differences between American audiences and European/Asian markets, and where everything goes from here.

Some interesting stuff, some fun stories (y'all remember how much Didio loves to tell stories) and some cool insights. Might be worth a view, especially for people who are really curious about the business end of things.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    A retail outlet that sells only DC or only Marvel merchandise would likely not last. Meaning that, if it's a DC store, I don't think they would sell Marvel stuff. And I don't believe the two companies would cooperate to open up a chain of stores together.

For what it's worth, though, I think Marvel stores would have better luck than DC ones thanks to the MCU and being connected with Disney. Thus, they could funnel stuff from Star Wars and countless other franchises in there.
    I agree with you on this. I'm saying it could be done if they really wanted to strengthen the comic book market but I doubt that they do. Back in the early 90's when Disney Stores were a big thing, and Disney had their own comic book line, they didn't stock the Disney Comics because the price point (under $2) was too low. They only sold a collector's box with multiple #1's for collector's in the $10 - $15 range, but no current issues in the store!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post

The issue with the Disney store is FINDING a Disney Store.
    We (Dallas) have only one in one of the WORST locations-Northpark Mall on Highway 75.
    Getting there at certain times of the day (EVEN weekends) is a hassle. Traffic is an issue. Don't let SMU have a football or basketball game going on.
    Don't let there be a wreck-you might not get home for 2-4 hours.
    The store itself-I could not tell you where you could put ANY books because of space issues.

If you HAD to place your books in a store-it has to be one where EVERYBODY has access to. Not just white kids in rich-middle class areas but everybody. Part of the reason some of this stuff does not sell is because not everyone can access it offline.

So you would be looking at Target or Wal-Mart or WORST CVS & Walgreens.

Target would get you section faster than Wal-Mart. They have a section for comic related stuff in electronics with the Funko Pop stuff.

Licensing world wide will EAT you alive. Not to mention what you might have to censor in the books.

Take Midnighter-can you sell that book in a country that has issues with LGBTQ?
    Or Cyborg-you can forget selling his book in Ireland-a store owner there already says no one buys black lead books there.

DC donating money for comic shops.

https://www.newsarama.com/49711-dc-d...ok-stores.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Now that is interesting. I'm sure I seem very cynical, but it seems like an act of desperation to me (I guess desperate times call for desperate measures). DC knows that if these shops go under, it will have nearly no venues to sell at.

My thoughts...
    They're trying to hold onto an old way of doing things that doesn't really work or make sense to more and more people in 2020. Natural selection is telling you this doesn't work. Retail stores are kind of old hat when you can order whatever you need from the internet. The shipping cost is offset by the cost of gas (or public transportation fare or whatever) if you were to do the alternative. I guess I can understand them trying to hold onto it, because it's what they know and likely have no idea how to operate any differently.

In my life, the only thing I regularly go to the store to get is food and other daily life supplies like soap and whatnot, and I always get that when I get food. The comic shop...it just doesn't make enough sense to me. Though, I can understand it for Magic: The Gathering or Warhammer or whatever tournaments, but I'm certain you can do these online in whatever way, and that has the benefit of opening you up to a world wide community.

I suppose people could scrutinize my way of doing things as insular, but it's about efficiency, practicality, and what makes the most sense, and in the end, these things are what will always win. It might be presumptuous of me to think so, but I think you're only going to see more and more of this thought process from people as time goes on. You can already see it. You'll probably find less and less and less people at malls these days. I'm not saying retail is on its way out, only because it's still very convenient for people, but I think for very special interest items like comics...it probably should be.

The takeaway is you need to have your thing set up and running efficiently digitally and on the internet. The comics industry missed the opportunity to do that much, MUCH earlier and has never really done it because they wanted to keep doing things the same old way that they know and are comfortable with, and they're REALLY feeling the effects of it now. This is what has, in humongous part, caused the stagnation of the fanbase. The whole thing is just too old fashioned and only really appeals to people who have been doing it for a long time, and the extremely rare person who wanders into the hobby.

It's understandable the comics industry is trying to save its ass, but what it really needs to do is transition out of the very thing its trying to save.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 04-05-2020 at 04:27 AM.

Other posters in the other forums posted this but i'll repost it here. All credit goes to them for the links.

Dark horse giving away free digital comics and letting kids read many of their Disney. popeye and scary godmother comics for free.

https://digital.darkhorse.com/pages/...k-horse-comics

Devils due is also giving away free digital comics.

https://devils-due-1first-comics.mys...-comics?page=1