Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    That was never up for debate.
    Huh? No one has been or is debating with you. We're just confused about why you're posting the way you've been. You're being needlessly antagonistic and I don't know why. If you misunderstood what this thread was for, I can totally understand that. This was never meant to be a group project in which we all collaborated together. I'm only looking for suggestions on how to improve my history. Some of your ideas, and the ideas of others, have been very useful and led to additions and sometimes radical changes, whereas some have not. They weren't bad ideas, they just weren't suitable for what I'm trying to accomplish with this DCU history.

If you want to continue being antagonistic, you're simply going to prompt myself and other posters to ignore you, which would accomplish nothing as your ideas will never be heard. You don't need to view me or anyone else on this thread as your opponent, your enemy, or someone persecuting you. Thank you for your time and I hope you'll take what I'm saying to heart.

No, you just have been and are continuing to be utterly ridiculous. You’ve been debating with yourself and acting like I was participating in that. You see I moved on and you wrote whole paragraphs about whatever nonsense you’re going through. Next time either ask questions or try not to flip out so easily. At the very least take your own advice.
    Last edited by TheRay; 11-10-2020 at 08:35 PM.

The Crisis on Infinite Earths

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    No, you just have been and are continuing to be utterly ridiculous. You’ve been debating with yourself and acting like I was participating in that. You see I moved on and you wrote whole paragraphs about whatever nonsense you’re going through. Next time either ask questions or try not to flip out so easily. At the very least take your own advice.
    Ok, I tried. Bye!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

The NEW DC There’s no stopping us now!
    My native era, though I extend back a little further into the 1970s as well. 1977-1984 was my prime DC.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I could make a break at Zero Hour and another at Y2K when Didio was being brought on board, but it wouldn't make much sense for me to make a separate era for a period that didn’t last longer than a decade.

I originally had a different grouping of eras but I rejiggered it all when the whole Generations timeline got leaked and since that seems to be dead in the water, I could restructure it again.

Any suggestions? I like splitting it up into distinct ages of a similar number of years. The main exception is the first section and the last which both cover billions of years, but the superhero ages are each about 20 years, give or take.
    It's hard to believe that only six or seven years separated ZERO HOUR from the beginning of the Dan Didio era, but in fact, it WAS that short a time...it just didn't feel like it because so much changed during that short span.

To me, the Post-COIE era had several distinct periods. The first was from immediately Post-COIE in 1986 to I would say the introduction of Tim Drake as the third Robin in 1990. Then, we have a second period that spans 1990-1996, which covers the DEATH/FUNERAL/RETURN OF SUPERMAN trilogy, KNIGHTFALL/QUEST/END, EMERALD TWILIGHT, ZERO HOUR, culminating in Hal Jordan's death in THE FINAL NIGHT, which coincided with KINGDOM COME as an inflection point in DC's 1990s.

Beginning in 1997, we begin a gradual thaw of the blanket embargo on Pre-COIE DC, leading up the publication of the first COIE hardcover collection in 1998. This was the first time that DC editorial allowed direct, explicit references to Pre-COIE material since 1986. This period lasted until 2005 or so, when GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH/IDENTITY CRISIS/INFINITE CRISIS/SINESTRO CORPS WAR/BLACKEST NIGHT/BRIGHTEST DAY/FINAL CRISIS shook things up again.

2009 began a brief interim period between Barry Allen's return and FLASHPOINT, which led into the New 52 era beginning in 2011. That petered out around 2016.

The current era began in 2016 and continues to this day.

That might be cutting things up more than we want, though. DC just hasn't been as static and stable (for better or worse) during the past 35 years as it was for decades before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

That might be cutting things up more than we want, though. DC just hasn't been as static and stable (for better or worse) during the past 35 years as it was for decades before that.

Absolutely agreed about DC's instability since Crisis, which makes it difficult to put things into twenty year chunks like the Golden, Silver & Bronze Ages.

What do you guys think about chopping it up by time shenanigans?

That would put the Dark Age from '86 to '95, culminating in the Death of Superman, the Breaking of the Bat, the Star-Spangled Thong-ening of Wonder Woman, Emerald Twilight and Zero Hour?

Followed by a Neo-Silver Age from '95 to '06 with the rebooted LSH, Morrison's JLA, the rise (and fall) of the 3rd generation Flash, GL, & GA, and Kara Zor-El's return that ends with Infinite Crisis, which ushers in a Neo-Bronze Age that lasts until 2011

The a decade long Chaos Age would be the 5 year reboot of the New 52, followed by Rebirth and the subsequent uncertainty about the past, present and future that will hopefully come to an end with Death Metal's conclusion.

Does that make more sense?

Absolutely agreed about DC's instability since Crisis, which makes it difficult to put things into twenty year chunks like the Golden, Silver & Bronze Ages.

What do you guys think about chopping it up by time shenanigans?

