Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by omn View Post
    I'm sure this has occurred to you, but it's wild that you've essentially been documenting the Linearverse before the Linearverse was revealed or announced.
    We're all ripping off Morrison, who's been banging the drum for this kind of "Everything happened" approach to continuity since the 90s. The rest of us are just playing catch up

I reworked the banner to the Post-Crisis era that somehow looks surprisingly bright and happy for a period I’ve dubbed “The Dark Age”. Maybe the Copper Age would be more appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

I reworked the banner to the Post-Crisis era that somehow looks surprisingly bright and happy for a period I’ve dubbed “The Dark Age”. Maybe the Copper Age would be more appropriate
    It does seem like there was a brief period post-Crisis when DC's attitude was "Hey, Check Out Our Bright New Universe!" rather than "Hey, check out the horrible things we can do with our rebooted characters!"

Arguably, you could pin the pivot in attitude to the Dial-In Death of Jason Todd (December '88), indicating that the optimistic period was indeed quite brief. Other signposts:
    - The depressing Time Masters mini-series, which featured a teen suicide. (1990)
    - Lobo's first mini-series (1990)
    - The 1990 Adam Strange mini that killed of Alanna, and was based on Alan Moore's conception of Adam as a breeding stud for a sterile Rann.
    - Neil Gaiman's Arkham Asylum (1989)
    - The Killing Joke (1988)

So maybe there was, like, about 18 months from 87 through late 88 in which DC remained somewhat cheery in their post-Crisis world... but the darkness gearing up.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    It does seem like there was a brief period post-Crisis when DC's attitude was "Hey, Check Out Our Bright New Universe!" rather than "Hey, check out the horrible things we can do with our rebooted characters!"

Arguably, you could pin the pivot in attitude to the Dial-In Death of Jason Todd (December '88), indicating that the optimistic period was indeed quite brief. Other signposts:
    - The depressing Time Masters mini-series, which featured a teen suicide. (1990)
    - Lobo's first mini-series (1990)
    - The 1990 Adam Strange mini that killed of Alanna, and was based on Alan Moore's conception of Adam as a breeding stud for a sterile Rann.
    - Neil Gaiman's Arkham Asylum (1989)
    - The Killing Joke (1988)

So maybe there was, like, about 18 months from 87 through late 88 in which DC remained somewhat cheery in their post-Crisis world... but the darkness gearing up.
    Agreed. It felt like it took DC a little while to try to capitalize on the gains of Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns while completely misunderstanding why those stories are great

I’ve tweaked by post-1946 Superman section a bit more. I know none of this stuff is necessarily faithful to the comics, but I wanted to do something “in universe” to echo Siegel & Shuster’s being forcibly removed from their creation and establish some explanation for the Super-dickery comics of the 40s, 50s, and 60s. So, all the less than flattering stories of Superman and Lois are now the comics produced by Luthor, who owned DC Comics in this continuity.

I’ve updated the present day with the latest big events...

Update! Hello Yara, Jace, and others. I also finally included Roy Harper, who was left out unintentionally.

I’ve darkened up Catwoman’s skin during the 60s to not only represent Ertha Kitt, but to better portray the race bent nature of this version of Catwoman, whose parents are Carmine Falcone and an Afro-Cuban dancer. This separates the Golden Age Catwoman, Sadie Kalowski, from her half-sister Selena Calle, both of whom assume the name of “Selina Kyle”.

Also, I was going to remove Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt, from the Charlton section, as DC no longer owns the character, but since I’m not bound by copyright laws, I decided to keep him

I’ve reworked the dawn of the Golden Age to include the original Black Canary earlier than she originally appeared, given that was the direction that the 5G timeline was going to take and the new DCAU took with the recent Justice Society cartoon.

So, Black Canary first apppears in late 1939 around the same time as Flash and GL, but getting pregnant with her daughter by that rascal Larry Drake meant she missed out on her chance to found the JSA

I’ve tried to split the difference between the original Silver Age JLA stories and the Post-Crisis origin from Waid & Kitson’s JLA Year One by having Black Canary be their first new member, joining almost immediately after the team formed and the Trinity became too preoccupied with their own adventures to be full-time members, although WW devoted more time than either Supes or Bats due to her desire to ensure this new team lived up to the JSA’s legacy.

Seeing how Scott Snyder’s whole over-long Death Metal oeuvre ended up being the superhero comic equivalent of a wet fart signifying nothing, I’ve had some buyer’s remorse about including Perpetua in the Dawn of Time section. So, I’ve excised her and sent her packing to the second Dawn of Time of the Post-Crisis DCU, where she took advantage of the weakened state of the DCU to manipulate it towards her own ends. Essentially, I’m turning Perpetua into the Mother of All Shitty Post-Crisis Retcons.

Behold! Perpetua, Mother of Shitty Post-Crisis Retcons, Grandmother of Superboy-Prime Retcon-Punches! Fear her! Fear the Editoral Cluster#$&@!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Behold! Perpetua, Mother of Shitty Post-Crisis Retcons, Grandmother of Superboy-Prime Retcon-Punches! Fear her! Fear the Editoral Cluster#$&@!

Judging from your graphic, Bored, it looks like Wonder Woman ate the brunt of the fallout.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Also, I was going to remove Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt, from the Charlton section, as DC no longer owns the character, but since I’m not bound by copyright laws, I decided to keep him
    If you're looking for a good substitute, Son of Vulcan was another Charlton character who made it over to DC proper and had a role in the War of the Gods mini. Then a new version debuted with his own mini and some Titans-centric appearances, too.

lol, beautiful with the juxtaposition of Supes and Bats high fiving on one side and the DKR face off on the other side.