Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Judging from your graphic, Bored, it looks like Wonder Woman ate the brunt of the fallout.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I felt appropriate from Wonder Woman's eventual role in unknotting all the continuity during Death Metal, and DC terrible decisions in regards to her continuity post-Crisis. I almost put in Byrne's Hippolyta as WW2 Wonder Woman, but I kinda thought that was a pretty elegant retcon that solved a lot of the problems removing Diana from her early adventures had caused.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    If you're looking for a good substitute, Son of Vulcan was another Charlton character who made it over to DC proper and had a role in the War of the Gods mini. Then a new version debuted with his own mini and some Titans-centric appearances, too.
    If DC ever comes a knocking and copyright law is something I actually have to deal with, I'd probably swap Thunderbolt out for Judomaster, who has a similarly born out of white comics creators using stereotypical Eastern mysticism tropes. Son of Vulcan would be a great alternative, too, but since it's highly unlikely I will have to address the ownership of Thunderbolt, I think keeping him there is fine

I might add Son of Vulcan to that collage though. He's the only Charlton hero I missed. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    lol, beautiful with the juxtaposition of Supes and Bats high fiving on one side and the DKR face off on the other side.
    Thanks. I was looking for a more generic image of Superman and Batman shaking hands, but once I saw that, I knew that was the one. I was worried it might be too goofy, but Robanker reassured me that it was the right kind of campy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Thanks. I was looking for a more generic image of Superman and Batman shaking hands, but once I saw that, I knew that was the one. I was worried it might be too goofy, but Robanker reassured me that it was the right kind of campy.
    So the picture is pretty much you two.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    So the picture is pretty much you two.
    As long as I get to be Superman, sure

I didn’t think I’d fully captured the awfulness of the worst Post-Crisis retcons, so I threw in Identity Crisis and the Legion of Super-Pets for good measure.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I didn’t think I’d fully captured the awfulness of the worst Post-Crisis retcons, so I threw in Identity Crisis and the Legion of Super-Pets for good measure.

You could also have Pre-COIE Jason Todd and Post-COIE Jason Todd.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

You could also have Pre-COIE Jason Todd and Post-COIE Jason Todd.

You're absolutely right, but I think that's one of Post-Crisis retcons that actually worked pretty well. Having the second Robin essentially be a carbon copy of the first always struck me as an odd uninspired creative choice.

While street punk Jason Todd wasn't ever a character I had much fondness for, I have to admit it at least made him a distinct character from Dick Grayson. For this reason, I've spared him from inclusion in Perpetua's Shitty Retcons Wall of Shame, although I would agree that Jason's darker Post-Crisis origin certainly qualifies as something caused by Perpetua's meddling.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

You're absolutely right, but I think that's one of Post-Crisis retcons that actually worked pretty well. Having the second Robin essentially be a carbon copy of the first always struck me as an odd uninspired creative choice.

While street punk Jason Todd wasn't ever a character I had much fondness for, I have to admit it at least made him a distinct character from Dick Grayson. For this reason, I've spared him from inclusion in Perpetua's Shitty Retcons Wall of Shame, although I would agree that Jason's darker Post-Crisis origin certainly qualifies as something caused by Perpetua's meddling.
    You know it's funny: do you remember a panel from COIE # 11, the issue after the merge, when Swamp Thing makes an offhand remark about the newly reborn DC Universe feeling dark and corrupt? I don't necessarily think Marv Wolfman had in mind for that to be a moment of meta-commentary on the state of the DCU from a fan's point of view...especially in retrospect all these decades later, but reflecting upon it now, I find it almost prophetic.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

You know it's funny: do you remember a panel from COIE # 11, the issue after the merge, when Swamp Thing makes an offhand remark about the newly reborn DC Universe feeling dark and corrupt? I don't necessarily think Marv Wolfman had in mind for that to be a moment of meta-commentary on the state of the DCU from a fan's point of view...especially in retrospect all these decades later, but reflecting upon it now, I find it almost prophetic.

Yeah, little bits like that have been part of the fun for me of going back and trying to string the chaotic mess of all these disparate publishing companies being smooshed together into a makeshift continuity.

The creators involved certainly never intended for these elements to line up the way they do, but it's always satisfying to be able to make those connections. It really makes the DCU feel more like the living breathing organism that Morrison keeps talking about.

Allow me to pick a nit.

I'm pretty sure that panel was in CoIE #5, in the Monitor's satellite, while Earths One and Two were in limbo. So, before the merge.

Also, Swampy was most definitely referring to all the spooky stuff Constantine was showing him in the "American Gothic" storyline. So, it is kind of (sort of) a commentary on Moore's influence, if you squint.

swamp-thing-crisis-and-with-abby-arcane (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    On a side note, you gotta love the complete "WTF" looks on Jeb Stuart's and Ice Cream Soldier(?)'s face while Swamp Thing is talking. Rock, naturally, takes this stuff in stride - he's seen things, man.

Given his newfound prominence in Infinite Frontier, I’ve included the first appearance of Mr. Bones, alongside Artemis, who’s continuing to enjoy further prominence beyond the Young Justice cartoon thanks to the Stargirl TV show.

I also added an image of the short-lived Power of The Atom series for shits & giggles…

The excellent Other History of the DC Universe has prompted me to see where I can highlight the more underserved POC characters, so I included Geoff Johns’s retconning in of Amazing Man’s civil rights history during the 60s. I was hoping to include Ghost Fist from The Immortal Men, but that character ended up being too undercooked to even merit a mention. Great concept though. Hopefully, someone will revisit the pulpy exploits of Ghost Fist in 1930s Harlem to flesh out the character more.

Spectacular Member

The best part of this timeline is it’s usage of crisis events to extend lifespans rather than reboot history

It’s so much simpler than a floating timeline or multiple continuities

These are the same guys

DC should really consider using this as a model for their next reboot

A anti-crisis event where the DC history is restored and embraces the fact that the DC universe isn’t a floating timeline disconnected from history…but a multi-decade one that is married to history
    Last edited by Vathlonian; 09-06-2021 at 11:12 PM.