Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    Okay, since we are well past the spoiler free time:

It was interesting to me how much this underscored that Snyder (who wrote the story but not the actual script) remains committed to many of the themes he explored in DOTF. In this case, it's the idea of anonymity or unknown identity. The killer here is anonymous and holds firmly to his lack of identity just as the Joker does, seeing it as a source of power, just as evidently the Joker does. Batman punishes him by at least partially stripping away the anonymity, just as he wished to do with the Joker, or at least threatened to do whether he was capable of doing so or not. Ironically, of course, he strips the killer's anonymity away by deliberately associating him with the Joker, the other great anonymous (or "identity unknown") killer.

The setup for the Joker's return is obvious, from playing with the identity theme, to the actual reference to the Joker being missing and his absence being like the eye of a hurricane, to the actual use of his cell at Arkham, to the final reference of the orderly. The last reference (i.e. "won't the Joker be mad?" about Batman using his cell and his reputation in the way he did) underscores Snyder's reference to how, when the Joker reappears, it's all going to be about hatred. This may or may not signal Joker's presence in ENDGAME or Eternal, but the foreshadowing couldn't be more obvious if it were drawn in the blacker-than-black color that Dr. Leslie mentions.
    Interesting. I thought this was just a decent simple throw away issue without much hinting much of things to come. But it is nice to see the theme of Joker to continue

And that art was so awesome!
    Last edited by SpideyZERO; 08-13-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Astonishing Member

Joker's not a serial killer. Not that he doesn't kill a lot of people, but he's usually got more tangible motives for why, like "less henchmen = more money" or "you're not funny anymore". Writers immediately lose me when they treat Joker like a "serial killer clown". He's just not that. His motives aren't even that complicated; "Crime as performance art." He literally lives for the Infamy.

I did like that he haunted this issue a bit. It felt ominous, not that I think you know, Endgame is going to be a Joker story ... but writers usually choose titles with specific things in mind, and the word 'game' (and a bit of game theory in general) is Joker's whole gimmick.

The issue itself was quite nice. The art was really sharp, the coloring was bleak in a way, but not drab. It just felt calm and off-kilter, like many cities do at night - like it really reflected the kind of Poe-esque tendencies that Snyder really wallows in, so it didn't feel disconnected at all, writing and art felt really unified. Bruce was really on point. Sure, this issue was "a night out for Batman" with nearly zero Bruce, but it was also a really nice one-and-done detective story ... well no, "detective story" might not be the word for it since it's not a mystery. But a nice Bat-procedural. Between that and Detective lately I feel like I'm getting the kinds of Bat-stories I want ... that Seventies era, or Early Millennium era stuff.

Back to Bruce being on point - there was good fun to be had, too. FUN! Bruce deputizing that dog. The false Leslie ploy. Cracking a joke at Arkham, and the 'cruel, but funny' torture of Meek by putting him in the infamous Joker cell.

And it's still really nice to see Bullock taking over for Jim as liaison to Batman - seriously he's been around since the Seventies, he's earned periodic dips into the "bat-handler" role.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

All-New Member

Great issue. My hopes weren't high but wow was I surprised.

Random question though: what was up with the random panel of Batman placing his foot against the door when they were placing the killer in Joker's cell? I'm thinking it's supposed to mean something but can't figure it out.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Very cool issue. I really liked the "nameless killer that was beneath Batman's notice" angle. Very refreshing breather from the constant string of larger than life villains we have seen lately.

The art was really good. I hope DC can coax Scalera away from Black Science more often.

I am curious why Batman says the Joker is missing. I bet this is going to be a plot point in Eternal. Probably involving the Joker's Daughter forsaking her new "Daddy" and returning to her original obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    No, it's not.

And this issue is not set after Eternal. There's no indication of anything being different or contrary to present (during Eternal) continuity. One major point is that Arkham Asylum is still standing, there's no Arkham Manor just yet. Pretty sure Snyder just misspoke when he said this was after Eternal, or Newsarama misinterpreted something.
    Catwoman is referenced to be the Kingpin of crime, so this is most assuredly after the present in Eternal. The preview we got in Batman earlier this year, which featured Kingpin Catwoman, was referenced to take place some where in the 30's of Eternal. Additionally, Gordon is stated to have been "sentenced" to Blackgate for murder. From dictionary.com, "Sentence: an authoritative decision; a judicial judgment or decree, especially the judicial determination of the punishment to be inflicted on a convicted criminal." This means Gordon was found guilty of murder. Also, the Penguin is free and Bard destroyed the Bat signal.

However, Arkham Assylum is still around, so this comic must not take place after Eternal, just further along in Eternals run.

Quote Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
    Random question though: what was up with the random panel of Batman placing his foot against the door when they were placing the killer in Joker's cell? I'm thinking it's supposed to mean something but can't figure it out.
    I think he was pushing the cell door closed with his foot.

Astonishing Member

Interesting. We're not really sure where this issue falls, chronology-wise, yet. It's clearly in the midst of Eternal. And yet even though the GCPD has turned on Batman (again), Bullock's cool with him and it doesn't look all razor-wire martial law yet, so it must be BEFORE Batman # 28. However, Selina Kyle is the Queen of Crime, so it must be AFTER what, this most recent Eternal ... # 19. That's supposed to be happening in like October, right? It'll probably be pretty easy to figure out in hindsight.

