View Poll Results: Stars! Give it Stars!

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Five stars: This is my kinda WW story!

3 14.29%
  • Four stars: A nice diversion

4 19.05%
  • Three stars: If I'd never read this, I wouldn't be missing anything

5 23.81%
  • Two stars: Not the worst, but not acceptable, either

3 14.29%
  • One star: UGH!

6 28.57%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I had to give it one star, the absolute lowest I've ever given the title. It was a difficult issue to get through. Maxima seemed like a pale shadow of her former self and Ultraa...I don't even have words for his characterization. Very disappointing issue IMO.

Not really much to say about this issue. Art was OK, but never particularly interesting—and did it have the exact same frame on page 18 and 19? Dialogue was mostly infodumpy. I never got any feel for the characters or the world of Almerac.

I have two thoughts. The first is the use of the lasso. On one hand it's great to see it used more, but at the same time we never get to see any of its effects, we rather see Primaa and Maxima holding it. Also, when it's used on Ultraa it acts more like the old Magic Lasso than the current Lasso of Truth.

The other one relates to Steve and Diana. Orlando seems set to reunite Diana and Steve, which I'm all for. But the setup here seems to be Diana re-declaring her love for Steve, and then they're back together. To me, that would be a missed opportunity. Steve is in desperate need of some character development, and they both deserve having a great romance told about them.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Books like this are why the comic industry is on its deathbed. This exists only to push an agenda while retconning well-established characters to serve said agenda. Disgusting.
    Last edited by Scarlet Spider-Man; 03-26-2020 at 07:00 AM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Not one of Orlando's greatest, but not a bad story. The retcon didnt happen here, as this version of Maxima was established much earlier in Supergirl with the New52 reboot. I do like that Orlando is trying to build up Donna but hate that they aren't moving far enough away from the horrid Finch origin.
    The art was only bad and had some decent moments, but as someone else pointed out, occasionally dipped into cartoony.
    Looking forward to the Horsewomen story!

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    Books like this are why the comic industry is on its deathbed. This exists only to push an agenda while retconning well-established characters to serve said agenda. Disgusting.
    LOL I knew that some people's main beef with the issue would include "agenda" in it. How quickly people forget that comics have been "pushing agendas" and tackling social issues since FOREVER.
    But of course, some people have a problem with this issue's LGBT-friendly story, so...of course they are going to say "stop pushing agendas, comic books"...

Don't have a problem with an LGBT character, just have an issue that this Maxima happens to be an inferior version. I liked the New 52 in general but it wasn't perfect and de-aging Maxima to make her Supergirl's pal and removing the sometimes-ally sometimes-foe aspect from Superman was a mistake. And I had wished now that they're back to the old history, they'd have brought back the original Maxima.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    Wonder Woman! Promoting sapphic love since 1941!
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I enjioyed it. It gets at least one extra star from me for setting up, and solving, the main plot point in a single issue. Not terribly fond of the art, seems too manga to me. Making Maxima gay seems to be at odds from the characterization of the character when she was introduced; then again it seems like it's been years since she was used for anything.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Maxima has been ruined for me, long before this story was published. From conception, Maxima was Princess Ardala to Superman's Buck Rogers. And yes...making Maxima a lesbian makes absolutely no canonical sense and speaks to a complete disregard for the character, her context ..and her fans.

That aside, Maxima and Ultraa [Always hated his name.] are unrecognizable in this story.

U-uuhh...by the way, folks! The WW comic has its own Maxima, in Queen Desira, who is also dealing with a male oppression situation on her native Venus. Before someone says, "But, Maxima is more widely known, by fans!", understand that didn't happen, by itself. How are WW characters, like Desira, ever to be developed, as Maxima has been, ..if the WW editors don't ever require writers to use them?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-26-2020 at 04:27 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I kind of have to agree about making Maxima a Lesbian, but better her than Diana. Not that I'm against Lesbian superheroes or that I didn't enjoy the story, it's just with Maxima it doesn't make a lot of sense because initially she was so hot for Superman to the point it was almost comical.

Ok i'm Soooooooooooooooooo Done with this book.i tried and i tried.but i can't do this anymore i don't know what's going on in DC but after this right here as the Scarlet Witch said No More Wonder Woman for me.she's my FAVORITE DC CHARACTER.so till another reboot or whatever i'm Done.how do we keep going back and fourth 1st why are they using the 52 Maxima and Ultraa 2nd wasn't this story done already in the 52 Supergirl.3rd i thought that Doomsday Clock was suppose to clear up the New 52/Rebirth crap so why are we seeing flashbacks of Diana and 52 Kal el and still using that NON SENSE of an ORIGIN for Donna.well now i'm down to Justice League/Young Justice and The Outsiders.DC get YAL stuff together please.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Actually, I think Maxima being a lesbian could make sense with her past continuity. Yes, she seemed obsessed with Superman but after it was clear he would never be with her, she turned her attention to other alpha males such as Aquaman and Captain Atom. That could be because she NEEDED a prominent male figure to marry in order to cement her rulership over Almarac. The biggest change to Maxima that bothers me is her meek personality compared to her previous proud, rash, competent Pre-New 52 self. Also - does she still have her telepathic or telekinetic powers?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I kind of have to agree about making Maxima a Lesbian, but better her than Diana. Not that I'm ahainst Lesbian superheroes or that I didn't enjoy the story, it's just with Maxima it doesn't make a lot of sense because initially she was so hot for Superman to the point it was almost comical.
    I'm not against LGBTQA superheroes, either.

Again, it's the Buck/Ardala story, all over again. Maxima has been genetically designed to seek out the most physically perfect male being in the universe to wed and breed with. Relatively speaking, ..that's Superman. Of all the female characters a writer could make gay, ..Maxima the Space Lesbian doesn't make any sense.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-26-2020 at 04:38 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Incredible Member

Um, I know this issue forgot to acknowledge or bring her up at all, but I am the only person to remember that in Rebirth New 52 Maxima was retconned to be a separate character from the original Maxima?
    6059214-8437402496-042_0.jpg

From what I can gather, last we saw of original Maxima, New 52 Maxima had her imprisoned at the crucible academy, so I guess she's still locked up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    Um, I know this issue forgot to acknowledge or bring her up at all, but I am the only person to remember that in Rebirth New 52 Maxima was retconned to be a separate character from the original Maxima?
    6059214-8437402496-042_0.jpg

From what I can gather, last we saw of original Maxima, New 52 Maxima had her imprisoned at the crucible academy, so I guess she's still locked up there.
    Okay all bets are off, that explains a lot, thank you!