Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Lady Lorna has left the building. The shaaaade. I live.

LOL...she looks annoyed by him

Rachel must've bailed on her

Ultimate Member

Have they actually said whether she's reacting to what Alex is doing or perhaps that the Jamie dupe passed out or that she's just bored...just saying that it's possible that she's annoyed by whatever Alex is laughing at however it's also possible that some fans are wanting that to be what she's doing more than anything else...

Quote Originally Posted by Gamall View Post
    Still a mortal human thou, oh well, a mutant.
    She’s not mortal but I guess that’s cheating since no mutant is mortal rn

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    She’s not mortal but I guess that’s cheating since no mutant is mortal rn
    Don't want to bud into the conversation (as it's a completely separate topic), but I see the X-men characterized as immortal when they are technically still mortal. Immortal would place the assumption that they cannot age or die in any way. Considering that they need to be resurrected (brought back from death) they aren't technically immortal.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 03-29-2020 at 04:03 PM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Don't want to bud into the conversation (as it's a completely separate topic), but I see the X-men characterized as immortal when they are technically still mortal. Immortal would place the assumption that they cannot age or die in any way. Considering that they need to be resurrected (brought back from death) they aren't technically immortal.
    Immortal beings can still die....

If said being can die, then they technically arent immortal

Once something dies, it's not immortal anymore, hence the definition of the word. Outside of a method to bring them back, nothing has changed. Therefore not technically immortal.
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia

There are living organisms on Earth right now that are immortal because they can age forever, but that doesn’t exempt them from dying from other means. There are different types of immortality and the mutants, as of now, fit the definition. Especially when the whole point of defining mortality is that death is the very end for you... whereas it isn’t for mutants.

There are living organisms on Earth right now that are immortal because they can age forever, but that doesn’t exempt them from dying from other means. There are different types of immortality and the mutants, as of now, fit the definition. Especially when the whole point of defining mortality is that death is the very end for you... whereas it isn’t for mutants.
    In terms of the organisms on Earth that are "immortal", they are given that term mainly because of their means to prevent death. It's still acknowledged that something can eat or destroy them, presenting the reality that they aren't actually immortal. As far as I know, immortality only has one definition and that's to: live forever. Dying and coming back isn't immortality. Therefore any form of death exempts something from being considered immortal. It seems the X-men instead fit the description of "somewhat immortal". Without the resurrection protocols, they stay dead.

I could be be wrong, considering this is fiction, and there is another definition of immortal out there which you allude to. I'd actually like to know what these are.
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia

I could be be wrong, considering this is fiction, and there is another definition of immortal out there which you allude to. I'd actually like to know what these are.
    https://factpile.fandom.com/wiki/Immortality

Well, this does seem like a general set of definitions for "immortality" in fiction. Number 9 seems closest, but is very general. The premise there seems to allude resurrection of one's self however. It kind of fits but also seems slightly out of place compared to the others listed. So I guess the X-men have "temporary immortality" if we are to agree to disagree. I'm not that big on trusting fan sites honestly and the definition of immortality the site gives and the definitions of the types all seem to have inconsistencies. Then again Marvel's own definitions would be similar.

At this point it is what it is, lol.
    -Spider-man

-Geralt of Rivia

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Well, this does seem like a general set of definitions for "immortality" in fiction. Number 9 seems closest, but is very general. The premise there seems to allude resurrection of one's self however. It kind of fits but also seems slightly out of place compared to the others listed. So I guess the X-men have "temporary immortality" if we are to agree to disagree. I'm not that big on trusting fan sites honestly and the definition of immortality the site gives and the definitions of the types all seem to have inconsistencies. Then again Marvel's own definitions would be similar.

At this point it is what it is, lol.
    I'm with you 100% TDSpace.
    I don't agree with the application of the word immortal as it pertains to Mutants but...enh! I can easily ignore the semantics and just stick to my understanding that "they can die...they can be resurrected".
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I am not disagreeing, just something there sparks a thought.

The concept of 'family' might seem like a very 'human' position to the mutants of Krakoa, the majority of whom perhaps have *human* parents (and perhaps siblings), some of whom might even have been kicked out of said families for being mutants. I'm intrigued by the notion of what mutant society might develop in the place of 'family,' since many, if not most, mutants, such as the Morlocks, for instance, don't exactly have fond memories of family gatherings or 'home.'
    People who went through difficult upbringings Don't necessarily reject the traditional family model as a result, sometimes it actually spur them to try and create a traditional family unit, just so they can give to others what they were denied or never received themselves: love, care, support.
    It happens all the time.
    I Don't necessarily think mutants would reject that traditional family format for that specific Reason of having been rejected or harmed by their families in the past. Not for that specific Reason alone at least.
    They are humans.
    They have the same basic needs than the sapiens in that department, and we can't deny that the family unit model can be a powerful support for the individuals when it plays its role.
    And by extension, the clans as well, in the extended family sense of the term.
    I think there would be room for both a traditional family/clan unit in their society AND Something new altogether, whether it'd be a chosen-family type or Something even more fluid.

True that. She was totally prepared to believe what was said about Scalphunter, but he also offered not a word in his own defense, which is also interesting. Did he not think anyone would believe him? Did he think he deserved whatever was coming his way? Does he literally not care very much, and perhaps think that whatever punishment they had in mind had to be more interesting than sitting on a beach, cleaning his guns, but never getting to use them, every single day?
    All valid questions and all possible explanations to him being seemingly tight-liped about what occured between him and the Morlocks.
    Doesn't change how Storm looked in the scene though, unfortunately. She's supposed to be someone with a strong sense of justice and fair in her treatment of others. It was the opposite of that here…

Wow, and those liberal firearms open carry laws on Krakoa! Fully automatic weapons? On the beach? In the hands of someone who murdered dozens of Morlocks not that terribly long ago? Yeesh.
    Free use and circulation of firearms regardless of the individuals' background, in a society fancying itself as "Superior" to the other societies in their world, now that would be meta, wouldn't it? If Hickman dared making Something out of it in his book, for now it's just a "funny" coincidence.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I wonder if Kyle will morph back to being Wildheart in this book.

Attachment 95005
    I think he doesn't want to, since he's rejecting the Department H pills (it was the pills that made him human, right?).