Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,010

    Default Am I reading this right (DOOMSDAY CLOCK # 12 and Pre-COIE continuity)?

    Let me see if my interpretation of DOOMSDAY CLOCK's delineation of Pre-COIE continuity is correct.

    Originally, there was only one universe...the DCU of the Golden Age, as it was published from 1938 to perhaps as late as 1956.

    In 1956, the Multiverse was born the moment that the lightning bolt struck Central City police scientist Barry Allen, making him the Flash. That was the moment that the original universe divided into Earth-One (Silver and Bronze Age) and Earth-Two (Golden Age), though no word on the creation of other parallel universes such as Earth-Three, Earth-S, Earth-X, etc.

    After COIE, Earth-One was re-created as Earth-1985, which is separate from the Post-COIE Earth whose events were chronicled in most of the DC comics published between 1986 and 2011.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

    First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

    First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Metropolis USA
    Posts
    4,519

    Default

    Pretty much. At least, that's my interpretation of it. Haven't read it since December.
    Now listen to me, Clark! This great strength of yours--you've got to hide it from people or they'll be scared of you!

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Let me see if my interpretation of DOOMSDAY CLOCK's delineation of Pre-COIE continuity is correct.

    Originally, there was only one universe...the DCU of the Golden Age, as it was published from 1938 to perhaps as late as 1956.

    In 1956, the Multiverse was born the moment that the lightning bolt struck Central City police scientist Barry Allen, making him the Flash. That was the moment that the original universe divided into Earth-One (Silver and Bronze Age) and Earth-Two (Golden Age), though no word on the creation of other parallel universes such as Earth-Three, Earth-S, Earth-X, etc.

    After COIE, Earth-One was re-created as Earth-1985, which is separate from the Post-COIE Earth whose events were chronicled in most of the DC comics published between 1986 and 2011.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

    Yeah . . .


    I wouldn’t mind THAT.
    Pull List:
    Marvel: Spider-Man:Renew Your Vows, Champions, Marvel Two-in-One, Fantastic Four (2018), Avengers (2018), Mr and Mrs X, Ironheart
    DC: Not much these days, but being cautiously optimistic for Shazam! (2018-2019) and Young Justice

  4. #4
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    266

    Default

    I don't remember if all the multiverse was created when Barry got His Powers (and the Speed Force was created, I Hate that idea from Johns) , I think it already existed.

    But there was an original "Golden Age Earth", which then was turned into a "Silver Age Earth" and also a back up "Earth-2" was created; then COIE turned the "Silver Age Earth" into "New Earth" and a back up "Earth 1985" was created, etc. These happens in order to preserve every iteration of Superman.
    Last edited by Batgrayson; 03-23-2020 at 05:19 PM.

  5. #5
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Nah, I still think the main Earth/timeline ("the metaverse") was always a drop in the cosmic sea of the multiverse. However, whenever the current timeline became "defunct" and was replaced by a new one, it simply split off and deposited its previous self into a carbon copy Earth. The way I interpret it, it's a neat way of explaining why the comics in the Golden Age always "mattered" even when they were retroactively declared to be an alternate Earth, and then THAT Earth was rendered defunct, etc. No matter what, thanks to the metaverse, whatever timeline DC is publishing as its main universe always matters, and is always THE universe that all others diverge from. The Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age still form the DNA of the current Earth. And when you add Hypertime to the mix, you can craft an argument that DC does in fact have a singular canon universe as opposed to a dozen different Earths and timelines.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Metropolis USA
    Posts
    4,519

    Default

    My understanding was that when COIE happened, a sort of "back up" version of the multiverse was saved. So you have Earth 1985 which saved E-1's history and a back up E-2. Then after the New 52 was undone, that universe was saved too. So every time the universe reboots itself, the previous incarnation gets a "back up" version.
    Now listen to me, Clark! This great strength of yours--you've got to hide it from people or they'll be scared of you!

  7. #7

    Default

    I always thought that everytime a deviation happened a new universe was created.

    For example, when the New 52 happened it created the New 52 which we read about in the books; but the pre-New 52 universe kept going as usual. And when Rebirth happened a new universe was created and we read about them but the New 52 kept going as well as pre-New 52

    This can be taken all the way back to the very first deviation which I think would be Flash of Two Worlds

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member HandofPrometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I always thought that everytime a deviation happened a new universe was created.

    For example, when the New 52 happened it created the New 52 which we read about in the books; but the pre-New 52 universe kept going as usual. And when Rebirth happened a new universe was created and we read about them but the New 52 kept going as well as pre-New 52

    This can be taken all the way back to the very first deviation which I think would be Flash of Two Worlds
    That's how I read it. Now as for this structured timeline I have no idea what Earth that would be.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    That's how I read it. Now as for this structured timeline I have no idea what Earth that would be.
    Yeah, no clue either.

    They may try to merge them similar to COIE; but that would be a rehash

  10. #10
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5,020

    Default

    Much like the classic Pre-Crisis Earth-2 was similar to, but not exactly like the Golden Age continuity, I think Earth-1985 and Earth-52 are not exact duplicates of those particular incarnations of the DCU, but rather representations of the most iconic elements of them.

    Presumably, there are other Earths out there preserving the more chaotic Post-Crisis to Pre-Zero Hour continuity, the Post-Zero Hour to Pre-Infinite Crisis continuity, and the Post-Infinite Crisis to Pre-New 52 continuity where Lois & Clark first gave birth to Jonathan Kent. On Earth-1995, Superman is forever mulleted, Batman is stuck in a Sisyphean cycle of endless tragedies and disasters while Wonder Woman only wears star-spangled thongs. Meanwhile, on Earth-2006, Superman still has his Birthright origin, Batman has finally gotten over being a miserable grump with Tim Drake at his side, and Wonder Woman is still hanging out at her embassy with Ferdinand.

  11. #11
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    6,043

    Default

    But Doomsday Clock specifically expressed that the universes were created by changes to Superman, not the Flash.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •