Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Your thoughts on the current state of Marvel right now? Should things change?

So I've been hearing how a lot of people are not happy with current events in Marvel with New Warriors and Children of the Atom and Marvel's really been pushing this stuff for a while trying to reinvent old characters which I don't really. I'd rather they steer away from identity politics all together that's just my opinion and I feel the only thing that can really turn things around outside of a reboot is a Crisis type of event where a lot of the bad stuff they've pulled over the years gets erased old heroes are brought back and things go back to how it used to be before Ms. Marvel became a Captain and what not and maybe the real Captain Marvel can come back this way it doesn't even have to get rid of Kamala I can see both Marvel's tying the not and maybe in the new continuity she could be an orphan they adopt which I think would be a good story arc since I've never really understood Kamala and Carol but I'm getting off topic.

Here's my idea there can be a Mr. Mxyzptlk slash Perpetua type character that's revealed to be like the grand creator behind everything and he could function and behave like a writer and the story begins with him realizing he's not happy with how things are going and he starts by bringing back Captain Marvel and other long dead heroes whose return stirs up trouble and it turns out he wants Captain Marvel and company to kill the characters he doesn't like as part of some story but Captain Marvel (who get's cast as the star of the show) is the only one who refuses and so the big bad throws a trantrum because Captain Marvel's rebellion ruin's his story and he just decides destroying worlds and "rewriting" everything is a better option which kicks off a whole massive event around the original Captain Marvel trying to save everything.

One of the reasons I love this idea is that I think it'd be fun to get an evil Deadpool like character who takes shots at everything but unlike Deadpool is too serious for his own good and gets ripped on by Deadpool for it. I think that'd be sweet to see. I can see Deadpool saying "So your ripping off DC while claiming to be improving the multiverse wow super original." and the Bad Guy to counter with "Oh coming from a walking ripoff of Deathstroke that means a lot."

I just think a foe that's pretty much unbeatable and threatens everything in the multiverse would be pretty cool to see in Marvel especially if he had some sort of petty reason for destroying everything but at the same time was complex because he did care about the multiverse in his own weird way.

Essentially a character like this

BANNED

we already have too many of these "big bad behind everything"

the one below all, the first firmament, beyonders

Honestly, sometimes I would like to see a reboot, but it's just a bad idea. DC did it well (relatively speaking) with Post-Crisis, but they still had many growing pains and continuity issues to iron out. Then the New 52 was horrible, because they tried to make a clean slate, but still acknowledge iconic stories as happening, but selectively. Basically, it tried to have its cake and eat it too. It was a mess. That's before you factor that no one was really asking for it to begin with.

In the case of Marvel, said problem would be even worse. It goes back to the '60s, and the Timely era from the '40s was welded into continuity. Furthermore, Marvel as a whole has always been very interconnected with lore elements being annexed elsewhere, people moving to other supporting casts (or sharing them), heroes teaming up out of the blue, heroes fighting other people's villains, and of course, the big events that effect everyone. Marvel wears its shared universe on its sleeve. To reboot the line, you'd have to account for all of that. At least with DC, even at its most interconnected, still maintained pretty distinct corners, and even then it hurt more than it helped.

Also, the biggest reason I don't want a big reboot: I fear they'll use this as the opportunity to "sync" with the MCU. There was already these "square peg in a round hole" attempts before, with character designs, importing characters, changing personalities to match the movies, and just trying to be more like the movies as a selling point. They're too different to make it work with the established continuity. But if they're just going to reboot it all... well, expect a lot of MCU influenced decisions, like making the MCU founders the Marvel Comics founders, making Stark the builder of Ultron, turning Hank and Janet into Cold War heroes, Spider-Man mentored by Tony Stark, and a lot of aesthetics based on the MCU. I don't much care to see "MCU, the comics" and I don't trust the higher-ups enough to refrain from this if they're resetting the continuity.

