Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

My personal thought is that DC should release the comics much like comic strips are now on the web: daily, free, in a landscape format (not portrait, so it’s easier to read on computers) with each daily installment being about a page worth of content.

Then after each storyline is completed, they can be collected into trade paperbacks.

I wouldn’t convert all of DC to this all at once.
    Just start with about ten titles.
    One would have to be a Batman title and important.
    And they would have to feature good art.

For the initial run, I’d focus on characters well known to non-comic readers, with a few fringe characters to give some variety.

1. Batman
    2. Superman
    3. Wonder Woman
    4. Green Arrow
    5. Black Lightning
    6. Harley Quinn
    7. Shazam
    8. Constantine
    9. Adam Strange
    10. Warlord
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    My personal thought is that DC should release the comics much like comic strips are now on the web: daily, free, in a landscape format (not portrait, so it’s easier to read on computers) with each daily installment being about a page worth of content.

Then after each storyline is completed, they can be collected into trade paperbacks.

For the initial run, I’d focus on characters well known to non-comic readers, with a few fringe characters to give some variety.

1. Batman
    2. Superman
    3. Wonder Woman
    4. Green Arrow
    5. Black Lightning
    6. Harley Quinn
    7. Shazam
    8. Constantine
    9. Adam Strange
    10. Warlord

If I was going to do free-use this time for new talent to showcase what they can do with the likes of a Cyborg or Hellblazer.

Use this time to sell new talent or let your writers try someone they normally wouldn't do.

Let your talent build up portfolios.

I would exclude Batman and some of his friends. At least not at first.

I’m a digital guy, always have been, so I’m good. Starting to feel bad for not supporting the comic book shop that’s 20 something minutes away from my apartment though. Maybe I’m just too used to instant gratification of just buying something online. Maybe if it’s still around when this blows over I’ll give it a shot.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 03-27-2020 at 02:28 PM.

1. Batman
    2. Superman
    3. Wonder Woman
    4. Green Arrow
    5. Black Lightning
    6. Harley Quinn
    7. Shazam
    8. Constantine
    9. Adam Strange
    10. Warlord
    I don't think fans would be happy with a daily format unless it was structured like the Walmart Giants, and we'd probably at the least get the Big 6 (Trinity + Green Lantern, Aquaman, and Flash) with books.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think fans would be happy with a daily format unless it was structured like the Walmart Giants, and we'd probably at the least get the Big 6 (Trinity + Green Lantern, Aquaman, and Flash) with books.
    It would be set up like Comics Go or Comics Kingdom. Comics are uploaded daily and readers can binge read a whole week or month. Or even year, in the case of Comics Go.
    They wouldn’t be replacing the physical books, just in addition to.
    To target a different audience.

Big name characters and creators are important, too, because it shows DC is dedicated to quality content and it’ll generate buzz.

It would be set up like Comics Go or Comics Kingdom. Comics are uploaded daily and readers can binge read a whole week or month. Or even year, in the case of Comics Go.
    They wouldn’t be replacing the physical books, just in addition to.
    To target a different audience.

Big name characters and creators are important, too, because it shows DC is dedicated to quality content and it’ll generate buzz.
    DC tried Sunday strips out with a-team creators. I'm not sure if it would be more successful digitally.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    DC tried Sunday strips out with a-team creators. I'm not sure if it would be more successful digitally.
    True, but they were a physical product requiring someone to go to the shop every week or pre-order 4 or 5 issues per month.
    Matter of fact, IIRC, it was only 12 issues and all the pre-orders for all 12 issues were in before the first issue dropped.
    Not to mention, readers are resistant to anthologies, thinking they’re too expensive for them to buy for one or two stories.

These would be free, online on a dedicated page, to be read at their leisure.
    And the characters they wouldn’t read normally will be there to entice them to check it out.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

1. Just going digital wont help unless they reboot as well. Being digital is pointless if new fans have to skim through a decade of continuity to make sense of things. And it has to be a hard reboot to, none of this "maybe it happened maybe it didn't" stuff that doomed the new 52.

2. My format would be, take your top six most popular characters, and start from scratch(one book each). Split those titles in half and publish them on alternative weeks. not having to send books to printers should speed up delivery time. Focus on the big things, what makes this character iconic and popular. Have Batman, Flash and Green lantern come out on even weeks and have Superman, JL, Teen Titans come out on odd weeks. If that is successful you can add more titles to this bi weekly schedule.

3. Focus on giving us well written back to basics comics, at least for the first year or so. if you want to give a character a second book it has to be radically different from the first. My biggest complaint with the Batman books is that they are pretty much interchangeable. A Batman story in Detective could have just as easily been in the Batman proper book. Radical departures should be kept to a minimum. Nothing hurts a reboot more then a bunch of unpopular "shock," changes that you have to walk back in order to right the ship.

4. Not all superheroes are "their own series," material. Some work better as part of an group. It might actually be better to group some of your "somewhat popular," but not A tier characters onto a team and see if it sells. You can't tell me that a book starring Zatanna, Powergirl, Nightwing and Booster Gold, wouldn't turn heads or at least get you to sample it on a digital service.

