Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Cyclops, he has been fighting for mutants all his life. Has giving up everything his son the woman he loves and at one point even his life.

Amazing Member

Urgh, I like them all so much. Magik and Emma, maybe? Or Dani and Cyclops? That question is a crime against the laws of our island!

Ultimate Member

Do I have to pick just one? Nightcrawler, probably, but Cyclops, Madrox, Emma, Hellion, Dust, Rahne, Frenzy, Unuscione, Tempo, Catseye, Laura, etc. are all right there nipping at his heels! I have dozens of favorites (including some that are flat-out terrible, like Empath, or super-obscure like Fixx)!

But Nightcrawler is tops, because he was *this* close to being a member of my favorite team of all time, the Legion of Super-Heroes. But DC didn't like him, 'too weird-looking,' and Cockrum brought him here, and that's DC's loss!

Cyclops is my favorite. I love his character development from first X-Man and good guy boy scout to questionable leadership/Phoenix-infused bad ass to his rightful place as Captain Commander!
    Cyclops Was Right!

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Jean Grey, She is a nice and selfless person that can kick butts when it is needed. But it is also nice to meet a character through different periods of her life and by many thing for many different characters.

I love most X-men characters but the two I love the most have always been Jean Grey and Cyclops (though I love the rest of the 05, Storm, Emma, etc). I first saw Cyclops on a tv commercial for X-men the Animated Series before it debuted. I was around 10 or 11 years old. I saw his optic blasts and that was it. I think it was episode 5 with "Captive Hearts' that I fell completely for Jean Grey.

She has been my favorite ever since. As a kid I loved her psychic powers but when I learned the rest of her story I became fascinated with Jean as Phoenix (the transformation) and it became something I could easily identify with. The idea that we are something more than we seem, that we are hiding something that we feel is dangerous to others, and this search/journey for our authentic self (the retcons were annoying but it also made Jean more tragic and more of a soap opera character I thought of her as the Laura Spencer of the X-men).

At 19 years of age I began posting on X-men message boards and went on the original version of the Jean Grey Message board and found a whole online community mostly of gay men who loved Jean/Phoenix. It was like finding your people and finding your home. Interestingly enough a lot of the guys online in the Jean Grey fandom loved Jean for basically the same reasons I did (her compassion, her power, the Phoenix transformation). I think writers who see the Phoenix as toxic or changing Jean too much do not understand what it is like to be lgbt because our coming out (or coming out and transitioning as it is for some) is a big change but it is an authentic transformation. We don't see change or transformation as something negative but something positive - a rebirth. Another note, every guy I've ever dated, their favorite X-man has been Jean Grey (but I've only dated a limited amount and am currently in a long term relationship).

My bro and I even watched X-men 3 with a group of guys we met on the Jean Grey Message Board (one of them was a straight guy - they do exist in the JG fandom though this guy would admit Jean wasn't his fav character).

One of the main things I love about Jean other than the rebirth/resurrection moments is her empathy and compassion. I was in college during the Morrison run and I recall leaving class and walking to the local comic store every time a new issue was out. I was a Wednesday warrior. I can't begin to describe what it meant for me that Morrison gave Jean a Phoenix story. It may sound silly to the haters, but I was so excited and ready for it. I loved every single Morrison issue even the ones that did not focus on Scott or Jean. It was my favorite time as an X-men fan.

There have been several times where I have taken a few years break from X-men (mid 90s, and then around 2009 or so) but I keep coming back to it. I also enjoy discussing x-men online (though sometimes more than others).

Incredible Member

Psylocke is actually the only thing I care in comics.

I was a huge fan of the x-men TAS when I was REALLY young and I had a soft spot for the x-woman in the show, mainly rogue and storm (I hated jean as the damsel in distress but loved her as the Phoenix)

My brother had a few dc comics back then and one of his superman books had back cover with an x-men ad ( both marvel and dc had the same publisher in brazil.) The ad had a shirtless havok front and center, xfactor’s cyclops and jean, wolverine jubilee and psylocke in the background graciously jumping off from a building in one of her jim lee’s classics ninja poses...

I had no idea who havok and psylocke were and why cylcops and jean were wearing those outfits, but i remember getting really intrigued by betsy and how I, a TAS expert could possibly not know her...

Then my dad bought me the SNES game mutant apocalipse and I finally got to know that that mutant was called psylocke and she was a bad ass x-woman with high kicks and flowing purple hair. I got stunned by her visuals and an year later when Children of the Atom came, there she was again, front and center of the posters of my local game store. The poster used visuals from actual comic book pages and there was a lot of incredible pannels of jim lee psylocke which led me straight to the comic book store to buy my first x-men comic. It was x-men 1 by lee and claremont

Luck me those were golden years for psylocke and after the whole kwannon saga I got even more intrigued to learn she had a complete backstory with the x-men with a different visual and characterization. It took me some months to collect all the back issues until her USA first appearance in new mutants annual.

I always had a thing for strong female video games/ comic characters. Camny, kitana, mileena, lara croft... at some levels they all relate somehow ( fighting skills, bathing suits and british heritage) maybe I should do deeper on this with my therapist.
    Last edited by crimsontt; 03-26-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Jean and Magik, though I have a lot of affection for the Silver Age/ANAD X-men (+Kitty, Rogue, Psylocke and Emma) and OG New Mutants in general.