Best bet to solve many of the issues? For one, get a Jim Shooter-esque EiC who cares about quality and continuity. Second, stop greenlighting crap like NuWarriors and COTA. Just focus on making good stories first, and put more effort into new characters than none at all. As for the bad titles, sweep them under the rug and forget they exist.

BANNED

"So I've been hearing a lot about how people aren't happy with books they haven't read yet."

This is basically comic fandom all day every day.

The solution is to let books come out and let people read them or not read them for themselves.

Stop making preemptive assumptions. The internet needs to stop going into a tizzy at the drop of a hat.

Especially now. I mean, honestly.

It's nice to still put our mind towards trivial things but worrying about that a small segment of fans are offended in advance by something that none of them have actually read yet is just silly.

No one might be reading any of these books for some time, depending on how things go.

Let's worry about the actual reaction to them and their actual content when they do in fact arrive.

I do not want to see a reboot. Because then in a few years you would have to have another to fix what the first reboot messed up. Look at DC how many times have they rebooted. It has really turned me off of them. I dint have faith that Marvel would handle it better.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Please no reboot. DC history is a mess. "wait the first batman was from another earth then died?" "what do you mean that issue of superman from just 5 years ago is not canon?" "what do you mean this 50s issue of superman, 70s issue of superman, 80s issue of superman and 90s issue of superman are from 3 to 4 realities and not canon anymore?" "what do you mean that hero was never in the jla and them two never married?"

What a mess. Marvel doesn't need a reboot. Just tell good stories and less crappy events.

Fantastic Member

This is not it chief

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

No reboot.

Stop pimping out certain books. Only certain franchises deserve multiple books and only then keep it to 2 - 4. Where the *** were people gonna find money for 5 Black Panther books?

Keep your world coherent. Why the *** are writers just doing what they want with elements from other books? Why is Phoenix is Asgard, Atlantean, Wakandan and Thanos lore? How the hell is Storm helping T'Challa in space when all the mutants are building up their island state? Why is Susan Richards all of a sudden on a Captain America cheerleader squad? Why are they fighting Selene when Xavier banned all mutant villains from harming the flatscans? ***ing ***.

Ease up on the events. Once a year and keep it restricted to ONE line of books and NO spin-offs. Spin off? then *** off.

Kick all those frauds on creative teams who have no interest in comic books.
    "Cable was right!"

I don't care, wake me up when they stop shitting on the Wasp

Uhhh not when The X-Men are at their awesomest lol

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I don't care, wake me up when they stop shitting on the Wasp
    They tend to fly below the waist I guess it's hard not to.

Jk
    GrindrStone(D)

Well until someone changes the culture of Marvel comics office things are going to remain the same. We will be doomed to see Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man as the 3 "really important " heroes, where the stories written about them are just recycled of other past writers that see them as to holy to be progressed in any new, or innovative way. Also why is the office dead set on the fallacy that 40 yrs old white guys can write EVERY other demographic in a fresh, balanced, thoughtful manner? I have never seen characters that scream tone-deafness so loud before I even needed to read it in my life!!! Among my friends, male and female we often kill ourselves laughing at how lame and weak acting many black heroes are made to be when interacting with white peers. It takes an exceptional writer to be able to thoughtfully give voice a character that you don't represent. Its funny that only now Marvel has been exposed as having too many unexceptional writers on the staff. The trash we see in New Warriors is to be expected.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel;-4903144
    So I've been hearing how a lot of people are not happy with current events in Marvel with New Warriors and Children of the Atom and Marvel's really been pushing this stuff for a ws where certain folks don't exisit.hile trying to reinvent old characters which I don't really.]
    You do know that is mainly lead by folks who don't buy comics, have not read Marvel in 20-30 years, guys with youtube channels trying to get MONEY and folks who take issue with anything NOT a certain demographic.

Why are they throwing a fit over books that they are never going to support? Oh that's right many of them have issues with POC EXISTING. Because it's funny that is always the target.

