Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Eiichiro Oda's One Piece Appreciation 2020

-SPOILERS AHOY!-

Just preaching the word of the man, the myth, the legend, THE GOD HIMSELF, Eiichiro Oda and his opus; One Piece! Yes, it's incredibly long (900+ episodes and chapters) but it's possibly the greatest feat of consistent and masterful worldbuilding in contemporary graphic literature, period. AND YOU CAN @ ME ON THAT! New and wanna start? you can ask anything! if you have already read, Who are your favorite characters? favorite Devil Fruit? most hated arc? most hated character? favorite mystery? favorite theory? whatever! whether you're up to date, fell off, or just curious, let's discuss ONE PIECE!

East Blue Saga
    1-1. Romance Dawn Arc (Manga Chapters 1-7)
    1-2. Orange Town Arc (Manga Chapters 8-21)
    1-3. Syrup Village Arc (Manga Chapters 22-41)
    1-4. Baratie Arc (Manga Chapters 42-68)
    1-5. Arlong Park Arc (Manga Chapters 69-95)
    1-6. Loguetown Arc (Manga Chapters 96-100)

Alabasta Saga
    2-1. Reverse Mountain Arc (Manga Chapters 101-105)
    2-2. Whiskey Peak Arc (Manga Chapters 106-114)
    2-3. Little Garden Arc (Manga Chapters 115-129)
    2-4. Drum Island Arc (Manga Chapters 130-154)
    2-5. Alabasta Arc (Manga Chapters 130-154)

Sky Island Saga
    3-1. Jaya Arc (Manga Chapters 218-236)
    3-2. Skypiea Arc (Manga Chapters 237-302)

Water 7 Saga
    4-1. Long Ring Long Land Arc (Manga Chapters 303-321)
    4-2. Water Seven Arc (Manga Chapters 322-374)
    4-3. Enies Lobby Arc (Manga Chapters 375-430)
    4-4. Post-Enies Lobby Arc (Manga Chapters 431-441)

Thriller Bark Saga
    5-1. Thriller Bark Arc (Manga Chapters 442-489)

Summit War Saga
    6-1. Sabaody Archipelago Arc (Manga Chapters 490-513)
    6-2. Amazon Lily Arc (Manga Chapters 514-524)
    6-3. Impel Down Arc (Manga Chapters 525-549)
    6-4. Marineford Arc (Manga Chapters 550-580)
    6-5. Post-War Arc (Manga Chapters 581-597)

Fishman Island Saga
    7-1. Return to Sabaody Arc (Manga Chapters 598-602)
    7-2. Fishman Island Arc (Manga Chapters 603-653)

Dressrosa Saga
    8-1. Punk Hazard Arc (Manga Chapters 654-699)
    8-2. Dressrosa Arc (Manga Chapters 700-801)

Yonko Saga
    9-1. Zou Arc (Manga Chapters 802-824)
    9-2. Whole Cake Island Arc (Manga Chapters 825-902)
    9-3. Reverie Arc (Manga Chapters 903-908
    9-4. Wano Country Arc (Manga Chapters 909- )

---

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

Ohh, that's a lots of questions. Let's see.

Favourite characters: Just of the top of my head, Luffy, Zoro, Law, Nico Robin, Mihawk, Whitebeard and Aokiji/Kuzan.

Favourite devil fruit: I like the ones that are a bit more esoteric, like Law's ope ope no mi and Doflamingo's ito ito no mi. But Oda can make just about any power cool and fun to behold, no matter how weird it is.

Most hated arc: ...hmm, I like most of them and I don't really hate any of them. The one I like the least though it probably the Whole Cake Island arc. It has good elements and some cool new characters, but it felt like a chaotic mess most of the time and I never really like the aesthetics of the area. So yeah, Whole Cake Island is the arc I like the least.

Most hated character. Caribou sucks. That's all he's ever done. I don't get why he's still around. There's nothing charming, endearing, funny or cool about this character. He's a waste of space and screentime.

Favourite mystery: Who the frick is Luffy's mother? I really hope she's some badass lady on par with Dragon or Big Mom, but she's just staying out of all the nonsense so the marines have no idea she even exists while she's just travelling the seas at her own leisure.

I'm not actually that familiar with a lot of theories for the series. So I don't have any ones I particularly like.

