Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

A hard, complete reboot is an interesting concept but keep in mind though that even DC never actually went that far.

DC has a long history with reboots cause it has an even longer history with multi Earths, legacy characters and a fine tradition of writing themselves into a corner.

And man, it's quite an achievement to write a good crisis. It's not everyone who can write "Crisis on Infinite Earths". So yeah, i don't think that a complete reboot is something Marvel is ever going to do nor that it's something we should hope for.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    As someone who lived through the "good ol' days", my back issues are with me whenever I ever want to revisit them.

I want today's comics to keep moving forward, not to just be a nostalgia act.

Books like the Hickman-led X-line, Ewing's Immortal Hulk, Zdarsky's Daredevil, Spencer's ASM are as good as anything from the "good ol' days" in my opinion.
    Quoted for truth.

Despite what the "reaction vids" repeat ad nauseum, constantly going back to bygone eras and maintaining the status quo is a much bigger problem for the industry than Kamala Khan or Moon Girl. The constant need to return to the status quo has robbed us of many great characters like Wally West and Cassandra Cain. Comics should be forward looking and not the other way around and they MUST reflect the world at large. That's what makes Hickman's re-tooling of the X-men so brilliant, he took existing characters and built upon the decades of continuity established and moved the entire concept forward. That's how storytelling should be done.

Hard reboots are even more problematic and I would argue that DC's last reboot got them into something of a rut...so much so that they needed to "de-boot" said reboot. A reboot doesn't ever solve the problem because in multiple ongoing series in a shared continuity, storytelling will always become somewhat convoluted.

Lastly, people really need to stop getting information from social media. According to some on youtube, everything is failing in the world because "ESSJAYDUBYAS" and because liberals are taking away their toys. After the Captain Marvel debacle, i'm surprised so many people still pay attention to these guys. These guys are hucksters, con men that are cashing on people's ignorance. Don't be fooled.
    Last edited by Username taken; 03-26-2020 at 07:36 AM.

I'm going to refrain from using very strong language but those books aren't even out yet. What is there to be mad about exactly? Yes some new characters have hilariously awful names but outside of that there's nothing. These people are more sensitive than the snowflakes they complain about. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Marvel comics right now.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I'm going to refrain from using very strong language but those books aren't even out yet. What is there to be mad about exactly? Yes some new characters have hilariously awful names but outside of that there's nothing. These people are more sensitive than the snowflakes they complain about. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Marvel comics right now.
    They named a LGBT character after a derogatory word so they deserve some backlash.

Also ease up on the events. I only managed to pick up House/Powers of X and War of the Realms last year.
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    They named a LGBT character after a derogatory word so they deserve some backlash.

Also ease up on the events. I only managed to pick up House/Powers of X and War of the Realms last year.
    When I went to Daniel and the artist's twitter page-that was the most common complaint. Especially from non binary folks. Now that I can understand. Especially if this is really marvel's first Non Binary hero.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    When I went to Daniel and the artist's twitter page-that was the most common complaint. Especially from non binary folks. Now that I can understand. Especially if this is really marvel's first Non Binary hero.
    It’s not, btw.

BANNED

This is the best marvel have been in decades

Only 5 years ago it was an utter mess

No X-Men
    No fantastic four
    Change every hero with a diversity push at once
    Spider-Man was a murderer sex creep

Now We’ve got X-Men and FF back and on top
    Spider-Man is actually fun
    Avengers is solid
    Diverse heroes along side originals instead Of replacing them

Alonso, IKe and Bendis were not healthy for marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Isn’t this what the Ultimate universe essentially did?
    How so? All those characters I mentioned?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    This is the best marvel have been in decades

Only 5 years ago it was an utter mess

No X-Men
    No fantastic four
    Change every hero with a diversity push at once
    Spider-Man was a murderer sex creep

Now We’ve got X-Men and FF back and on top
    Spider-Man is actually fun
    Avengers is solid

Alonso, IKe and Bendis were not healthy for marvel.
    The X-Men? Yeah. The FF, though? I mean, they're back but the current title hasn't really done much except for try to mine for nostalgia and recapture the magic of old-school Fantastic Four comics.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    It’s not, btw.
    Who is the first one?

Because pretty every complaint I saw in the Twitter post for that book folks kept saying that.

Or is this the first black one?

Last time I checked they were already doing that ALL the time.

Who did we actually have?

Ms Marvel replaced nobody
    X-23 was Wolverine while Logan was an old man
    Falcon was Cap America while Steve was Cap or an Old man
    Dr DOOM was Ironman NOT Riri Williams. Funny he did get a tenth of the hate Riri got.
    Miles Morales took over a different version of Peter but OG Peter was around
    Kate Bishop was Hawkeye as was CLint
    Cho was Hulk while Bruce was not and later killed
    Punisher was War Machine while Rhodey was dead-
    Sam Alexander (forever hated) was Nova and Rich is around
    Jane was Thor and Odinson was still around

10 changes with 2 folks (later 3) off the table.

Jane, Sam, Miles & Khan were already in their roles before 2015.
    As was Cho, Falcon and maybe X-23.

So 7 were already around.
    That leaves 3-who took over later and 2 did not endure attacks.

