Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    but aren't you the one in denial tho?
    No. The person I'm arguing with thinks everything Hickman will permanently be safe from editorial retcons. This is comics, no comic book is safe from that. Look what they did to Morrison's run and he had power over editorial, as well. House of X isn't in a safe little pocket outside Marvel editorial's say so forever.

maybe I'm missing something because i didn't read y'all whole argument but from what I can gather, your whole point is that what Hickman is doing right now with Moira, the X-Men, and Krakoa might change because it's what Marvel does, but it's not like new things never stick at Marvel. so whether it may or may not get retconned later is a moot point because if it's big enough to grab eyeballs, sustainable, and overall successful enough it's just as likely to stay as it is to be retconned. [/quote]

Krakoa staying in the present won't stop it from being retconned when editorial feels like it, Hickman will move on eventually.

So, in essence, all you're doing at this point in time is putting your fingers in your ears to what they're doing and banking on it to changing one day; which sounds like active denial.
    I'm not "banking" on anything changing one day, this is inevitable. When did you two start reading comics?

I mean, people banked on the same thing over at DC with Johns and the Emotional Spectrum, all that stuff still exists to this day tho.
    You're not seeing my whole argument, I'm saying the future time line isn't concrete - not hat Krakoa won't impact the current setting. Which in itself is not concrete as Hickman has been setting up its fall from the start, don't count on things staying like this during his whole run.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Yep. The whole argument started in the literal denial of what Powers of X #6 explained as far as mutants being the next step in evolution and confirming how Moira’s powers work by constantly calling it an “alternate future.” But if they’re just gonna actively ignore what’s on the page, then there really isn’t any hope. Denial at its finest.
    If you think a page in a comic book is going to stop other writers and editors retconning things in the X-men in the future you've got another thing common. I'm not the one in denial. If what you're saying is true we'd still be having a Days of Future Past future. But carry on, clearly what I'm saying won't change your mind. I'm curious how you're going to react once Hickman leaves.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 03-28-2020 at 08:41 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I guess you do have to admire their optimism. Seems like the ink was barely dry on Morrison's X-Men when Claremont and Chuck Austen did the Xorn retcon. But I think I read somewhere that Morrison expected them to and really didn't care. Plus I think Hickman is up to something. Everything is running too smooth.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-29-2020 at 10:00 AM.

The only thing that is constant is change. ― Heraclitus
    Some things will stay, of course… probably, but each time a new writer seizes a concept, his vision is personal, new. So it's hard to predict what will stick and what will be revisit.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I guess you do have to admire their optimism. Seems like the ink was barely dry on Morrison's FF when Claremont and Chuck Austen did the Xorn retcon. But I think I read somewhere that Morrison expected them to and really didn't care. Plus I think Hickman is up to something. Everything is running too smooth.
    that was literally the one thing that was retconed because it was stupid, let's check out what sticked:
    genosha, cassandra nova, the shiar embittered, jean's death, emma and scott, the school as a larger institution of teaching, secundary mutations, the U-Men, quentin quire, the stepford sisters, the sentinel facility in equador, wild sentinels, beast's characterization as a more somber/sad fellow, that drug the name escapes me (its kick), Mutant culture as a concept.
    All of these lasted for YEARS and im probably missing a few
    Last edited by Ferro; 03-29-2020 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Yep. The whole argument started in the literal denial of what Powers of X #6 explained as far as mutants being the next step in evolution and confirming how Moira’s powers work by constantly calling it an “alternate future.” But if they’re just gonna actively ignore what’s on the page, then there really isn’t any hope. Denial at its finest.
    Mutants are the next step in evolution.

"But that could change!"

Sure, but they are the next step in evolution as written Right Now on the page.

"But that could change!"

Sure, but they are the next step in evolution as written on the page.

"But that could..."

I'm taking a nap.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    that was literally the one thing that was retconed because it was stupid, let's check out what sticked:
    genosha, cassandra nova, the shiar embittered, jean's death, emma and scott, the school as a larger institution of teaching, secundary mutations, the U-Men, quentin quire, the stepford sisters, the sentinel facility in equador, wild sentinels, beast's characterization as a more somber/sad fellow, that drug the name escapes me (its kick), Mutant culture as a concept.
    All of these lasted for YEARS and im probably missing a few
    Considering the fate of Genosha, I can't see how you can count that as permanent. As for Magneto, considering Grant Morrison's well known opinion of the character I think it is probably because like Alan Moore, he reveres the Lee/Kirby work. Probably Jack Kirby more so than Stan. Jack Kirby very deliberately drew these panels with Magneto's army of jackbooted Nazi soldiers that terrorizes a small South American country. He was probably drawing upon the original Magneto more so that Claremont's.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-29-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post

"But that could change!"

"But that could change!"

"But that could..."

I'm taking a nap.
    Mans was really grasping at that straw hard.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Astonishing Member

Well, there was a captain marvel future issue from like a month ago that didn’t have Moira’s future in it. So it’s already being treated as an alternate figure, no retconning needed. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Well, there was a captain marvel future issue from like a month ago that didn’t have Moira’s future in it. So it’s already being treated as an alternate figure, no retconning needed. *shrug*
    CM is an Avengers book and therefore falls outside the editorial direction of the X-books. It really doesnt matter anyway bc any book can have a story featuring an alternate future and it doesnt take away from this Moira plotline. T

"But that could change!"

"But that could change!"

"But that could..."

I'm taking a nap.
    Lichrully this to a T

Y’all need to read HOXPOX again slowly

BANNED

I dont wanna be rude, but that future is like 100 years into the future when carol returns, the future we speak about is 1 k years into the future

Astonishing Member

"But that could change!"

"But that could change!"

"But that could..."

I'm taking a nap.
    I didn't say "could," I said "would" - unless you think change doesn't occur in comic books. The X-men are more notable for their changes in their periods, go read Claremont or Kelly or or Morrison or Gillen and compare them to the comics now. They're not all identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    I didn't say "could," I said "would" - unless you think change doesn't occur in comic books. The X-men are more notable for their changes in their periods, go read Claremont or Kelly or or Morrison or Gillen and compare them to the comics now. They're not all identical.
    But that doesn't have anything to do with what Tycon was saying. The discussion was about current canon and how it stands between humanity and mutants.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

But that doesn't have anything to do with what Tycon was saying. The discussion was about current canon and how it stands between humanity and mutants.
    I haven't changed the subject, all I've been talking about why how canon is at the mercy of the creators writing the stories. Nothing is written in stone in comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    I dont wanna be rude, but that future is like 100 years into the future when carol returns, the future we speak about is 1 k years into the future
    It said that humans would be extinct within two to three generations, not 1k years in the future.