But yeah, I love this series. Have since the manga got published in Sweden, or at least from volume 9 and onward. That's when it really seared itself into my heart and mind. And I'm all for attempting another discussion thread for it.

I started reading One Piece in my teenage years but fell off in college. I just started to hate shonen anime and some of its more tiresome tropes. Ironically that's when I started getting into Marvel/DC and American comics.

I actually got caught up recently and refound my love for it. If Netflix had the anime I'd rewatch here and there. I actually got a new appreciation for Luffy when I got caught up and Sanji's Germa 66 stuff was masterful.

Right now I'd say my favorites are Law and Sabo but I have a soft spot for Usopp. Forget Naruto and Sasuke, Luffy and Ussop's fight in Water 7 broke me. A lot of shonens are about friendship but One Piece is the best at it. It could teach Kingdom Hearts a thing or two.

I really don't have a hated arc but a few of them could be shorter. The 100+ issue arc can be tiresome an why my apathy for shonen anime started to form.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-02-2020 at 05:30 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

My favorite manga of all time, been hooked since 2009.

Marco is back baby!! i'm too excited to see my boy in action. how are you guy's feeling about the latest chapter?

also if you were building a crew, no less than 5 (6 including you) and no more than 10 (11 including you), who would you recruit? no Yonkos and no active Marines
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Extraordinary Member

The scope of the current battle constantly catches me off-guard. There are so many established names running around that it's daunting to imagine all of them getting play a vital part in this whole shebang.

I'm glad Marco's back and I hope that he gets to show off a little more than at Marineford, considering how the series has built him up now.

But my favourite part of the chapter is Luffy and Kid interacting. They're just stupid fun rivals together.

Do you guys think One Piece will end on its 30th anniversary? Part of me is saying that we're relatively close to the end and then there's another part that easily thinks the manga could go on for another 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Do you guys think One Piece will end on its 30th anniversary? Part of me is saying that we're relatively close to the end and then there's another part that easily thinks the manga could go on for another 10 years.
    will it end right on the anniversary? I'm not sure, but we are definitely heading toward the Endgame now and I feel once Wano is over we'll be definitively in endgame territory. I don't see it going another whole 10 years, maybe 10 as a distant estimate, but I'm feeling more like it's to 5-7 years left till The End; closer to 5 than 7 imo.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-26-2020 at 12:55 AM.

currently following:

I really enjoy one piece. It is quite good, really.

Extraordinary Member

So Kaido did something really big in the new chapter

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    So Kaido did something really big in the new chapter
    it's a pretty big feat but this was definitely Zoro's chapter. I'm also still so happy to see Marco around kicking it! We're itching closer to the big battles!

side:
    I've noticed this debate in the One Piece reddit, who do you think are more likely to join the crew Momo and/or Carrot or Yamato?

i've noticed most people agree Carrot will probably join permanently but it seems like the people who think Yamato will join strongly are against Momo joining. personally, I don't see Yamato joining the crew. it doesn't make any sense to me. people think she'll join because she asked and because she's "Oden" and actual Oden joined Roger's crew for a time. Luffy mirrors Rogers' journey, sure, but he isn't a copy-paste of his journey, and Yamato doesn't have a real reason or connection to the actual crew that it would make sense. what role would she fill? Carrot could be lookout, and Momo would be an apprentice, but Yamato doesn't have a role beyond "Fighter" and Luffy has more than enough commander level fighters; especially with Jimbei finally linking up.

currently following:

Extraordinary Member

I don't see Momo joining at all, he has responsibilities in Wano. Carrot I would want to join more, but Yamato I see as more likely

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    it's a pretty big feat but this was definitely Zoro's chapter. I'm also still so happy to see Marco around kicking it! We're itching closer to the big battles!

side:
    I've noticed this debate in the One Piece reddit, who do you think are more likely to join the crew Momo and/or Carrot or Yamato?

i've noticed most people agree Carrot will probably join permanently but it seems like the people who think Yamato will join strongly are against Momo joining. personally, I don't see Yamato joining the crew. it doesn't make any sense to me. people think she'll join because she asked and because she's "Oden" and actual Oden joined Roger's crew for a time. Luffy mirrors Rogers' journey, sure, but he isn't a copy-paste of his journey, and Yamato doesn't have a real reason or connection to the actual crew that it would make sense. what role would she fill? Carrot could be lookout, and Momo would be an apprentice, but Yamato doesn't have a role beyond "Fighter" and Luffy has more than enough commander level fighters; especially with Jimbei finally linking up.
    Luffy's crew could do with an Isidro-like character, and someone like Momo would fit the bill.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

side:

Momo has to stay in Wano and be the country's new leader. This whole fight is currently to put him in that position, he going off to have adventures would be weird. He also hasn't expressed any desire to go with Luffy or the Strawhats after this. So big no for Momo I'd say.

