Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The market dictates what the future is and when. Physical movies were a thing until Netflix popularized streaming and more people subscribed to that than buying physical. Music was the same until iTunes. Gaming is currently in their transition with things like Game Pass.

The market is still heavily favoring physical comics right now. Forcing the change won't make people switch to digital. They'll just stop reading them. There needs to be the incentive and infrastructure set up to make the transition easy for those that haven't adopted digital yet. The closest thing the industry has is Marvel Unlimited or Comixology, and neither of those have made that impact yet.
    Gaming isn't transitioning, it's already there. The PC market is almost entirely digital at this point. Last year it was reported that 83% of all game sales in the UK were digital. Game pass is just gaming outing on a subscription model. Before that Xbox marketplace, PSN and Nintendo's eshop has been eating away at physical for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Gaming isn't transitioning, it's already there. The PC market is almost entirely digital at this point. Last year it was reported that 83% of all game sales in the UK were digital. Game pass is just gaming outing on a subscription model. Before that Xbox marketplace, PSN and Nintendo's eshop has been eating away at physical for years.
    I seem to recall that number including phone games and in game purchases and not necessarily things we would consider 'real' games (If you play phone games, sorry, but you aren't a real gamer). We don't really know how many full price games are released are sold digitally.

Also, even if those numbers are accurate, if video game companies decide to stop making physical copies of the game because that isn't where 'the future' is then they would be losing out on 17% of their sales, which, considering the video game market is now the biggest form of entertainment in the world, is literally billions. Except for comics its the opposite, the 17% is the share digital comics have right now and people are demanding that the physical side must die immediately because we need to be in the future right NOW!
    Last edited by Pinsir; 03-28-2020 at 07:47 AM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    There isn't any reason to assume the industry is leaving money off the table though, in fact, they would be likely to loose money. Digital comics have failed, whenever I see statistics on this matter, floppies and tpbs dwarf digital sales. If you aren't already inclined to buy comics digitally, you probably still aren't going too and since products only have one release date, a month from now, when these physical comics are available, they're going to be old news and not sell.

I think a lot of people understand that there is going to be delays because of the virus, why doesn't DC just use this opportunity to plan ahead and produce comics months in advance? Considering the shake ups DC has undergone recently I think this break should be looked upon as a boon to organize their publishing house.
    The digital market hasn't become as big as its advocates hoped it would, but looking at how publishers have handled the format that's not a surprise. All the advantages of a digital distribution have been ignored.

We don't have digital comics right now. What we have are print comics produced and released and priced along direct market norms, but some intern had to scan the pages too. Digital has failed to grow substantially not because the model isn't viable, but because publishers haven't actually adapted to it. There's been no adjustment to make the product fit or appeal to a digital audience, no real effort at advertising or marketing; same-day digital is nothing more than a supplement to the direct market, it's not treated as its own product line and publishers downplay it at every turn so it doesn't piss off retailers.

The closest we got were the digital first series like Batman 66. Those were sort of built around the digital distribution, but there was no advertising in places where there should have been, the books weren't built to appeal to new audiences, and they were largely treated as secondary also-ran options that "didn't matter." As I understand it, despite all that, some of those digital books (like Injustice) still sold decently.

In short, publishers halfassed their digital efforts and didn't do what needed to be done to make digital comics as successful as they could be. An honest attempt, changing the product itself as well as how it's priced and produced and released and marketed, would almost certainly see much greater success.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Is diamond the main manga distributor as well? Anybody know off hand?
    I'm starting to think If they dont get a handle on this soon comics could end up being the least of our worries but looking back to the depression comics being made on pulp as an extension of the old pulp fiction could be viable again in stores
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    I'm starting to think If they dont get a handle on this soon comics could end up being the least of our worries but looking back to the depression comics being made on pulp as an extension of the old pulp fiction could be viable again in stores
    Manga has already went digital. Most manga people I know either have a manga app or read trades.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Viz media is a major distributor of manga here.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Viz media is a major distributor of manga here.
    Thanks. Exactly what I was wondering.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

For those arguing against continuing digitally (and anyone else who wants to answer): How long do you think print comics can be paused before the direct market collapses?

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Then you have not bothered to read any of the many posts here with explanations from people about why they will not read digital. Or you have and decided they are lying.
    I've read everyone's posts in response to mine, and I simply don't find their opinion viable. Again, if there are fans who will leave the industry completely if and when they go all digital, then adios, as far as I'm concerned. I feel if you love stories and characters, how you read them should be mostly irrelevant to you as long as they survive. If you're willing to walk away because of a necessary change in format, well I feel sorry for you but can't say I'll miss you.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

DC just sent out a announcement to comic shops that they will continue to publish comics with their own printer, all comics will be fully returnable: https://bleedingcool.com/2020/03/28/...ethods-comics/

Wonder if Marvel will be doing the smae plan...
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 03-28-2020 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Seems like that won't even be a issue to wonder on DC's side of things as they just sent out a announcement to shops that they will continue to publish comics with their own printer: https://bleedingcool.com/2020/03/28/...ethods-comics/
    There's still the issue of the stores being shut down due to their non-essential status. This works fine for me because outside of digital I get my floppies online, but this still won't help the stores.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    There's still the issue of the stores being shut down due to their non-essential status. This works fine for me because outside of digital I get my floppies online, but this still won't help the stores.
    There are a few shops still doing curbside/online orders. Obviously, the pandemic is still going on but at least shops are able to return comics they aren't able to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    There are a few shops still doing curbside/online orders. Obviously, the pandemic is still going on but at least shops are able to return comics they aren't able to sell.
    A lot of local authorities are shutting those down especially the ones with state stay at home orders.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    A lot of local authorities are shutting those down especially the ones with state stay at home orders.
    That may be, but the reaction I see from comic shops on twitter to this news is all positive..

https://twitter.com/dmcomics/status/1244018496314454016
    https://twitter.com/mainstreetcomic/...26759311495168

If the comic shops make it through this, I hope enough of us survive to actually still read comics.
    Due to people ignoring orders for social distancing and isolation, and generally not taking this seriously, it's just going to keep spreading until everyone gets it.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.