That would put the Dark Age from '86 to '95, culminating in the Death of Superman, the Breaking of the Bat, the Star-Spangled Thong-ening of Wonder Woman, Emerald Twilight and Zero Hour?

Followed by a Neo-Silver Age from '95 to '06 with the rebooted LSH, Morrison's JLA, the rise (and fall) of the 3rd generation Flash, GL, & GA, and Kara Zor-El's return that ends with Infinite Crisis, which ushers in a Neo-Bronze Age that lasts until 2011

The a decade long Chaos Age would be the 5 year reboot of the New 52, followed by Rebirth and the subsequent uncertainty about the past, present and future that will hopefully come to an end with Death Metal's conclusion.

Does that make more sense?
    I like it.

Yup. The Earth-1/Earth-2 characters still exist in this history, but they each co-exist on a singular Earth that has been split into two Hypertime streams. It allows me to use as much of both the Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis stuff as possible. I elaborate more on it within the history itself (particularly in the Epilogue where I try to explain all the time shenanigans and Multiverse of it all work)
    I kind of get that. It just seems a little jarring on a Titans page to have an odd moment of "Meanwhile, on the Earth-2-ish Hypertime stream," especially since that particular Robin wasn't getting much (if any) publishing oomph during the period of the New Titans ascendancy.

Maybe there should be an all-purpose "The Last Days of Earth-Two" collage, spanning the revival of All-Star Comics, through the death of Batman and the launch of Infinity Inc., all the way up through the Crisis and the original JSA getting shoveled off to Limbo to stave off Ragnarok.

Oh, and in case I haven't mentioned this - this is all insanely great stuff. You are a credit to insanely dedicated super-passionate fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    I kind of get that. It just seems a little jarring on a Titans page to have an odd moment of "Meanwhile, on the Earth-2-ish Hypertime stream," especially since that particular Robin wasn't getting much (if any) publishing oomph during the period of the New Titans ascendancy.

Maybe there should be an all-purpose "The Last Days of Earth-Two" collage, spanning the revival of All-Star Comics, through the death of Batman and the launch of Infinity Inc., all the way up through the Crisis and the original JSA getting shoveled off to Limbo to stave off Ragnarok.

Oh, and in case I haven't mentioned this - this is all insanely great stuff. You are a credit to insanely dedicated super-passionate fandom.
    Yeah, Earth-2 Dick is a little out of place among the Titans stuff. I will rearrange some stuff. I didn't want to isolate the Earth-2 too much in order to emphasize that, unlike in the original comics, these guys weren't separated from the rest of the DCU on their own Earth, but I like your idea of giving them a more proper send-off, particularly the characters that didn't survive the remerging of Earth-1/Earth-2 like OG Robin & Huntress.

Thanks!

I think you have a much better grasp of Wonder Woman history than myself. Do you feel that the broad strokes of her history is being fairly represented?

Restingvoice mentioned that Ares was actually responsible for manipulating Herakles during his interactions with the Amazons, so I adjusted that. Is there anything else you think I should tweak?

Despite my many attempts, I haven't found many Wonder Woman comics that held my interest outside of Perez and Rucka's first run
    There's gaps in my knowledge but seems good for what you say is just an overall broad look.

I think the major thing missing from the Themyscira pre-Diana history is after throwing out Hercakles, the Amazon split into the ones that lived on the island and the ones that became the Bana-Midghall (the group where Artemis comes from).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    There's gaps in my knowledge but seems good for what you say is just an overall broad look.

I think the major thing missing from the Themyscira pre-Diana history is after throwing out Hercakles, the Amazon split into the ones that lived on the island and the ones that became the Bana-Midghall (the group where Artemis comes from).
    Good call! I had completely skipped over Antiope and her faction of Amazons. Depending upon how Kelly Sue & Jimenez's Amazonian history turns out, I might make some further tweaks once it's released, which seems to be whenever Wonder Woman 84 gets to theaters--so I'm not holding my breath

I'll also do a revamp of the images as well in order to include Antiope, whose importance has certainly risen following Robin Wright's kickass portrayal of her.

When you're able, please take a look at the revised text and let me know if that sounds right.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post

I like this much better. Great suggestion. I appreciate it.

I am reading America vs. the JSA for the first time now. I’ll see if I can incorporate any of it.

I added Robin & Huntress to Crisis, freaking out at their imminent erasure from history
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 11-12-2020 at 01:06 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Hey!is any of the non superhero franchises or characters or stories included in history of dc.i mean,the black hawk,slam Bradley,bill Congo..etc
    Edit-scratch that I read the pdf.thanks.this is cool.BTW.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-12-2020 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Hey!is any of the non superhero franchises or characters or stories included in history of dc.i mean,the black hawk,slam Bradley,bill Congo..etc
    Edit-scratch that I read the pdf.thanks.this is cool.BTW.
    Thanks for checking it out. Any suggestions?