Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should Joker know or not know the Secret identities

Joker knows all the identies of the Batfam. Should or shouldn't have known?

Definitely should not know. Should not care, either.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

I don't think he should because he is a totally mad person, so in my opinion if he knew the true identities of all members of the Bat-family, he would use this knowledge to make their live an hell, just for fun, just because he can.

Let me guess: it is exactly what will happen.

It's hard to imagine him not knowing since there has been hints of it for awhile, at least as far back as DITF. I could go either way on whether he cares or not. It depends on how it's handled. It might for example feel pretty cheap if he goes all out then next time we see Joker he doesn't care again.

I always thought he knew but didn't care. And I think that's a good view. The "knowing your secret id" plot is played out.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

He shouldn't know, ideally. Secret identities should remain important, that's a key part of superhero comics.

But, DC's "he doesn't know/care unless he wants to know/care" (akin to Gordon's I-could-know-but-won't-let-my-mind-go-there) is not the worst consolation prize in this area.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-25-2020 at 04:57 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

It should not matter because he doesn't care either way

He shouldn't know. Villains like him knowing defeats the whole point of having a secret identity in the first place. It makes keeping them meaningless.

But things are so messed up these days it feels like more villains know Bruce is Batman than don't now, lol.

Astonishing Member

For this story, sure.

Generally no.

It's actually really hard lately for me to talk about what a characterization should be in a Canon that features no continuity and virtually no internal logic or story consistency. Which is always an uphill battle for comics, when even some creative teams can't pull it off in their own run of a single book with minimal crossover or cosmic editorial.

But playing devil's advocate for continuity at the moment, it's been somewhat clear that Joker already knows everybody's secret identities since at least Endgame. They toyed with it in Death of the Family, and lots of more clever or more traditionalist writers in the last 30 years have teased out pretty close to the line. But it's been pretty clear specifically since post-Forever Evil, and Joker's "return" ... erasure ... and re-return ... this has been the case.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I agree it's been the case - I just don't like it. I don't think it works, because it doesn't make sense in the long-term. He can't care sometimes and sometimes not to me, even if he is crazy. But I'm on record as preferring a less psycho Joker, too.

They now are having Joker using this aganist each of the Batfam. Starting with Babs

BANNED

He shouldn't know 'cause i don't like that lol he doesn't care yet he cripled Barbara. I don't like that... I want him to go after Barbara and Jim in The Killing Joke, not Batgirl. It's just a coinsidance that Barbara is also Batgirl in the case of cripling. Some even say rape, but i never thought Joker was sexually active untill they brought in Harley Quinn. He just took naked suffering pictures of Barbara 'cause it was funny to him, if you ask me.

Only Ra's Al Ghul should know that Batman is Bruce Wayne and doesn't reveale it to the world 'cause of somekind of honor code or whatever, he just doesn't reveale... lol a life time of getting punched by Batman damaged his brain or something... lol No other villain should know Bat Family's real identities.
    Last edited by Gurz; 03-26-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Spectacular Member

realistically he should know since Jason died the whole family remind joker who he murdered whenever they get their hands on him

Should know but shouldn’t care. Same with Gordon.

Incredible Member

I think for me it's very story and execution dependent. It's ambiguous in general so it can go either way, whether a writer wants to have a Joker that knows or doesn't know. There are some examples where Joker knowing makes the stakes feel higher, but generally they're out of universe:

BB: ROTJ
    Batman '89
    Telltale Batman
    White Knight

I personally don't care for the Snyder / Tynion's version of it