Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Street View Post
    I don't understand just which comics DC is going to publish digitally, but if we're talking about new comics and not just trades or something, then this is wrong. There are two comics scheduled to come out on Wednesday that I want to read. They're regular purchases for me, but I will not be buying them digitally when comic book stores are struggling to survive. When all this is over and the stores can open again, I'll be really, really happy to buy physical copies of Lois Lane #10 and The Dreaming #20, but not until then. We have to work together if we're going to get through this.
    Doing things the way we've always done them just because it's the way we've always done them is what's wrong. It stagnates growth and advancement and blocks things up for others who don't share your sentiments.

But I guess that answers my previous question. Likely many people, for whatever their reasons, are just averse to something new or different.

If you want to wait until you can get to your comic shop, that's fine, but I think it's actually selfish and inconsiderate to think everyone else should have to wait with you when DC has everything it needs to more or less deliver the content now.

This is what happens when you leave distribution to just one company.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Extraordinary Member

It sounds like some people think this is just some spat between parties that is causing comics to get held up. When most of the world, including the U.S. are practically shut down by government order it is a little odd to be calling people who are fine waiting for their funny books but worried about the livelihood of local businesses "selfish and inconsiderate".

I don't understand just which comics DC is going to publish digitally, but if we're talking about new comics and not just trades or something, then this is wrong. There are two comics scheduled to come out on Wednesday that I want to read. They're regular purchases for me, but I will not be buying them digitally when comic book stores are struggling to survive. When all this is over and the stores can open again, I'll be really, really happy to buy physical copies of Lois Lane #10 and The Dreaming #20, but not until then. We have to work together if we're going to get through this.
    I don't think we have to worry about the retailers on this. I mean, I appreciate the call for solidarity, and without doubt we all stand together (six feet apart, but together) in wanting to see everyone supported and taken care of in these difficult times. But I don't think this is going to hurt retailers.

DC is right, their digital audience isn't their direct market one. And I find it damn unlikely that many people will abandon their LCS pull list just so they can read a comic a few weeks early. The vast majority of us reading print will wait for print.

DC has two audiences; one it can serve right now, and one it can't. They're trying to find ways to get their floppies to the shops that are still open, and there's no real reason to make digital readers, who're trapped at home with little to do, suffer as well. Retailers aren't going to be hurt by this and DC can continue serving it's other audience while bringing some money in. I don't think anybody is getting hurt here.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

As someone who lives in the UK, switching to digital would end up costing me more than buying the physical comics due to Comixology's recent price increases in the UK. It now costs more to buy a digital issue on the day of release than it does for a physical issue. So I'll reluctantly wait for the physical issues to be released or trade wait. I understand that DC have mouths to feed as well so they can't just halt production until it's safe for brick and mortar shops to open again but releasing new issues digitally makes them look redundant. The Big Two are stuck in a real Catch 22.

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    ...Retailers aren't going to be hurt by this and DC can continue serving it's other audience while bringing some money in. I don't think anybody is getting hurt here.
    I hope you're right, but just going from some of the comments in this thread I don't think that will be the case. But then again it's just one company and nothing has actually happened yet. It's probably too soon to be gloomy. There's too much of that in the world right now anyway.

I hope you're right, but just going from some of the comments in this thread I don't think that will be the case. But then again it's just one company and nothing has actually happened yet. It's probably too soon to be gloomy. There's too much of that in the world right now anyway.
    We're not a reliable metric for the entire fandom, nor are we prophets. I wouldn't worry about what people here are saying. But even here, we've got people saying they won't go digital and will wait for the floppies.

The direct market *is* dying, and at some point we'll all have to either adapt to a new format of give up the hobby. But that's a long-term problem, not a "right now" one. If things get so bad that this long-term problem becomes an immediate concern, then we'll have far bigger issues to worry about than comics.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    As someone who lives in the UK, switching to digital would end up costing me more than buying the physical comics due to Comixology's recent price increases in the UK. It now costs more to buy a digital issue on the day of release than it does for a physical issue. So I'll reluctantly wait for the physical issues to be released or trade wait. I understand that DC have mouths to feed as well so they can't just halt production until it's safe for brick and mortar shops to open again but releasing new issues digitally makes them look redundant. The Big Two are stuck in a real Catch 22.
    Like I said at the beginning, they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. Can't win.

My local comic shop has always changed $ = £, which is now Comixology's policy. Made me laugh when the local paper said $3.99 titles were £3.20 (the column, called It's All Geek To Me, was networked nationally among many local papers, and thus not referring to that specific shop - they shouldn't mention the price at all if there's any variation).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    This is what happens when you leave distribution to just one company.
    Doesn't matter how many distributors there were. This was going to happen regardless due to the pandemic. Comics are not an essential service, all comic stores would have been closed. Where are those other 10 distributors going to deliver comics?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I guess I'm done with buying comics for a bit (if trades keep coming, then I'm getting those and those alone).
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Hitman View Post
    Doesn't matter how many distributors there were. This was going to happen regardless due to the pandemic. Comics are not an essential service, all comic stores would have been closed. Where are those other 10 distributors going to deliver comics?
    If there'd even been two distributors, they'd have had time to plan once the first one closed. But since there was only one, they ended up having to rush out statements and change plans suddenly.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    If there'd even been two distributors, they'd have had time to plan once the first one closed. But since there was only one, they ended up having to rush out statements and change plans suddenly.
    If there were two distributors, half the shops would still be out of comics. The printers would have been closed anyway. And both distributors would just as been likely to have both closed as well. At best you would have gotten even messier as everyone scrambled to see if one of the other distributors could collect the comics from the others warehouse (and the answer is they would not be able to, distribution is not something you double over night).

Extraordinary Member

https://www.comixology.com/release-d...=0&publisher=1

Looks like DC has ceased plans to continue digitally. BC has an article that says things are pushed back 4 weeks right now.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    https://www.comixology.com/release-d...=0&publisher=1

Looks like DC has ceased plans to continue digitally. BC has an article that says things are pushed back 4 weeks right now.
    Hope they figure out a solid plan by the end of the week, because this will last longer than April..

BANNED

I think that's a huge mistake. I also think the lack of basic common sense progression and even road blocking of it is a big reason why some people out there are actually gleeful about the difficulties the industry is facing and wishing for its ultimate demise. This whole thing has really brought to light how backwards the whole thing is to me and how dependent it is in a backwards system of doing things.

Besides, their comics really aren't good most of the time.

Oh well. Not upset but somewhat disappointed to see comics industry just going on being the comics industry.