Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I've said this before and I'll say it again, there are characters that people like the idea of. People like the idea of Rose Tico more than the actual character imho.
    Funny, I actually liked the character.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Funny, I actually liked the character.
    Well, every character is someone's favorite. I think in the long run Jar Jar will be more beloved. "Meesa' no longa' most hated characta' Annie"
    Last edited by Anthony W; 04-01-2020 at 04:55 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

iMan 42s

Hating Jar Jar is like people hating the word "moist" and being afraid of clowns. Everybody is someone's favorite and some people find other characters crap, but the hate for Jar Jar on a genuine level as it's perceived in pop-culture does not exist in reality outside the most out of touch of viewers. He's a punching bag at the time like how Rose is treated now because it was topical. Nobody wakes up in a fevered sweat at TLJ having the audacity to include Roce Tico.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Skip ahead at least three hundred years.
    That’s the smartest idea in terms of major projects - get away from the Skywalker Saga entirely, or if you’re attached to it, make sure you’ve got supreme flexibility in the background thanks to the time skip. As mentioned earlier, the Legacy comics managed to be pretty good because they could flex and stretch out to make sure their still more derivative elements had some differentiation - creating an army of tattooed Sith Lords may seem like overkill, but at least it could be a plausible idea a hundred years after ROTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    A lot of the new characters got wasted. I would love to seen Finn, Poe and Rose again.
    Finn’s the only one I’d be really interested in seeing more of, and only then if I knew someone had ambitious plans for him and a more dramatic take on him. Him becoming a Jedi sounds a lot more interesting than Rey being Luke 2.0, and there’s still a mountain of dramatic potential in his past that isn’t something we’ve seen before to mine.

Poe I’m largely apathetic towards - I kind of liked him more Wedge Antilles-esque characterization, but not enough to read his comic, and now that he’s been slowly devolved into just a Han Solo clone, I’d honestly just read Han Solo.

Rose... Rose I feel could use a recalibration and relaunch as a character post-TROS. I genuinely don’t think anything about the character was all that good in TLJ - Kelly Marie Tran’s skills are basically the entirety of the character’s appeal, and there’s only so much she can do with a character who only had two purposes: spout Rian Johnson’s (redundant and badly executed) literary themes for the film, and be a Not-Rey lover interest for Finn. So if she did make major post-TROS appearances, I think “rebooting” the character would kind fo be in order - don’t change her actual past, but know how to write her better than Rian Johnson did in TLJ... which is not exactly a tall order.

Rose did get the Jar-Jar-in-AOTC-and-ROTS treatment in TROS, which s a shame, because I think she wa a much more easy to salvage than him. Jar Jar’s issue was that he was a “kid appeal” character based entirely off of comic relief; that limited ways to salvage him with fans who didn’t click with him the first time, since he was always meant to have a limited appeal to a particular demographic when released. Rose’s problem was that her story was bland, boring, and somewhat preachy because she was Rian Johnson’s mouthpiece, but also suffering from Johnson explicitly removing dramatically intriguing ideas from her and Finn’s story out of apathy.

It’s harder to “fix” Jar-Jar, but he does have defenders in the PT demographic that were young enough for his broad humor to work with them as kids. It’s easier to “fix” Rose, but with her you have to deal with more outright apathy than with either hate or love - people like her and love KMT, but there’s a reason complaints about her lack of screentime are more about the actress than the character.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

One good thing about the Skywalker saga being over is that they can start with a blank slate. I think having it take place far in the future would be the best bet.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think they need to set it a few hundred years past this last trilogy, and they need to let go of the whole galaxy being controlled by one group. We have seen two version of the Republic and and Empire crash and burn trying to control everything. It is time for there to be different factions in the Star Wars galaxy controlling different parts. Sort of like how in Star Trek you have the whole galaxy divided up between conflicting groups.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    It’s harder to “fix” Jar-Jar, but he does have defenders in the PT demographic that were young enough for his broad humor to work with them as kids. It’s easier to “fix” Rose, but with her you have to deal with more outright apathy than with either hate or love - people like her and love KMT, but there’s a reason complaints about her lack of screentime are more about the actress than the character.
    In the "Aftermath" books, there's a brief sequence where Jar-Jar's fate is revealed. He's a lonely old man clowning around for the kids who are too young to remember his role in giving Palpatine emergency powers. It's a poignant and fitting end to his PT arc.
    Last edited by David Walton; 04-06-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I think Jar-Jar is an enjoyable character. But there's also a tragic element to his story: in the "Aftermath" books, there's a brief sequence where Jar-Jar is a lonely figure shunned by everyone who's old enough to remember his role in giving Palpatine emergency powers. So he becomes this sad clown for the little kids who are too young to understand why he's so hated.
    It’s easier to provide an ironic but tragic element to a clown than to try and reciting a “misaligned and maligned” dramatic character like Rose. Lucas could push Jar Jar to the background, and since humor is separated a bit from drama, not have the main dramatic story miss that character’s contribution.