It's one thing to have issues with HOW they are done once the book comes OUT and one has READ (not set fire, stab, eat, pee on, crap on or tear up pages while inn your car/bed). All we are seeing are mainly trolls with agendas.

One of those trolls tried using those two book to scream this is why we need to support black indy creators. Never mind that person has ATTACKED indy Black creators especially when he was with a certain group.

Understand what a reboot is-it's starting at ground ZERO.

Your first Spider-Man is ONLY Peter Parker. There is no Miles Morales

Your first X-Men team is all WHITE

We go back to the 1940-1960s where certain folks don't exist. Which is what some folks (who don't buy comics want because as one person put it "I can't go to a comic book store because there is an Asian hulk.")

You are reintroducing EVERYBODY. How many books would that have to be? How long do you wait to introduce Miles? Luke Cage's daughter?

What folks forget is a REBOOT really means I CAN REWRITE WHATEVER I WANT.

Which opens up a bigger can of worms.

Tony Stark and his STEP daughter Riri Williams become Iron Man & Inronheart together.
    The first Cap America was Eli Bradley's Grandpa and HE follows in his footstep and not Steve.
    There was no X-Men-they were all Inhumans with the first team being Crystal, Storm, jean, Logan, Mosaic, Scott & Iceman-who was already LGBTQ.
    Foster child Miles Morales gets bit by a spider and a blood transfusion from his foster dad PETER PARKER gives him powers.

That is what a reboot opens up.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You do know that is mainly lead by folks who don't buy comics, have not read Marvel in 20-30 years, guys with youtube channels trying to get MONEY and folks who take issue with anything NOT a certain demographic.

Why are they throwing a fit over books that they are never going to support? Oh that's right many of them have issues with POC EXISTING. Because it's funny that is always the target.
    You're kidding, right? Dude, literally everyone hates those two titles.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Most of the YouTubers who roast Marvel and DC on the regular buy the books. YoungRippa, Comics Matter w/Zack, JustSomeGuy and HeelsVsBabyFace buy the books. If things are so bad that PewDeePie is roasting your book, you're not as creative as you thought you were.
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Well until someone changes the culture of Marvel comics office things are going to remain the same. We will be doomed to see Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man as the 3 "really important " heroes, where the stories written about them are just recycled of other past writers that see them as to holy to be progressed in any new, or innovative way. Also why is the office dead set on the fallacy that 40 yrs old white guys can write EVERY other demographic in a fresh, balanced, thoughtful manner? I have never seen characters that scream tone-deafness so loud before I even needed to read it in my life!!! Among my friends, male and female we often kill ourselves laughing at how lame and weak acting many black heroes are made to be when interacting with white peers.

How many bad white writers do we see KEEP getting books despite horrible sales? Dc got a PACK of them. How many of them get franchise leading books?

Also as Cheryl Lynn Eaton put it on Twitter-that good olde boy network keeps getting in the way as days having a name. See COATES.

How does Coates get Cap America? Priest and MCDuffie couldn't.

Lets not forget the story Alex Kot told about a marvel editor that didn't know of black writers-mind you Marvel had 3 working there at the time.

Where the *** were people gonna find money for 5 Black Panther books?
    The same places where they get money for all those variants and X-Men books and event books and the books that they HATE buy.

Now Black Panther didn't need 5-OGN would have worked better for Killmonger, WOW, The Crew & Wakanda Forever (along with better writing).

Shuri-I could understand but who yo are going after buys trades.

X-Men does not 15 books. Same with Batman & Peter Parker. They are flooding bins and taking shelf space. Because once your sheep buy them, you are still stuck with a TON of unsold copies. Even when you have sales.
    A store I go to had all books a dollar for a WEEK. X-men-you had 90% completed arcs and variants for $1. NOBODY came. There were so many X-Men those shelves were ready to BREAK.

Some of these books need to be OGN starting at $10 and let them come out every 4-6 months.

And that would allow more variety of who gets a book. A $10 Wonder man book is not going to kill Marvel. It would allow new talent to get introduced.