Carrot is fun but she's been a bit too much of a bit player in all the arcs she's been in. Like, she's had her scenes and pulled her weight. But isn't that important in the grand scheme of things and we haven't gone deep enough into her story and character for it to make narrative sense to join the crew.

Yamato is the most likely of those three I think. While Luffy's crew isn't a mirror to Rogers, just the fact that Oden hooked up with the pirate king's crew might make Yamato want to do the same, to get the same experience. It would also be cool to have a female heavy hitting fighter on the crew (I know she lables herself as male currently, but I think that's more because she wants to be Oden and Oden was a man so she also needs to be a man, rather than generally prefering to be seen as a man, if I turn out to be wrong once the arc is over I'll take that back). Though I honestly think that Yamato will more likely stay as a body guard for Momo.

BANNED

Oricon's Yearly Individual Volume Sales Ranking

1. Kimetsu no Yaiba 18 - 4.393.137

2. Kimetsu no Yaiba 19 - 4.243.312

3. Kimetsu no Yaiba 01 - 3.703.309

4. Kimetsu no Yaiba 08 - 3.645.580

5. Kimetsu no Yaiba 07 - 3.636.822

6. Kimetsu no Yaiba 09 - 3.622.257

7. Kimetsu no Yaiba 11 - 3.616.800

8. Kimetsu no Yaiba 02 - 3.613.001

9. Kimetsu no Yaiba 10 - 3.609.676

10. Kimetsu no Yaiba 12 - 3.606.418

11. Kimetsu no Yaiba 14 - 3.588.193

12. Kimetsu no Yaiba 03 - 3.584.243

13. Kimetsu no Yaiba 13 - 3.580.286

14. Kimetsu no Yaiba 15 - 3.554.931

15. Kimetsu no Yaiba 04 - 3.551.955

16. Kimetsu no Yaiba 06 - 3.546.800

17. Kimetsu no Yaiba 05 - 3.546.548

18. Kimetsu no Yaiba 16 - 3.510.596

19. Kimetsu no Yaiba 17 - 3.469.660

20. Kimetsu no Yaiba 22 - 3.105.812

21. Kimetsu no Yaiba 20 - 2.759.462

23. Kimetsu no Yaiba 21 - 2.654.558

24. ONE PIECE 95 - 2.054.642

25. ONE PIECE 96 - 1.898.453

26. ONE PIECE 97 - 1.806.133

27. Kimetsu no Yaiba 20 SE - 1.637.005

28. Kimetsu no Yaiba 21 SE - 1.629.582

29. SPYxFAMILY 3 - 1.063.724

30. Attack on Titan 30 - 1.021.684

31. SPYxFAMILY 4 - 977.058

32. Kimetsu no Yaiba 22 SE - 935.504

33. Kingdom 56 - 885.702

34. Kimetsu no Yaiba Fanbook - 881.092

35. Attack on Titan 31 - 879.704

36. SPYxFAMILY 5 - 875.646

37. Kingdom 57 - 873.163

38. Kingdom 58 - 844.892

39. SPYxFAMILY 1 - 819.510

40. SPYxFAMILY 2 - 805.651

41. Attack on Titan 32 - 802.490

42. The Promised Neverland 17 - 801.284

43. Kingdom 59 - 800.494

44. My Hero Academia 25 - 759.831

45. 5toubun no Hanayome 13 - 746.771

46. The Promised Neverland 18 - 716.135

47. The Promised Neverland 19 - 696.352

48. My Hero Academia 26 - 679.750

49. Haikyu!! 41 - 662.590

50. My Hero Academia 27 - 654.848

51. The Promised Neverland 20 - 647.954

It seems that because of COVID, the 4th volume of One Piece is not released and made One Piece stayed in the third place of year-end sales with Kimetsu and Kingdom in both number 1 and 2.
    Last edited by Laufeyson; 11-30-2020 at 07:07 AM.