Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Curse of the White Knight finale

I am enjoying the Murphy-verse for the crazy, twisty turny, thoughtful, playful and reference-filled thrill that it is, and I'm excited for the third series.

What did you think?

edit: Spoilers hereafter!
    Last edited by gregpersons; 03-26-2020 at 02:14 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    I am enjoying the Murphy-verse for the crazy, twisty turny, thoughtful, playful and reference-filled thrill that it is, and I'm excited for the third series.

What did you think?
    Really good, loved both series.
    I'm all for stories set in this universe but I worry about the Icarus Factor i.e. where the story gets too big and ends up being another Ultimate universe (we all know what happened there).
    While a Murphy-verse will be a welcome addition to comics in general, think it will be best if stories/ characters are kept separate.
    For example, a Green Arrow story is just that; a GA story. Only GA characters appear - Black Canary, Connor, Eddie Fryers, Mia, Constantine Drakon, Onomatopoeia, Brick etc.
    NO OTHER HERO OR VILLAIN FROM ANY OTHER COMIC SHOULD APPEAR.
    IF that can be kept (like the White Knight Series), think it will be a success.
    This reader will definitely be happy.

Incredible Member

I agree with you -- I hope that Murphy avoids doing the Frank Miller thing of introducing Superman and Wonder Woman and everyone. So far it's been entirely contained to the Gotham / Bat-verse, which I love.

It seems like the third series The Trial of Bruce Wayne will be even more grounded in the Bat-only mthos... but I wonder what it'll actually be called? "Judgment of the White Knight" maybe?

There's plenty of possibilities for what could happen next with Jason Todd. In this universe, he's the original Robin; Dick was second. I wonder if or how that might affect things. With Jason dressed in military garb, I could see Murphy using an "Arkham Knight" mixed with "Batman Beyond Return of the Joker" approach to his backstory. There's also the possibility/probability of characters like Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, and Cassandra Cain being introduced. Or Terry McGinnis or Carrie Kelley... it feels like anything is possible in the Murphy-verse, which is quite fun.

There's also the possibility/probability of characters like Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, and Cassandra Cain being introduced. Or Terry McGinnis or Carrie Kelley... it feels like anything is possible in the Murphy-verse, which is quite fun.
    Murphy said that he isn't planning to introduce any of these characters when he was asked and I hope he keeps his word.

Keep this verse grounded and just focus on the characters you have for now.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

I think Murphy’s Batman stuff has been a real pleasant surprise. The White Knight finale was strong like it’s been through out.

Incredible Member

I agree with you -- I hope that Murphy avoids doing the Frank Miller thing of introducing Superman and Wonder Woman and everyone. So far it's been entirely contained to the Gotham / Bat-verse, which I love.

It seems like the third series The Trial of Bruce Wayne will be even more grounded in the Bat-only mthos... but I wonder what it'll actually be called? "Judgment of the White Knight" maybe?

There's plenty of possibilities for what could happen next with Jason Todd. In this universe, he's the original Robin; Dick was second. I wonder if or how that might affect things. With Jason dressed in military garb, I could see Murphy using an "Arkham Knight" mixed with "Batman Beyond Return of the Joker" approach to his backstory. There's also the possibility/probability of characters like Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, and Cassandra Cain being introduced. Or Terry McGinnis or Carrie Kelley... it feels like anything is possible in the Murphy-verse, which is quite fun.
    I thought CotWK successfully wrapped up the storyline of the White Knight ie. the Napier Initiative and the spillover from it (enhanced police force, GTO and more collaboration with vigilantes).

Not sure which angle the "Trial of Bruce Wayne" will go or what it'll be called but I will be up for it.

I also got an Arkham Knight feel with the introduction of Todd.

Murphy just needs to keep the core formula - "grounded" and contained.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Murphy said that he isn't planning to introduce any of these characters when he was asked and I hope he keeps his word.

Keep this verse grounded and just focus on the characters you have for now.
    Well, that's pretty darn disappointing. Though given how shallow his Dick and Babs are (even Jim), I can't say I would probably love his versions of those.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I’m not sure Murphy initially envisioned Dick and Babs to be anything more then supplemental flavor. As his story expanded, and now that it’s becoming a universe, I think you see him fleshing them out more though. Look at Dick from White Knight to this issue here. Though you can tell he is very BTAS influenced with them. I’m not sure how much he even knows about every Bat associate. Which is ok.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-27-2020 at 08:45 PM.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Murphy has said he wants to eventually bring elements from Batman Beyond into the 'verse.

I'd also like to eventually bridge the entire thing series into Batman Beyond. If you even look at how I designed my Batmobile, it's the same kinda shape of the Batman Beyond Batmobile
    He also mentioned that Vol 3 is where he could tackle the story of Jason

I would love to get to Jason Todd. One of the happy accidents of Volume 1 was I switched the order of the Robins so that Jason Todd was not killed, he just left," said Murphy. "I, sort of, wanted to touch on that. I'm not sure if I'm gonna fit that in Volume 2, maybe at the end. But if I ever get to do a third volume, maybe I'll tackle the Jason Todd thing.
    https://www.cbr.com/batman-white-kni...batman-beyond/

And back on December, he posted a picture of his PC screen in which it read, "Beyond the White Knight" Vol. 3

https://twitter.com/Sean_G_Murphy/st...432001/photo/1

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    With most villains dead and batman in jail, the set up for this is not really there.

I think what ever the 3rd series will be about the Neo Joker will play a role.

Using Jason as a placement for Bruce for Terry's Batman, the gang of the Red Hoods for the Jokerz, after giving it a timeshift of maybe 13 or 14 years is something that could happen. Could it?

I would love to see some interaction between Jason and Terry. It's something I apparently are not going to have any other way, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    I thought CotWK successfully wrapped up the storyline of the White Knight ie. the Napier Initiative and the spillover from it (enhanced police force, GTO and more collaboration with vigilantes).

Not sure which angle the "Trial of Bruce Wayne" will go or what it'll be called but I will be up for it.

Murphy just needs to keep the core formula - "grounded" and contained.
    How? If anything, that was Azrael. Here, its more akin to Father Todd, in a way; Jason was able to find his own way away from the vigilante life. In this case, in the military it seems (Jason with a shaved head is rather weird, be it this or Rebirth Outlaws version).

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Actually, he's not military. He's a prison guard, for a prison that debuted in BTAS, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Actually, he's not military. He's a prison guard, for a prison that debuted in BTAS, in fact.
    Still though. Shaved-head Jason just feels off.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    How? If anything, that was Azrael. Here, its more akin to Father Todd, in a way; Jason was able to find his own way away from the vigilante life. In this case, in the military it seems (Jason with a shaved head is rather weird, be it this or Rebirth Outlaws version).
    Not in a literal Arkham Knight manner but on a different take on "Batman" manner ie military Batman.
    While I get your "...that was Azarel" comment, Arkham Knight operated on a city wild scale (as against a small team).
    Point is - Jason + Military reminded me of AK.