View Poll Results: Stars! Give it Stars!

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Five stars: This is my kinda WW story!

    3 14.29%
  • Four stars: A nice diversion

    4 19.05%
  • Three stars: If I'd never read this, I wouldn't be missing anything

    5 23.81%
  • Two stars: Not the worst, but not acceptable, either

    3 14.29%
  • One star: UGH!

    6 28.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43
  1. #1
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    619

    Default Wonder Woman #754 (spoilers)

    This was...sweet, but slight. And let me be clear - I am not put off by stand alone issues. I *like* stand alone issues, and they don't have to be slight.

    I very much like the vibe of the issue - Diana's general confidence, teamwork, and romance are all great - but it's never clear why or what kind of threat Ultraa really is, beyond sexism and homophobia, and unless I'm mis-remembering, isn't Maxima...powerful? She doesn't really do much. it's a feel-good issue, but there's not too much in the way of character here.

    I do find it an interesting...choice...that DC is sticking with Finch's origin story for Donna. It's an origin story I hate, and I was hoping they'd quietly make it go away, but I guess we're at least stuck with it until 5G (if 5G actually happens?). I missed all the Deathbringer stuff, so maybe DC had already doubled-down on that origin, but I wish Orlando could ignore it - I don't know if he had the choice to or not.


    I like that the four horsewomen stuff is unfolding bit by bit, much like Conway's Prime Planner/Cobra story oh-so-long-ago. I just wish the interim stories had more weight to them. Same vibe, same capable Diana, just more heft to the story.
    Last edited by Frank; 03-26-2020 at 07:59 AM.

  2. #2
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    This was...sweet, but slight. And let me be clear - I am not put off by stand alone issues. I *like* stand alone issues, and they don't have to be slight.

    I very much like the vibe of the issue - Diana's general confidence, teamwork, and romance are all great - spoilers:
    but it's never clear why or what kind of threat Ultraa really is, beyond sexism and homophobia, and unless I'm mis-remembering, isn't Maxima...powerful? She doesn't really do much.
    end of spoilers it's a feel-good issue, but there's not too much in the way of character here.

    I do find it an interesting...choice...that DC is spoilers:
    sticking with Finch's origin story for Donna. It's an origin story I hate, and I was hoping they'd quietly make it go away, but I guess we're at least stuck with it until 5G (if 5G actually happens?). I missed all the Deathbringer stuff, so maybe DC had already doubled-down on that origin,
    end of spoilers but I wish Orlando could ignore it - I don't know if he had the choice to or not.


    I like that the four horsewomen stuff is unfolding bit by bit, much like Conway's Prime Planner/Cobra story oh-so-long-ago. I just wish the interim stories had more weight to them. Same vibe, same capable Diana, just more heft to the story.
    Um, I guess this is because Diamond lifted the release date restrictions. Could you explain in detail how and how much they're keeping "it" and how "it" squares with Diana's flashbacks training Donna from just two issues ago?

  3. #3
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Ok. I've read the issue now my thoughts

    spoilers:
    Donna returns to her apartment after having been cured of her Infection in Hell Arisen #4(don't ask how this is suppose to work with timeline.) She notices Diana has been trying to contact her via her own magic sphere she has.

    In regards to Donna and her origin. Donna has a flashback to Diana talking to a young Donna on Themyscira. Diana tells Donna that she was created to destroy the amazons and they hid that from her, but it's framed as more a caring sisterly talk. Diana isn't antagonistic as she was in titans with Donna. And they obviously didn't brainwash an adult Donna or the other Titans into thinking she was their friend as you may have gotten an impression of from that annual.
    While I would have preferred Donna to simply have been returned to her classic origin, I'm still willing to give Orlando a chance and see what the full story is. While he is using an element of it, it isn't the the full Finch Origin. I've thought of the possibility that they may utilize the Heinberg Post infinite crisis origin, while adapting Magala's motives for creating Donna to be more sinister. Regardless I still get the feeling that by the end of this Diana and Donna will have reconciled and have a good sisterly relationship.

    I'm get the feeling Orlando is doing an exploration of a nature vs nurture thing here in regards to Donna and Helen. I'm willing to see how he executes it.

    Also update on the Four Horse women and Genocide. The Island was located in Tyrrenian Sea. The Island is not Identified as Thalarion, but Genocide's guards are refered to as Gargareans. They don't seem to be as alive as Simone's were. No lines, and Helen refers to them as "Braindead" and and "Undead". Achilles does not appear. Genocide was imprisoned in a tomb with broken bust of Diana on it and Warmaster revives Genocide with some of her blood.

    The Ameraac plot, there's not much to say Diana and Maxima meet up with Maxima's lover who has an Absorbascon with the truth of Almeraacs founders, they crash Ultraa's coronation, and Maxima and her lover get married. No mention of the older Maxima at all either.
    end of spoilers

    Some disappointments aside I'm still really engaged with the book. It's sad to think things might be going on hiatus for an indefinite period of time with all the shutdowns and quarantines from the Coronavirus going on. We'll have to see what DC decides to do about digital distribution during this uncerain time.
    Last edited by Artemisfanboy; 03-25-2020 at 01:27 AM.

  4. #4
    Fantastic Member Psy-lock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Ugh, DC just won't let go of the worst origin for Donna Troy.

