Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Default Can someone explain why Birds of Prey movie was well received?

I realize this isnt in the exact appropriate thread, but as a fan of the comics, I found absolutely nothing remotely similar to the comic or the characters. Black Canary working for a mob boss? Helena Bertinelli a homicidal rager...Renee Montoya an 80s bad cop show retread. Cassandra Cain a smart mouthed (seriously? ) pick pocket.
    That's not even taking into the very badly choreographed fight scenes. I've seen better on HGTV. For Harley, it was decent and would have made a pretty good solo for her. Just to toe it The Emancipation of One Harley Quinn. As a birds of prey movie...no.
    Helena Bertinelli is a layered, intelligent character no matter which one you go with..either a school teacher or the headmistress of a spy organization. Not someone who stands in front of a mirror growling at herself trying to decide between crossbow killer and Huntress.
    I just started watching Picard last night, the fight choreography on that show is a thousand light years above and beyond this movie. Likewise cringe worthy are the outfits. What the hell did they have on Huntress? Especially at the end when shes supposed to be in something that resembles her comics costume...it looks like a purple trash bag with white tape on it. And Montoyas t-shirt....I cant even.
    Black Canary is the only one who had a semi competent actress and look, however her story was woefully pitiful especially knight if the revelation in story that her mother was a hero with the same powers. So that gets her mom killed and lil Canary goes to work for the people who did it?
    I really wanted this movie to be good, I really wanted a great Birds of Prey movie, but the characters look and act nothing like their comic book counterparts. This was just bad.

???

What makes you think it was well received?

There is an entire thread about the movie.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...t=harley+movie

A lot of people disliked everything you've mentioned already.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Ah, ok I missed that. Mostly the reviews I've read have been decent to positive with a Rotten Tomatoes score of 78 is generally not bad (not that I ever base my movie going on RT.) But most recently Kevin Smith's rave review of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Ah, ok I missed that. Mostly the reviews I've read have been decent to positive with a Rotten Tomatoes score of 78 is generally not bad (not that I ever base my movie going on RT.) But most recently Kevin Smith's rave review of the movie.
    Most of those people in the theaters that loved it, probably don't follow comic books. Hence had very little to base the characters on, other than Harley from Suicide Squad (which for some, they loved it, while I could barely get through half of it).

I
    I really wanted this movie to be good, I really wanted a great Birds of Prey movie, but the characters look and act nothing like their comic book counterparts. This was just bad.
    Well most DCEU movies barely resemble the characters comic book counterparts.

I loved it. Admittedly my knowledge of the Birds of Prey is very minimal so I didn't take too much issue with the portrayal of the characters in the film. I loved the fight scenes; I thought they had some of the best fight choreography I've seen in comic book movies. I enjoy Margot Robbie as an actress and I feel that she's particularly magnetic whenever she's playing Harley. I also found all the other Birds interesting and I think the whole group had great chemistry together. The villains (Ewan MacGregor and Chris Messina) are awesome and creepy too. The movie never struck me as particularly "message-y" either (unlike the new Charlie's Angels remake), to me it was just about girls having fun. I'd liken it to the Bridesmaids of the DCEU and I think it really worked.

Most of the positive reviews are people who have never once in their life read a BOP comic. They don't know Babs leads them, they don't know anything about Cass, they can't compare it to the books. So they judge the movie by its own merits - and the movie was fun. That's it, it was a fun movie for people not wrapped up into the comics versions of these characters.

Yeah, it's generally liked by Harley fans and non-comic readers, and disliked by Birds of Prey and Cassandra Cain fans.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Most of the positive reviews are people who have never once in their life read a BOP comic. They don't know Babs leads them, they don't know anything about Cass, they can't compare it to the books. So they judge the movie by its own merits - and the movie was fun. That's it, it was a fun movie for people not wrapped up into the comics versions of these characters.
    Exactly, I'm a Batman fan but I don't follow Harley Quinn so I'm not invested in her so the movie to me while not great was merely adequate.

Because it was fun and looked great? Yes, it's not the BOP from the comics and it should have had a different title but it was still a ride and had some great fights. Most of the hate comes from fans not getting the Birds of Prey film they wanted... one that is like the comics.

It's ok to be mad that it isn't the BOP from the comics while still enjoying the movie. I do wish they went the Gotham City Sirens route but that's just me.

Pretty much what everyone's already said. If you're a big BOP fan, it might not be the movie for you. If you're a big Cassandra Cain fan, then this DEFINITELY isn't the movie for you. But if you're a Harley fan or were never a big fan of any of them to begin with, you're probably gonna enjoy yourself. I finally managed to catch it recently and...it's fun, I'll give it that. Not particularly good. But fun. If I wasn't salty about what they did to Cassandra and how the Birds spend their first movie playing second banana to Harley Quinn, I'd have thought it was pretty okay.

I did enjoy Suicide Squad more though. But then, I seem to be the only weirdo who really liked that movie lol

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Actually it doesn't seems to me "Birds of Prey and the fantabulous emancipation of Harley Quinn" (why not a longer title?) was well received, in fact it seems it has grossed less than 200 millions of Dollars, while its break heaven point was about 250 millions of Dollars.

Astonishing Member

Huntress was the most faithful, especially before she worked with Batman.

To answer OP:

1.) Comic book adaptations are not literal translations of comics. So reviewers are going to judge the movie by its own merits and demerits, not on how faithful Cassandra Cain's characterisation is.

2.) The movie is fun, poppy, has a catchy soundtrack and Robbie, Smollet-Bell, Winstead, McGregor and Messina's performances are great.

3.) Opinions are subjective.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Actually it seems to me that these critiques are about the merits and demerits of the movie, not about the personal opinions of OBbrianTallent or about the literal translation of the comics:

[…]
    That's not even taking into the very badly choreographed fight scenes. I've seen better on HGTV.
    […]
    I just started watching Picard last night, the fight choreography on that show is a thousand light years above and beyond this movie.
    […]
    Black Canary is the only one who had a semi competent actress and look, however her story was woefully pitiful especially knight if the revelation in story that her mother was a hero with the same powers. So that gets her mom killed and lil Canary goes to work for the people who did it?
    […]