Rose’s problem in comparison is she was a serious and dramatic character, and they need serious and dramatic “rehabilitations” if you’re going to “fix” them. I would have gladly taken that in TROS.

Though I’m also the guy who think Ben Solo is a far more damaging character than either Jar Jar or Rose, simply because he wound up being a fantasy character the sacrificed much of the ST for when the realized the problem with having the only ST Skywalker be school shooter Neo-Nazi, than refused to course correct with Rey in a good way.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

iMan 42s

I think a unique take would be the stuff created from Sith science like the Rakghouls and zombies. Zombies especially given that the Rogue One suits got used for The Mandolorian and yellowed and beaten up while the OT stormtrooper suits seen in TROS are beaten to Hell (albeit intentionally).

You'd come into it with a few actual good dilemmas for the heroes like bombing a world or even blowing one up to purge the plague. And since ghouls or zombies aren't on either faction's side you'd have Empire, First Order, and New Republic in an awkward setting.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I'll be honest, I just want to see a future where the Jedi Order has been built up again, though with philosophical differences from the one we see in the PT.

Extraordinary Member

I'll be honest, I just want to see a future where the Jedi Order has been built up again, though with philosophical differences from the one we see in the PT.
    After TFA, I was someone hoping that we’d end up seeing that either Luke experimented with abandoning the no-attachments thing (...at least enough to explain Rey...) or that Rey would end up experimenting against the same rule (with Finn, who at that point was the only character at that point who made sense as a romantic interest for her... and still is, because Reylo is trash as they made it.) Supposedly, Luke’s order in the STks backstory had abandoned the idea... but those characters effectively just became cannon fodder for Kylo’s back story, first as his counterparts to Vader’s Temple Massacre, then as the idiots who just kept falling over themselves into death so poor Benny Bunny wouldn’t be a school shooter as originally intended.

And then Luke dies before he could actually train a Rey, so it’s not his Order anymore.

I think most fans wouldn’t mind seeing the Jedi be a bit less “ivory tower” space wizards, and like to see them act more down to earth. I know a bunch of old Legends fans used to hold that the New Jedi Order was superior to the Old Jedi Order because it allowed for families and a more “blue collar” approach to the Force. Now... there were also a whole bunch of Dark Jedi in Luke’s first classes of Jedi, but eh, that was more a result of LFL just repeating story ideas for a while

In the "Aftermath" books, there's a brief sequence where Jar-Jar's fate is revealed. He's a lonely old man clowning around for the kids who are too young to remember his role in giving Palpatine emergency powers. It's a poignant and fitting end to his PT arc.
    Not sure if it was a fitting end in the narrative sense, but, in the meta sense, it really seemed like a fair coda on how the character was received ILR.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

After 9? Nothing. Even Disney said they were putting it to a halt for a while.

This new trilogy sacrificed all the characters fans loved for ones the extreme majority doesn't give a crap about

All stories will definitely take place before TFA.

Yeah I'm down with those wanting something a few hundred years in the future. You can have tiny nods, like I've always imagined the next generation of Jedi convening at a place called Skywalker Temple or something, but beyond stuff like that, blank slate to work with in the lore. You don't have to focus solely on the far past. That's interesting in its own right but far future works just as well. In fact I'd argue better because you can then play with a new Jedi Order and play with its institutions some so it doesn't have to be just like the old one was in their ways, which every trilogy pretty much pointed out in its own ways were very flawed.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I don't believe we will see an Episode X or whatever. I think the future of Star Wars will be in the past--the ancient past. The High Republic publishing initiative is setting the stage for turning back the clock in that galaxy far, far away, IMO. The High Republic is still set close enough to the Skywalker Saga (200 years before Episode I) where there can be a few tangible connections here and there, but I'm more inclined to think the next big era for Star Wars--at least as far as the big screen goes--could be in the early days of the Jedi Order, many thousands of years earlier where we can see where it all began, including possibly the invention of lightsabers and how the Sith started.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1