Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT View Post
    Gillen's Sinister is the best take on him in recent memory.
    Zeb's is a close second.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Does Sinister count as Cable's granddad?
    Cable's existence is the result of his machinations.
    Have we seen what does he think of adult Cable?

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    The answer is he does not count as that. At least I really don't think so.

It is true what you say but that would require the X-books to 1) Acknowledge Madelyne Pryor is the biological mother of Cable and not act like it's Jean all the time which they've been trying to do. 2) In general take more care about showing the reactions between characters with deep/complicated past connections, which they have largely been putting off thus far as well
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I don't know if he was just being cocky or serious.I know Sinister is incredibly smart and immortal(not like that matters on Krakoa) but to taunt Exodus is foolhardy me thinks. In a showdown my money would be on Exodus.
    Exodus could wreak Sinister but Sinister can easily outsmart him.

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT View Post
    Gillen's Sinister is the best take on him in recent memory.
    Best ever!!!!!

No. Sinister isnt Scott or Jean's father

All-New Member

Tim Curry Mr Sinister. I dig it!

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    No. Sinister isnt Scott or Jean's father
    Isn't he Madelyn's father in a way?

BANNED

"Are your epaulettes getting bigger? If you want to go down this road, I will be on your ass every step of the way."

Someone post his quote about having nothing for women lmao

Mr. Sinister is amusing but he's also become a joke character. I guess I was introduced to Sinister by the 90's cartoon and he first seemed intimidating but even as that series progressed he became more campy. I kind of liked him better when he had the sharp teeth and seemed more menacing. Now he's kind of gay coded and flamboyant and it comes across kind of problematic to me, but a lot of fans (at least online) seem to love it.

Well even if he's a joke character and uber amusing if they keep him threatening, manipulative, and strong/powerful in his own right then I guess it is all good. He should always be a bit of a wild card.

Technically during KG‘s run on Uncanny x-men sinister made himself a summers. And he created Maddie so they would have cable so yeah I would say he’s cables grandfather

Quote Originally Posted by MutantHipster View Post
    Tim Curry Mr Sinister. I dig it!
    How do you do I see you've met my faithful handyman He's just a little brought down because When you knocked He thought you were the candyman
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Mr. Sinister is amusing but he's also become a joke character. I guess I was introduced to Sinister by the 90's cartoon and he first seemed intimidating but even as that series progressed he became more campy. I kind of liked him better when he had the sharp teeth and seemed more menacing. Now he's kind of gay coded and flamboyant and it comes across kind of problematic to me, but a lot of fans (at least online) seem to love it.

Well even if he's a joke character and uber amusing if they keep him threatening, manipulative, and strong/powerful in his own right then I guess it is all good. He should always be a bit of a wild card.
    See, I couldn’t ever take Sinister seriously when he was written as a straight, serious villain. His inherent aesthetic was, accidentally or purposefully, way too camp for that. I can’t take a dude with a rhyming Name like that completely seriously. And there wasn’t much substance to him beyond that aesthetics.

Kieron Gillen less reinvented the character and more solved the puzzle of him. Subsequent writers have definitely pushed it up to eleven, certainly. But embracing the camp makes it a feature rather than a distraction.

If you go the other way, and try to take the camp out of Sinister — at that point you basically just have Dark Beast.

Astonishing Member

I think there's a difference between a joke character amd a character that makes jokes.

I think Hickman did a great job in detailing why Sinister is a threat despite his current demeanor. The man single handedly killed off the senior leadership of Krakoa and was responsible for its destruction before anybody knew what hit them.

His body language may seem lax and his attitude flamboyant but those are more disarming tactics than anything. Makes the people around him not take him seriously makes some lower their guard but that doesn't mean for a sec that he isnt planning the destruction of everyone around him. I mean the entire point of putting him on the quiet Council was it so Xavier and Magneto could keep an eye on him. He's that dangerous of a foe.

sinister scared the **** out of me as a kid. even with his ridiculous name lol.

at first I was taken aback by the gay-coding too but I got over that quick. his flamboyance almost makes him seem more unhinged and it adds a very intriguing layer to his history...I don't have the right words to unpack it right now but his obsession with the seemingly all-american ideal "chosen one"-archetype of the Summers-Greys feels more potent if you will. totally get how its somewhat regressive in terms of lgbt stereotyping but I'm willing to embrace it because of these layers it adds to his character in my mind and how he isn't any less complex because of it - if anything, he's more complex

in short I think I'm agreeing with you loll