Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Technically, we have seen the Empress and Firstborn already.

Some backstory: The Brood were introduced to the world by Claremont and Cockrum in 1982. Cockrum has said that he came up with the look on a whim, as the script from Claremont called for some alien henchmen for Deathbird, and Cockrum just drew the least pleasant thing he could think of at the time. From that illustrious beginning, the Brood were born. In 1988, a small number of them came to earth on a dying Starshark. They quickly infected several people, among them mutants whose powers they then gained and fought the X-Men again. One victim, though, wasn’t a mutant. Her name was Hannah Conover. She was the wife of a traveling, Billy Graham-ish minister, and after being infected with a queen egg, she began spreading the infection to others while posing as a ‘faith healer’. This was the last we saw of this particular infestation until 1997, in X-Men vs. Brood: Day of Wrath.

In most cases, Hannah and her nest would have just been another Infestation in the making, but something happened to the Queen who had been Hannah. Even though she was a queen, that Queen has absorbed all of Hannah when she took over. Including Hannah’s faith. She began to have doubts about infecting so many people who had come to her with faith and trust in a higher power. So her hive stopped spreading, she lived as a human instead of a glorious Queen, and her children began following her and her husband - who had NO IDEA that his faith healing wife was a Sleazoid! - as they traveled and acted like security and ushers and looked after the people coming to the Conover revivals without infecting anyone else, even refusing to ‘faith heal’ anymore, out of her shame and guilt...

In Day of Wrath, we learn all of this, and we learn that the Brood are led by the empress, an immensely powerful telepathic being linked to every Queen in the universe. Hannah’s heretical thoughts and behavior prompted the Empress to send her personal royal guard, the Firstborn, to Earth to deal with the problem before it got out of control. The arrival of the Firstborn brought the X-Men back into the orbit of Hannah Conover, and they discovered that this woman they had helped years before was a Queen. Some (Wolverine) wanted her dead, but others saw hope in her desire to be free-willed and her use of her spawn to HELP people instead of mindlessly spreading. They fought the Firstborn at the cost of all of Hannah’s children, and learned that the Empress would never stop sending Firstborn after her, so Iceman and Beast put her in stasis and secured her beneath the mansion in the hope that someday, she might birth the ‘heroic’ Brood of Bishop’s future.
    Oooooooh this is fascinating. Do you have issue numbers for this? I want to go and read it on Marvel Unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Oooooooh this is fascinating. Do you have issue numbers for this? I want to go and read it on Marvel Unlimited.
    Good idea! Your new avatar is pretty awesome, btw.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Good idea! Your new avatar is pretty awesome, btw.
    Thanks! I stole it from Facebook because my photoshop skills are non-existent eheh

Thanks! I stole it from Facebook eheheh
    Even more fashionable!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Btw, Hannah Conover first appearance is here https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_233 (and I feel dumb because I've read this one).

Then she appears here alongside the Firstborn and the Empress https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/X-Men_vs_Brood_Vol_1_1

The Brood are introduced in Uncanny X-Men 155-157 as henchmen of Deathbird.
    Then the classic Brood Saga takes place in Uncanny X-Men 162-167 (which also sees the introduction of Lockheed and Carol Danvers’ Binary form, as well as featuring some truly epic Storm feats!).
    Earthfall, the 1988 story that introduced Hannah Conover, was in Uncanny X-Men 232-234 (during the Outback years!)
    After that, the heretic Queen appeared next in X-Men vs Brood: Day of Wrath, which was a two part mini that introduced the Empress and Firstborn.

They’ve made other notable appearances in an early 90’s crossover Brood Trouble in the Big Easy, between the X-Men and Ghost Rider, which saw the Blue Team and Dan Ketch go to New Orleans, where the Brood were taking over the Assassins Guild. (X-Men 8-9, Ghost Rider 26-27).
    We learn how the Brood came to ally with Deathbird in The Untold Legend of Captain Marvel 1-3.
    Contest of Champions II saw them scheming to infect other heroes through Rogue, who was infected with a Queen for a time.
    The miniseries X-Men/Fantastic Four 1-5 saw the two teams unite to drive a Brood invasion away from Earth.
    Ms. Marvel 21-24 saw Carol face the Brood for the first time since their torturous experiments brought out her Binary form.

These are just a few favorite stories, but I’ve been wanting to see more of Hannah Conover since she went into stasis...and with the mansion being blowed up or burned down or moved to Limbo or Central Park, or abandoned and gifted to ANOTHER breed of insectile space aliens...And then you also have No-Name from Planet Hulk out there, as well!

I’m a Brood fan since WAY back, what can I say!
    Last edited by zinderel; 03-27-2020 at 11:45 AM.