BANNED

Ooof.
    I only dislike jean, kitty and bootlicker beast/wolverine, but I pretty much apreaciate everyone else.
    Betsy, Ororo, Lorna have a special place in my heart, so does Emma, Kurt, bishop, scott.
    then above that arguably, the. new mutants girls, who mean so so so much to me, dani with her bravery and preserverance, Illyana with her layered development, Rahne with her more tragic and complicated heart who still manages to be good and pure, Karma who endured so much grief but her loyalty to her family, grit and will to make her own choices , they are truly special. So are doug, roberto and sam <3
    Monet and jubilee are almost the next gen, so i feel similarly to them. Frenzy is a great characther that deserves constant focus once more.
    In obscure terms, catseye, tarot and roullete, slipstream as well, deserved better, so did bedlam and synch.

Then the scourned generation of the academy X, wich has a tremendous amount of diversity and potential.
    I adore pixie, dust, oya, surge, winddancer, indra, anole, gentle, nature girl, Evan, so so much potential and quite frankly visual design.
    No-Girl I have a soft spot because I headcanon her to get kenji's powers and create a body that looks like a white martian, a robot and a mind flayer, so headcanon
    Last edited by Ferro; 03-26-2020 at 10:29 AM.

To be honest so fat I am shocked to see that there really arnt many Wolverine Deadpool answers. I thought they were the big ones of the mutant world.

I am glad to see so many Psylocke fans. She is a cool character in the few books I have read of her.

No love for The Blob I see But thanks to Nyssane for showing me support
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    To be honest so fat I am shocked to see that there really arnt many Wolverine Deadpool answers. I thought they were the big ones of the mutant world.

I am glad to see so many Psylocke fans. She is a cool character in the few books I have read of her.

No love for The Blob I see
    Have you checked Age of X-Man? Blob and Betsy were both in there and had a thing going on. I think that Blob should/could get a Black Tom Cassidy treatment.

I love everyone but my fave is Emma. I've always liked Emma, I think it started when my cousin lent me New X-Men by Morrison and I ADORED her in that. I had little knowledge of the X-Men at that point (I think I wasn't even in middle school at the time) and Emma was a crucial part in making me so fabulous ahahah top class breeding.

I loved both her bad bitch vibe and her powers, and a really loved the fact that she was not your tipical superhero. Then I read Astonishing X-Men, which added a whole other layer of personality with her and I was sold on who my favourite character was hahaha When I started collecting comics monthly (I think I was 13 or something) it was during the Utopia era so I got even more Emma, even though she wasn't on her Morrison levels but I definitely stanned hard at that point. Then I went back to Gen X and Claremont and here we are.

Other faves of mine are Cyclops (I love him as a leader and I love him in spandex), Sunspot, Moonstar, Rogue, Psylocke (thank you, Uncanny X-Force), Monet (I like them bitchy types, probably because I'm the opposite in real life hahaha), Magik, Rictor, Madrox (I liked X-Factor Investigation a lot) and probably more.

I think that a nice way of enjoying comics is having stopped to heavily stan a character or hate another, like I did when I was a teen.
    Last edited by Veitha; 03-26-2020 at 10:54 AM.

[QUOTE=Veitha;4907398]Have you checked Age of X-Man? Blob and Betsy were both in there and had a thing going on. I think that Blob should/could get a Black Tom Cassidy treatment./QUOTE]

I have not but I darn sure will. Thanks for the heads up
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

It really depends on the writer and the time frame. Characters do changes in comics believe it or not. For better or worse. Some characters just suck after they lose the initial push from a writer. Others become more to my liking. Anyway I would say in no real order.

Kyle/Yost X-23
    A cold hearted killer, that is slowly becoming more human/mutant and less uhh robotic for lack of a better word. Was good. Her relationship to Wolverine was great. Wolverine Cared for her but didn't baby her. Droping her off at he mansion and leaving it up to her to find her own way was a cool scene in New X-men. Or when he told her she is not worth anything compared to Wolfbane. lol. That was great. Her relationship with the new X-men was also great while it was a thing.

Hickman Apocalypse
    I always liked Apocalypse more so in the cartoons. In the comics? Ehh he had some great moments here and there but nothing outstanding. A bit of jobber that talks a big game tbh. This current take on him by Hickman is amazing tho. The best issues of the current X-Men series always has Apocalypse in it. I wish Hickman was writing Excalibur cause Howard sucks.

Kyle/Yost New X-men brats
    Not gonna list them all individually or get into each and every one of them. As a whole they fall under the category of characters that fade to the background once a writer leaves. Only Elixir has gotten any consistent screen time as of late. That sucks.

Claremont Storm

Nobody else really wrote her as well all things considered. She sort of sucks now imo. I do like her new role as cult leader on krakoa. Thats cool.

90s Gambit
    He was way more interesting in the 90s imo. Now? Ehhhh. No. It my just be a personal thing, but I don't really care him for him as much. He used to be the coolest X-man back in the day.

At the end of a day a good story is a good so I'll read whatever is to my liking. No point in clinging to a handful of characters that change personality when a new writer comes in.....
    Last edited by FIGHT; 03-26-2020 at 11:04 AM.
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    They ARE, but a forum like this attracts the folks who want to talk about the fringe characters and storylines. You can go anywhere to talk about Deadpool. We're the food snobs of the X-Men fanbase.
    Team Yana Bachalo Fanboy Cyclops Was Right

My trio.

All have such a duality in personality and versatile powers.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/