Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

They probably could / should have just swapped out Cass with Spoiler or Misfit. I think they could have fit that role in the movie without sacrificing all that much of their original comic traits and characteristics.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Well, she hardly speaks, which is kind of an issue in film. Obviously it's doable but it would require a more nuanced approach than you find in a typical comic book movie. I do agree that her movie character was pretty jarring.

Re the writing, the script was not brilliant. But I find most comic book movies to be more or less nonsense. The pattern was set by the Marvel movies, which feature witty chit-chat between massive set-pieces. Character-driven films with relatable motivations are thin on the ground. Weirdly, I think Deadpool actually got a lot of things right.
    Err, what? I think Marvel's killed it with all their heroes. Their motivations are crystal clear and play into the plot.

BoP, you could swap out virtually anyone and still get the same plot

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I can understand the normies liking it but it's on par with the WPIX show they did a decade plus ago. Cassandra Cain is some random pick-pocket orphan, Renee got knocked out by a cellphone and Helena was some socially-awkward kid who only showed up for the last boss. Probably just as bad as Suicide Squad.
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member

I think the biggest issue really is that the movie tried to satisfy everyone, be everything, that it ended up as being nothing.

This was a comic book movie, but shave down a few elements (Canary’s sonic cry, for example), and you have an Urban ‘Charlie’s Angel’. Frankly, virtually nothing about the plot requires it to be a comic book movie.

Especially the action, IMO. I’ve seen the clips on Youtube, and I’m not impressed. Marvel’s action coordinators are far better, and I say that based on the scenes with Black Widow and Hawkeye, not guys like Thor

Maybe using a stunt coordinator, famous for stunts in a movie where the main character shoots 90% of the bad guys, should stick to doing movies where the main character shoots 90% of the bad guys

In addition, it seemingly tried to be socially progressive, thus making Black Canary…black, including Renee Montoya when she was never a member of the team, and the same with Cassandra Cain.

But Renee is there to play Duffy Duck to her Bugs Bunny (or Wolverine to her Cyclops, if you prefer). While being the completely original burned out cop, one day from retirement, etc. So she does double duty as loser and cliché, but gay, so that’s progress, I guess?

Cassandra? Not the bad-ass we all know her to be, but to be the kid sidekick #2879. Another cliché.

And…the entire plot? It revolves around Harley (whitest girl ever) breaking up with her boyfriend, and suffering the (logical) consequences thereof. The entire plot kicks off because our heroine has lost her boyfriend’s protection.

In the same vein, the movie wants to be a feminist action flick, sticking it to the man/system, etc. But the main villains…are two gay men (or bisexual). Not exactly the oppressor one thinks of when discussing institutional sexism (I’m a straight male, for the record). One imagines so as not to offend straight males too much (wasted effort that). Another cliché, in a movie with many.

Lastly, in getting an R rating it was clearly attempting to mimic Deadpool. But Deadpool justified its rating, with both violence, language and adult humor. It pushed the envelope with all three, and did it well.

Harley, not so much. If the R rating is largely for language, then frankly? Yawn. That’s basic. As a society, bad language has lost its shocking appeal, and has since the third season of South Park.

In the end, BoP tried to pretend to be so many different things that it ended up hollow. A shade of Charlie’s Angels, Deadpool and a comic book movie, and little else.

Quote Originally Posted by Murrocko View Post
    They probably could / should have just swapped out Cass with Spoiler or Misfit. I think they could have fit that role in the movie without sacrificing all that much of their original comic traits and characteristics.
    Agreed actually. Stephanie would have been a much better fit for that character.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Murrocko View Post
    Great idea! What a missed opportunity to use Spoiler and they could have thrown in Cluemaster as a comedic cameo.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Only to say, you have this really long post and you haven't seen the movie. In fact it is longer than many other people's posts who have seen the movie.
    Youtube, Wikipedia and TV tropes are al great resources in this modern era

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Youtube, Wikipedia and TV tropes are al great resources in this modern era
    Yes, they are great resources, if used right. If used uncritically, you only end up regurgitating *gaters. And those were out in force on Youtube about Birds of Prey.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

So they will be doing a sequel. Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy. They shouldn’t make this a sequel but a retcon. Birds of Prey hunting Harley and Poison Ivy.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    So they will be doing a sequel. Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy. They shouldn’t make this a sequel but a retcon. Birds of Prey hunting Harley and Poison Ivy.
    This I agree with. Birds of Prey vs Gotham City Sirens (with maybe Selina trying to play peacemeaker?).

Agreed. Maybe Catwoman could be the chaotic neutral. She is mostly with Gotham Sirens but will help Birds of Prey
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 04-04-2020 at 07:18 PM.

Several edits and/or deletions on this thread. Please keep in mind that it is against the rules to:

- Promote illegal downloading
    - Accuse someone of being a troll
    - Uncivil behavior

Stick to the rules and we're all good from here on out.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    In my opinion the franchise is already killed. They should await some year, let that the audience forget this movie, hire some good scriptwriters (maybe Dixon or Simone) and restart "Birds of Prey" from scratch, remaining more close to the original concept of the comic: only changing everything (starting from the way the franchise is conceived), Nolan was able to resurrect Batman after the awful "Batman and Robin".

For anyone missing the point of the film. It’s about women emancipating themselves from awful/unhealthy relationships and becoming strong independent individuals.

As for the fight scene critiques, they were clearer to watch than a lot of those Nolan fight scenes and had some great fight choreography to them. The only one that could have used more work would be the fun house one.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Don't like the idea of introducing her before Selina Kyle is introduced.
    It could be what lead to her meeting Catwoman in the next film (if there’s a sequel).
    Last edited by vitaminbee; 04-05-2020 at 03:02 AM.

Retired

I thought THE BATMAN (if that is what it's called) would be set in the past. I don't know how far back in the past, but it certainly seems to be in a period before BIRDS OF PREY and THE SUICIDE SQUAD--if it's even connected with those movies.