Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Peter Jackson bluray/dvd special features

Could it be argued that the Lord of the Rings/King Kong/Hobbit blu-ray sets are among the best as far as special features? I've watched all the features for LOTR and Hobbit and it took a while but well worth the time. I guess a good supplement to this would be the book Anything You Can Imagine which came out I think the end of 2018. But yeah totally in depth on every facet of how these movies came together, I think others pale in comparison. Fright Night's bluray also has pretty good special features too.

I have the Lord of the Rings DVDs. It had the best special features any film could get. It came with 4 discs set for each movie. The only DVD I had that was that cool was Spiderman 2002 , that had 3 discs.

I never got the Hobbit trilogy on DVD since I did not like the movies.

I have never sat down to watch King Kong from start to finish. I didn't get the DVD.

I'll agree with that. They have the most in-depth special features I've ever seen, outside of the Star Wars blu-rays.

This reminds me; the other day I was thinking about how during the heyday of DVD in the mid-2000s we were blessed with an enormous amount of special features on, like, every release! Even a terrible movie that no one saw would have a several hour making of documentary and 2 commentary tracks! I really love that, and some filmmakers really excelled with things like commentary tracks. Never miss an opportunity to listen to a Guillermo del Toro commentary! These days only the boutique home video labels are putting in that kind of effort.

You know what bothers me? When they don't even include the trailer as a special feature on a disc. It may seem like a small thing, but it's always interesting to see how they marketed a film, especially when viewing it years later.

Jackson had some pretty good DVD content on his stuff. The original Star Wars prequel DVDs are the only thing I can think of that rival or surpass them in that regard.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The Blade Runner Final Cut Box Set is hard to beat for special features.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    This reminds me; the other day I was thinking about how during the heyday of DVD in the mid-2000s we were blessed with an enormous amount of special features on, like, every release! Even a terrible movie that no one saw would have a several hour making of documentary and 2 commentary tracks! I really love that, and some filmmakers really excelled with things like commentary tracks. Never miss an opportunity to listen to a Guillermo del Toro commentary! These days only the boutique home video labels are putting in that kind of effort.

You know what bothers me? When they don't even include the trailer as a special feature on a disc. It may seem like a small thing, but it's always interesting to see how they marketed a film, especially when viewing it years later.
    While I loved that, I hated when they started splitting the dvds. Whereas once you would buy a DVD loaded with special features for $14.99, around the time Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was released on home video, you suddenly got a bare bones DVD for $14.99, and to get the 2-disc special edition with the features ended up being $19.99. And for someone who had very limited income back then, every dollar mattered.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I loved the original LotRs trilogy and I bought the extended edition box set. The special features were all very interesting. Casting, pre-production, post production and on Tolkien himself and the source material. They had some funny bits too. The cast seemed to have got along real well and had fun together and formed lasting lasting bonds, some of them are real comedians too.

Saw The Hobbit movies in theaters as well but never rented/bought the DVD's so I cant say anything in regards to the special feature.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Saw The Hobbit movies in theaters as well but never rented/bought the DVD's so I cant say anything in regards to the special feature.
    The home media releases were pretty comparable the LotR ones; the theatrical and extended versions had similar levels of content.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    The Blade Runner Final Cut Box Set is hard to beat for special features.
    Come to think of it, most of Ridley's big movies got some pretty stacked dvd/blu-ray releases.

The Alien Quadrilogy was about as packed with special features as LotR was.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The home media releases were pretty comparable the LotR ones; the theatrical and extended versions had similar levels of content.
    I'd say The Hobbit special features were pretty much the same level of quality as LOTR.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Come to think of it, most of Ridley's big movies got some pretty stacked dvd/blu-ray releases.

The Alien Quadrilogy was about as packed with special features as LotR was.
    I just wish Fincher would have gotten involved in some way. Not because there was really any ground left to cover, but he's just an insightful and interesting speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I'd say The Hobbit special features were pretty much the same level of quality as LOTR.
    Thought I said that. Agree if I failed to.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

No worries. I was just trying to piggy back on what you said in agreeing the special features on Hobbit were awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I am sure it was. The movies definitely weren't.