The utter mess was seeing grown men throw FITS over seeing diverse folks actually get some promotion and do more than be in the background and stand on their own instead.
    FIts were thrown over 10-12 out of 90 books.
    WHo still keep doing it.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Who is the first one?

Because pretty every complaint I saw in the Twitter post for that book folks kept saying that.

Or is this the first black one?
    Technically, the first non-binary hero Marvel has ever had was Cloud, from the 80s Defenders. A character that switched back and forth between male and female. Then the Captain Marvel books from the 90s brought us Steck'ee, Genis-Vell's significant other, a shapeshifter that had a ''I don't see gender'' mindset and similarly, switched to different forms. Then Runaways gave us Xavin in the early 00s, another shapeshifter that didn't conform to gender norms. Then we had Loki, who even though has existed ever since the 60s, only really embraced a genderfluid identity in modern times, with the arrival of their Lady Loki persona. None of those characters specifically labelled themselves as ''non-binary'', but I think you can fit them in that category, considering they are essentially characters that diverge from the binary notion that you can only be either this or that.

And yeah, you could say Snowflake is the first black NB character (Xavin always presented themself as black in their human form, but that's of course not the same thing as being naturally black). I guess one could also argue they might be the first human NB character, since all others were other-worldly beings with shapeshifting abilities that made it more convenient for them to be portrayed as genderqueer. So, in a way, Snowflake COULD be the most realistic representation of that identity, considering comic books' standards.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 04-01-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    How so? All those characters I mentioned?
    What you’re envisioning if I understand you correctly is a rebooted universe, eliminating old continuity, while making changes to the characters without making them totally unrecognisable. To me, that’s exactly whT the Ultimate Universe was, only they didn’t take away the Long running universe when they created the new one.

Personally I’ve always hated the idea of a reboot. And if they took away the continuity we’ve had for decades, that would likely end my relationship with Marvel in regards to new books. But that’s just me.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Technically, the first non-binary hero Marvel has ever had was Cloud, from the 80s Defenders. A character that switched back and forth between male and female. Then the Captain Marvel books from the 90s brought us Steck'ee, Genis-Vell's significant other, a shapeshifter that had a ''I don't see gender'' mindset and similarly, switched to different forms. Then Runaways gave us Xavin in the early 00s, another shapeshifter that didn't conform to gender norms. Then we had Loki, who even though has existed ever since the 60s, only really embraced a genderfluid identity in modern times, with the arrival of their Lady Loki persona. None of those characters specifically labelled themselves as ''non-binary'', but I think you can fit them in that category, considering they are essentially characters that diverge from the binary notion that you can only be either this or that.

And yeah, you could say Snowflake is the first black NB character (Xavin always presented themself as black in their human form, but that's of course not the same thing as being naturally black). I guess one could also argue they might be the first human NB character, since all others were other-worldly beings with shapeshifting abilities that made it more convenient for them to be portrayed as genderqueer. So, in a way, Snowflake COULD be the most realistic representation of that identity, considering comic books' standards.
    I think when they say Snowflake is the first nonbinary character, they're using that label as distinct from genderfluid which more accurately describes most of the characters you listed, even though technically genderfluid falls under the nonbinary umbrella. Nonbinary for this purpose = someone who identifies as neither male nor female at any time, taking a more middle ground, androgynous approach. Genderfluid can identify as male or female, or neither, or both, depending on how they're feeling that day. Like, Loki does not go by 'they/them' typically, except maybe in a really broad sense, it's either 'he/him' or 'she/her' depending on the situation. But Snowflake would be they/them all the time, identifying as neither male nor female. That's my take on it anyway.

Alternately, if referring to the trolls complaining, rather than anything Marvel has said, then it may just be that they are unaware of any of the other examples. though some of them are fairly prominent, but most did not really use the labels of nonbinary/genderfluid, it was something you had to kind of infer.

edited to add- I have always been a big proponent of respecting the past but embracing the future. I don't want things to stagnate and stay the same, even if i do like a lot of stuff from the past. I like to see things progress and change, the old stories aren't going anywhere, they can still be enjoyed at any time, and I don't need to see the same status quo on repeat forever. so yes, things should change. Not because I dislike what's going on now, just.... on principle. I also do not want a reboot. Because the journey from one point in a character's development to another point is part of the appeal, and I don't want that progress lost (on the few characters they've allowed this to happen) I've become invested in the journey.
    Last edited by Raye; 04-02-2020 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Lastly, people really need to stop getting information from social media. According to some on youtube, everything is failing in the world because "ESSJAYDUBYAS" and because liberals are taking away their toys. After the Captain Marvel debacle, i'm surprised so many people still pay attention to these guys. These guys are hucksters, con men that are cashing on people's ignorance. Don't be fooled.
    I think people who listen to that stuff listen because they want to believe it, truth be damned.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Instead of a reboot, I think Marvel just needs to trim some fat. They have flooded the shelves with books and just aren't selling. They really need to stay away from events too. They should keep their best sellers and some of their mid tier sellers, focus on those books. Once they have consistently keep the sales up for those titles, they think about focusing on the titles that didn't sell well.

I also don't want to be mean but they have a few writers that just aren't really good. They need to cut them loose as well instead of giving them books over and over.
    Last edited by gooch4011; 04-02-2020 at 09:04 AM.