Endgame is clearly the thing happening "After Eternal".
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    I think he was pushing the cell door closed with his foot.
    Yeah, my interpretation of that panel, was that the cell was never locked, but Batman wanted this guy to think he was going to spend time in the most famous cell in Arkham, and really screw up his anonymity.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

I thought this issue was fantastic, and makes me excited for Arkham Manor, because Duggan has a really good grasp of Batman and his world. Matteo Scalera's art was a joy to read in a Batman book, and I hope he has more time available to do more work in the line.

So, The Meek wasn't the Joker, but there were a lot of themes and nods to him in this issue. Until his hat flew off, I was still convinced he could be the Joker (against my better judgement). His chin, nose, and eye color were all red herrings, but it made for a real enjoyable story. Dr. Border is the obvious tie-in to Arkham Manor and seems he will be Bats' one ally when his house gets repossessed and becomes Arkham. Leslie was done well, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I wish she kept her same age as old continuity. Oh, and that last page; Very eerie.

Just an all around good issue from plotting, to writing, to art. I really hope Scalera has more opportunities to stretch his wings in Gotham. I'm not holding my breath, though. He seems pretty happy at Image.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 08-14-2014 at 12:43 PM.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Interesting. We're not really sure where this issue falls, chronology-wise, yet. It's clearly in the midst of Eternal. And yet even though the GCPD has turned on Batman (again), Bullock's cool with him and it doesn't look all razor-wire martial law yet, so it must be BEFORE Batman # 28. However, Selina Kyle is the Queen of Crime, so it must be AFTER what, this most recent Eternal ... # 19. That's supposed to be happening in like October, right? It'll probably be pretty easy to figure out in hindsight.

Endgame is clearly the thing happening "After Eternal".

Well, I just found a quote that Snyder gave to Newsarama claiming that this issue is, actually, after Eternal:

However, in August, Batman will jump "back to the future." Talking to Newsarama, Snyder clarified that:

- August's Batman #34 and all subsequent Batman issues will take place after the end of DC's current weekly series Batman Eternal. "We're jumping to the end of Eternal's continuity," Snyder explained about August's issue and subsequent stories. "Endgame takes place in the same continuity as #34. They both take place, basically, right after the end of Eternal."
    That raises problems, and maybe he was misquoted or misunderstood the question. But that is what was said.

Loved this issue! Very creepy cool.I'm a fan of Duggan (his Deadpool work is amazing) and had to see how he handled Bats..

I haven't been reading Eternal or Zero Year ( I'm more of a TPB guy) but I think I'm going to be picking up any Batman Gerry Duggan is on!

BANNED

Great issue. It was better than the entire Zero Year story. It was written well, had a great new idea, and wrapped itself up. Such a great read. Snyder knows how to not over-write a story, I wish he would do this more often.

Some notes:

No, this guy isn't the Joker. If you think he is, you have reading and story comprehension issues. The entire point of the book was that he is NOT the Joker or Two-Face or Bane or Mr. Freeze. He's a 'normal' serial killer. He just didn't think Batman would come after him unless he dressed up in a costume. Batman sticks him in the Joker's cell to make him infamous, the exact opposite of what he wanted.

That's the story. He's just a dude.
    Last edited by ReverseReverseFlash; 08-14-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseReverseFlash View Post
    Great issue. It was better than the entire Zero Year story. It was written well, had a great new idea, and wrapped itself up. Such a great read. Snyder knows how to not over-write a story, I wish he would do this more often.

Some notes:

No, this guy isn't the Joker. If you think he is, you have reading and story comprehension issues. The entire point of the book was that he is NOT the Joker or Two-Face or Bane or Mr. Freeze. He's a 'normal' serial killer. He just didn't think Batman would come after him unless he dressed up in a costume. Batman sticks him in the Joker's cell to make him infamous, the exact opposite of what he wanted.

That's the story. He's just a dude.

Oh, we're dumb for speculating and throwing what ifs out there. Good to know. If you noticed most of that speculation came from the preview before any context.

Also, good to know this comment is from someone who claims he doesn't attack people personally. Hahaha
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Man, that page with Batman and the bodies might be one of my all time favorites. It says so much with only one line of dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Man, that page with Batman and the bodies might be one of my all time favorites. It says so much with only one line of dialogue.

I agree, Bea. It was absolutely awesome and bone chilling. Although, I'm still not 100% sure of he wanted to stay to help identify the bodies, or if he wanted a reminder because he felt he didn't do enough to catch The Meek earlier in his career. I feel like I maybe leani g towards the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    I agree, Bea. It was absolutely awesome and bone chilling. Although, I'm still not 100% sure of he wanted to stay to help identify the bodies, or if he wanted a reminder because he felt he didn't do enough to catch The Meek earlier in his career. I feel like I maybe leani g towards the latter.
    I read it as both. Staying behind, bearing the sights and smells of decomposition, was punishment for letting himself get distracted and letting this guy slip through his fingers for so long, and reparation was identifying the bodies, giving them a name, or at least trying to. An act of penance if you will.
    Last edited by Kurisu; 08-15-2014 at 03:03 AM.