Default The FATAL FIVE Thread:

Yeah they are the villains, love them, hate them, ...they now got their own thread!

First appearance Adventure Comics #352 (January, 1967)
    Created by Jim Shooter and Curt Swan

Emerald Empress
    Mano
    Persuader
    Tharok
    Validus

Last edited by Güicho; 03-26-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Last edited by Güicho; 03-26-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Still amazed that Shooter was a young teenager when he created so many amazing characters for LSH.

The Legion needed a group of villains (other than the Legion of Super Villains) to challenge them. And each member of the FF had their own unique power. I'm not sure who was writing the book when Tharok was killed off, but it was a big mistake IMO.

Saw the animated movie with them in it. Not my favorite villains, but the writing did a pretty good job of making them a credible threat without compromising the retro aspects of them.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

It's cool how they are kind of a Legion of Doom, in that any one of them is intended as a credible threat on their own. Even someone like Persuader supposedly ran him own crime ring / underworld syndicate, while Tharok, Emerald Empress and Validus are all either great masterminds / boss villains, or just flat-out world-breakers able to tank an entire team on their own (in Validus' case).

Which leaves Mano. Poor schmuck. Poorly written with an 'instant kill' power that he can never successfully use unless the writer is actually intending to *kill someone.* (Same with Persuader, to a lesser extent. Can't really show off how 'fatal' your Atomic Axe is if the writer never lets you hit anyone with it, and, as a fan of most any Legionnaire you'd be likely to be swinging it at, *I* don't want you to hit anyone, so you are stuck flailing away with a 'deadliest weapon' that is essentially useless...)

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I have loved some of the updated looks they have given the members over the years. The reboot versions of Mano with the "kirby crackle" around his head instead of the helmet always looked cool to me and the DnA version of Tharok with his more tech looking half was good too. On the other hand I HATED the nu52 version of Tharok as just a sentient computer program and not a real person anymore.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Still remember their first appearance during the silver age, It was really impressive For a silver age story. Also my first impression about them was from LOSH animated series, But after reading their stories through the comic books, I really feel they're an intimidating threat.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

I know only a little of the Fatal Five. What is the Emerald Empress' power? What is the emerald Eye of Ekron? What can it do?