5. Don't be afraid to give a character a one shot or a graphic novel before throwing them out onto a doomed regular series. Try your best to determine if their is an actual audience for this be for you commit to a long running series.

6. But the most important thing about digital comics is that they have to be cheaper then print comics. Their is no excuse to be paying premium prices for comics, or any type of media for that matter these days.

One thing I'd do when it comes to DC's digital offerings:
    Have 3 different services/apps: one for each of their imprints (regular DC, Black Label and the all ages line).
    This way they could design apps better suited for the needs and desires of each demograph AND charge more than they could if there was only one app.
    If these apps are distributing new content through subscription, they need to cost more than DCU's current 8 bucks, but they can't be much more expensive than most streaming services, which would make each subscription $15,00 at most.

DC Universe would be the flagship, the place where all main continuity books would be (plus the back issues of all previous reboots). It would also be the vehicle for the launch of new content set on a hopefully more comprehensive and clearly defined continuity. The app would be very interactive and full of character bios (with a better user experience than the current one) to encourage fans to dive deep into DC's history. It would be the app that all DC readers would want to have. There'd be two subscription types: one for the current price (allowing access to older comics) and one for double the price, which would include the new content. Rated 13+.

DC Zoom would be meant for kids as an introduction to DC's worlds. New content would be created and launched daily in smaller bites featuring all-ages takes on DC's most iconic and diverse heroes, plus content inspired by cartoons and other media. The app would also have all the recent OGNs and interactive content for a slightly bigger price. This would be the app older fans would want to get their kids to introduce them to their hobby.

DC Black Label would be the HBO of DC's apps. Mature and curated new content by some of the industry's best creators, plus a library of DC's mature comics and most famous OGNs AND access to Vertigo and Wildstorm's entire back catalogue and new revivals. Watchmen, Sandman, Killing Joke, Planetary, Authority, Batman: White Knight, Transmetropolitan, Astro City and so on. Basically everything too premium to have on the regular app, for a bigger price to justify the possible loss of TPB sales.

This is all kind of what I'd want to see from DC's digital presence (apart from the prices, but they'd need to be financially sustainable).
    New content available for subscription and created to be as appealing as possible to their target demographs. I don't see any comic company actually attempting anything like that, but it could be fun to see if done right.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    1. Just going digital wont help unless they reboot as well. Being digital is pointless if new fans have to skim through a decade of continuity to make sense of things.
    Something they could easily do (and something they should already do, frankly) is give you perks for going digital, like:

1. Tapping on a character the first time they appear in each issue could take you to a wiki page, where you'd get some background info. Silver Banshee pops up, you tap on her and get the option, kind of thing.

2. When something is referenced, instead of an "editors note" box let's see a box you tap on which, again, gives you options. One option takes you to a wiki page, one option takes you somewhere to buy the referenced story, etc.

There's lots of things they could do with it, but options like these would help to avoid any rebooting...first time readers would have everything they need handed right to them with zero searching themselves. Much easier than most of us older readers had it back in the pre-internet days lol
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

I don't buy floppies anymore, but they shouldn't release anymore digital comics until physical copies resume being sold. These closures really aren't fair to a number of industries. Clothing and electronic stores are shut down, but because Walmart sells food they get to keep their store open.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I don't buy floppies anymore, but they shouldn't release anymore digital comics until physical copies resume being sold. These closures really aren't fair to a number of industries. Clothing and electronic stores are shut down, but because Walmart sells food they get to keep their store open.
    So, you're saying that when comics companies have an opportunity to safely keep selling products to their fans, keep making money, and keep people working for them...they should just...stop?

If you have some advantage, lean into it, I say. If you have a method to keep getting people the comic books they're looking for...do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    So, you're saying that when comics companies have an opportunity to safely keep selling products to their fans, keep making money, and keep people working for them...they should just...stop?

If you have some advantage, lean into it, I say. If you have a method to keep getting people the comic books they're looking for...do it.
    There isn't any reason to assume the industry is leaving money off the table though, in fact, they would be likely to loose money. Digital comics have failed, whenever I see statistics on this matter, floppies and tpbs dwarf digital sales. If you aren't already inclined to buy comics digitally, you probably still aren't going too and since products only have one release date, a month from now, when these physical comics are available, they're going to be old news and not sell.

I think a lot of people understand that there is going to be delays because of the virus, why doesn't DC just use this opportunity to plan ahead and produce comics months in advance? Considering the shake ups DC has undergone recently I think this break should be looked upon as a boon to organize their publishing house.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

They could take this time to plan the next reboot.

By the time comics are back in shops, everyone would’ve forgotten what continuity they’re on, anyway.

And it’ll likely give them more time to plan than they did New52.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It's not about being fair, it's about being necessary and comic books aren't necessary to survive. That's why I think they should switch to digital for the time being, print distribution is out for obvious reasons.