Extraordinary Member

Default CBR ranks the 10 Best DC Comics Stories of the 80s

CBR ranks the 10 Best DC Comics Stories of the 80s. They've got some great ones but not sure I agree with them all.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-best-80s-stories/

10. Animal Man - "The Coyote Gospel"
    09. The Sandman - "Preludes And Nocturnes"
    08. New Teen Titans - "The Judas Contract"
    07. Legion Of Superheroes - "The Great Darkness Saga"
    06. Batman - "The Dark Knight Returns"
    05. Green Arrow - "The Longbow Hunters"
    04. "V For Vendetta"
    03. Swamp Thing - "American Gothic"
    02. "Crisis On Infinite Earths"
    01. "Watchmen"

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    CBR ranks the 10 Best DC Comics Stories of the 80s. They've got some great ones but not sure I agree with them all.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-best-80s-stories/

10. Animal Man - "The Coyote Gospel"
    09. The Sandman - "Preludes And Nocturnes"
    08. New Teen Titans - "The Judas Contract"
    07. Legion Of Superheroes - "The Great Darkness Saga"
    06. Batman - "The Dark Knight Returns"
    05. Green Arrow - "The Longbow Hunters"
    04. "V For Vendetta"
    03. Swamp Thing - "American Gothic"
    02. "Crisis On Infinite Earths"
    01. "Watchmen"
    It's sad to see how many of these have been revisited, reused and beaten to death even to today.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

These are all great stories but also all very serious stories.

Those first 12 issues of Justice League International deserves a spot on the list. "One-punch" alone is enough to put it there IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    These are all great stories but also all very serious stories.

Those first 12 issues of Justice League International deserves a spot on the list. "One-punch" alone is enough to put it there IMO.
    But those 12 issues don't make up a single story. They're a bunch of single- or two-issue stories with a mandated event-comic crossover. Well-made and both fun and funny, but still not a story.

I'm surprised the Legion story is being rated above the NTT story. Pleased but surprised.

I'm not really sure these are the "best" stories. More like the "Most Impactful" or "Most Influential."

Longbow Hunters may have led to Green Arrow finally getting his own ongoing title, but it also had a powerfully negative, long-term effect on Dinah/Black Canary.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    But those 12 issues don't make up a single story. They're a bunch of single- or two-issue stories with a mandated event-comic crossover. Well-made and both fun and funny, but still not a story.
    I see your point, but I always thought most of those 12 issues dealt with who Maxwell Lord was and his connection to forming the Justice League. I love those issues.