  5. #5
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Ugh, DC just won't let go of the worst origin for Donna Troy.
    Now strictly speaking they've ditched just everything about the finch origin, except the idea that somebody(we don't know who) "created"(We dont know if this mirror clone, Finch golem, or maybe just the the Titans of Myth making Donna a Titan Seed) Donna with the intent of her to destroy the amazons. New 52 Themyscira is gone, Donna being created as an adult is gone. So it's not the New 52 origin.

    We have Diana mentoring a young Donna on Themyscira (this comes from Diana's own memories two issues ago which don't contradict Donna's here) and having a sisterly relationship with her. It seems like Diana and the Amazons hiding information from young Donna was more of a "we waited until you were older and ready to told" type thing.

    I'm thinking maybe we have a alteration on the Titans of Myth and the Titan Seed thing with more of active plan against the Olympians and the Amazons that Diana foiled and saved a young Donna from as another possibility?

    I'm waiting to see what Orlando does here. But yeah slightly disappointed right now.

  6. #6
    Fantastic Member Psy-lock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    Now strictly speaking they've ditched just everything about the finch origin, except the idea that somebody(we don't know who) "created"(We dont know if this mirror clone, Finch golem, or maybe just the the Titans of Myth making Donna a Titan Seed) Donna with the intent of her to destroy the amazons. New 52 Themyscira is gone, Donna being created as an adult is gone. So it's not the New 52 origin.
    No matter which route he goes, it's pretty much the same origin as Devastation. That's just lazy.

  7. #7
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    No matter which route he goes, it's pretty much the same origin as Devastation. That's just lazy.
    Hey, given we have Devastation the story, maybe it'll be called out and linked. So maybe Donna was their first attempt, and Devastation was a second try.

  8. #8
    Fantastic Member Psy-lock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    Hey, given we have Devastation the story, maybe it'll be called out and linked. So maybe Donna was their first attempt, and Devastation was a second try.
    Maybe. You're probably right that Orlando is going with the nature vs nurture theme. It's just...Do we really need two characters in the Wonderverse with the exact same origin? And Genocide is also a very similar concept.

  9. #9
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,434

    Default

    I gave it 4 stars. The art was quite rough on some pages(too cartoony & jagged for my taste). The story was good but what happened to Maxima's telekinetic powers? My favorite portion again was the parts with Paula and her Horsemen. The interlude with Donna Troy was mixed to me. I'm disappointed to see that they're keeping her New 52 origin but at the same time, Orlando is moving past it with his subplot for Donna.
    Currently Reading:Hawkman, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Legion of Super Heroes, Shazam, Wonder Woman, & Young Justice.

  10. #10
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I gave it 4 stars. The art was quite rough on some pages(too cartoony & jagged for my taste). The story was good but what happened to Maxima's telekinetic powers? My favorite portion again was the parts with Paula and her Horsemen. The interlude with Donna Troy was mixed to me. I'm disappointed to see that they're keeping her New 52 origin but at the same time, Orlando is moving past it with his subplot for Donna.
    I'd say it's unfair at this point to say they're "keeping" the New 52 Origin. They've discarded most of it. Orlando is keeping one element of it, but the context surrounding that one element seems to be entirely different. So far, I think we'll have a serviceable origin where Donna is rescued by Diana and raised as her sister, but instead of being rescued from a fire, Diana will have rescued Donna from whoever created and intended to use her.

    I wonder if this is primarily meant to be an explanation for how/why Diana has powers on Diana's level above those of normal Amazons.

    I would prefer Donna to simply be an orphan from Man's World rescued from a fire. But at this point I don't feel there's a reason to be too discouraged or alarmed by what Orlando is doing.

  11. #11
    Incredible Member NYCER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    936

    Default

    Why spoilers:
    did this issue have a panel that looks like it was lifted straight out of SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN from The New 52
    end of spoilers???

  12. #12
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,067

    Default

    I take it they're incorporating its existence back into canon. Could be part of the "everything happened" mindset, a part of the 5G initiative that could very well still be on. At the very least, it appears that's the mindset Orlando was operating on when writing this issue.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  13. #13

    Default

    I wonder, has Superman: Reborn not affected the on Wonder Woman? I think, that the relationship became invalid in her comic, too, after Superman: Reborn. Or she has memories, that were before the event?! Just like Rebirth Superman has memories before and during Superman: Reborn.

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    I'd say it's unfair at this point to say they're "keeping" the New 52 Origin. They've discarded most of it. Orlando is keeping one element of it, but the context surrounding that one element seems to be entirely different. So far, I think we'll have a serviceable origin where Donna is rescued by Diana and raised as her sister, but instead of being rescued from a fire, Diana will have rescued Donna from whoever created and intended to use her.

    I wonder if this is primarily meant to be an explanation for how/why Diana has powers on Diana's level above those of normal Amazons.

    I would prefer Donna to simply be an orphan from Man's World rescued from a fire. But at this point I don't feel there's a reason to be too discouraged or alarmed by what Orlando is doing.

    You make a good point and I like your idea about why Donna has powers above those of normal Amazons!
    Currently Reading:Hawkman, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Legion of Super Heroes, Shazam, Wonder Woman, & Young Justice.

  15. #15
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,734

    Default

    Why all the spoiler boxes (I can't read on my phone) in a thread that clearly says "spoilers"?

    I thought the issue was very romantic, less so for Maxima than Diana. Hopefully this was the pep talk she needed to go and get her man. I love Steve and Diana in love, it shows another aspect of our princess.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 03-25-2020 at 05:48 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •