Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Any stories that ever made you dislike a character?

Like the title states any stories where you just didn’t like a character. It doesn’t have to be a character you don’t like in a story but a story where the character was written in a way where they came off as being unlikeable or not liked. Either by characters in the story, the writer or you as the reader.

I was reading JLA: Superpower and Kyle Rayner in that oneshot comic made me think of this. Like where the writer seemed to have an intent to make the character come off unlikable. The characters in the story seemed to be annoyed by him notably Batman and Aquaman and by the end of the comic Superman as well

Extraordinary Member

I wasn't too happy with Batman in JLA: Tower of Babel.

And while I loved writer Marv Wolfman, his treatment of Danny Chase made me utterly despise that character in New Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I can't say it made me dislike him as he's a favorite, but Wally being mean to Kyle in his early days was very aggressive.

Bruce Wayne, so many times. But the line was crossed to me, in terms of long-term consequence, in No Man's Land. I know it's much beloved. But I could never get past him refusing assistance from other heroes (and was frankly ticked that they didn't help and think that diminished their characters) and letting Gothamites suffer because of it. The selfishness is staggering. There were bad things about Bruce before, and good things after, I know. But I have tainted view of Batman now, even as a hero (rather than just the way he could be jerky to allies and family), and this definitely contributes. I know he's not the only hero to do bad things. I know this isn't the only instance of his bad behavior. My views towards him are more cumulative than just the one issue, and I admit that. I understand why they didn't want other heroes there from a real-world perspective, but it left me quite negatively disposed towards Batman in general.

Aquaman when he was like "I'll totally kill Garth to save my son." Especially terrible as they had a very father/son relationship in the early days.

I really didn't like the way Wally's jealousy of Roy manifested in Teen Titans. Not a good depiction of Wally to me. But it just annoyed me rather than making me dislike the character.

I do get more frequently annoyed with writers rather than disliking characters, usually.

Nightwing Annual #2. No, just no.

JLA Classified - Sue and Ralph. I loved these two in the silver age. Sadly, post-COIE was not kind to them. And this being a more extreme, parodyish version - Ralph was buffoon and Sue treated him with utter disdain. Yech.

The opening story of New52 Deathstroke where he killed the rest of the group because he works alone.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The opening story of New52 Deathstroke where he killed the rest of the group because he works alone.
    The way Deathstroke was not treated like a villain after Terra's death and any other time he has been treated as anything other than the villain he was. He was just a bog-standard villain before that. After that, I don't want to see his face in any comic I read.

Every story with Tim Drake by Tynion, and most of Tim’s appearances after the New 52.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Identity Crisis turned me off Dr Light forever
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Mike Baron's Wally was a complete self absorbed jerk and womanizer. Thankfully William Messner-Loebs took that and flipped Wally into a fun lovable jerk with a thing for the ladies and a good heart deep down inside (I'm so glad Bruce Timm used the William Messner-Loebs version of Wally for the JLU Cartoon)

Guy Gardner was a complete jerk who always wanted to prove he was better than everyone else when he was awoken from his coma which is why he always ended up getting his ass kicked by John Stewart, Batman, Fire and Hal Jordan until Beau Smith turned him around. Now Guy's characterization is basically a more capable Big Jack Burton from Big Trouble In Little China with a power ring.

Kyle Rayner came off as a bit of a jerk at the start of Morrison's JLA whenever he would crack a stupid joke about the constructs of past GL's (just because your constructs look fancy doesn't make them anymore effective) and a bit of a jerk to Connor Hawke at times when it comes women.

Bruce Wayne sort of went from The Dark Knight Detective to The Almighty Batdouche after CoIE with the way he treated his family and friends with his control freak tendencies and plans to take them all down.

Ollie's been a jerk to a lot of people since Hard Traveling Heroes

John Stewart used to be pretty brash when he was younger and that rubbed some people (including Katma Tui and J'onn J'onnz/Martian Manhunter) the wrong way at first

Katar Hol could rub some of the Satellite Era Leaguers including Shayera the wrong way at times

Booster/Michael was a jerk for the most part until Infinite Crisis (although in both of his solo titles he wasn't)

Barry could be a jerk at times to Ray Palmer.

I couldn't stand the original Vibe but the New 52 Vibe was a really good kid and a fun read.

Just before A Death In The Family Jason Todd was insufferable, but before that I actually kind of liked him.

Damian Wayne and Wallace West can be obnoxious at times but they're getting better.

Aquaman came off as a jerk sometimes during Morrison's JLA run

I hated how all of the surviving members of the Satellite Era League including Superman were initially jerks to Wally when he became the Flash (except for Hal who was proud of Wally)

Hank Hall/Hawk was pretty much a jerk after his brother died, but he eventually became a lovable jerk alongside Dawn/Dove II (even though he could still be grumpy at times) and the Kessel's Hawk & Dove series was a lot of fun

Ronnie could be a jerk sometimes, but so could Jason at first. I guess being fused to someone else at times can be frustrating. Poor Professor Stein.

The Question started out as a jerk and can still be at times depending on the writer.

John Constantine is a complete A-hole but at least admits it.

Carter Hall pre and post-CoIE can be a jerk. Him being a jerk as Chairman of the Earth 2 JSA and not voting his son Hector (along with some other young hopefuls) is what caused the younger Earth 2 heroes to form their own group/Infinity Inc., IIRC

Alan Scott could be a jerk to his kids especially Todd/Obsidian

Orion of the New Gods is a huge jerk and really doesn't care either way

Doctor Light II can be a bit of a bitch towards others

These are just the one's off of the top of my head. I'm sure there's more instances that I'm forgetting or not remembering straight.

Mike Baron's Wally was a complete self absorbed jerk and womanizer. Thankfully William Messner-Loebs took that and flipped Wally into a fun lovable jerk with a thing for the ladies and a good heart deep down inside (I'm so glad Bruce Timm used the William Messner-Loebs version of Wally for the JLU Cartoon)
    Messner-Loebs Wally is my favorite post-COIE Wally. And he didn't just sweep the bad behavior under the rug, either. He had the characters acknowledge and grew him out of it. He put int the work to make the character become different instead of just writing him differently. And I really liked his Linda-intro, too.

Bruce Wayne sort of went from The Dark Knight Detective to The Almighty Batdouche after CoIE with the way he treated his family and friends with his control freak tendencies and plans to take them all down.
    Yep.

I don't know if I'd put the change that early. Little hazy on timeline. I mean, I've read some of that era (not most of Hard Traveling Heroes, because it was subtle as an anvil and not entertaining to me), but I don't quite remember what happened when. I loved a good bit of early Ollie/Dinah and Ollie in the early 1970s (not the after-school-special with Roy or the dad role completely disappearing). Post-COIE Ollie is a real ass, though. For me, he's a lot like Bruce in having been ruined as a character. Even when he's better a while, a writer will take him back to that. I recall recently on a thread about him someone saying he's not a good man - well, he used to be.

Definitely disliked that. And also didn't think it made much sense. I kept thinking within the scientific community, Ray should really "outrank" Barry in prestige. A lot.

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post

Guy Gardner was a complete jerk who always wanted to prove he was better than everyone else when he was awoken from his coma which is why he always ended up getting his ass kicked by John Stewart, Batman, Fire and Hal Jordan until Beau Smith turned him around. Now Guy's characterization is basically a more capable Big Jack Burton from Big Trouble In Little China with a power ring.

Kyle Rayner came off as a bit of a jerk at the start of Morrison's JLA whenever he would crack a stupid joke about the constructs of past GL's (just because your constructs look fancy doesn't make them anymore effective) and a bit of a jerk to Connor Hawke at times when it comes women.

John Stewart used to be pretty brash when he was younger and that rubbed some people (including Katma Tui and J'onn J'onnz/Martian Manhunter) the wrong way at first

Katar Hol could rub some of the Satellite Era Leaguers including Shayera the wrong way at times

Booster/Michael was a jerk for the most part until Infinite Crisis (although in both of his solo titles he wasn't)

I couldn't stand the original Vibe but the New 52 Vibe was a really good kid and a fun read.

Just before A Death In The Family Jason Todd was insufferable, but before that I actually kind of liked him.

Damian Wayne and Wallace West can be obnoxious at times but they're getting better.

Aquaman came off as a jerk sometimes during Morrison's JLA run

I hated how all of the surviving members of the Satellite Era League including Superman were initially jerks to Wally when he became the Flash (except for Hal who was proud of Wally)

Hank Hall/Hawk was pretty much a jerk after his brother died, but he eventually became a lovable jerk alongside Dawn/Dove II (even though he could still be grumpy at times) and the Kessel's Hawk & Dove series was a lot of fun

Ronnie could be a jerk sometimes, but so could Jason at first. I guess being fused to someone else at times can be frustrating. Poor Professor Stein.

The Question started out as a jerk and can still be at times depending on the writer.

John Constantine is a complete A-hole but at least admits it.

Carter Hall pre and post-CoIE can be a jerk. Him being a jerk as Chairman of the Earth 2 JSA and not voting his son Hector (along with some other young hopefuls) is what caused the younger Earth 2 heroes to form their own group/Infinity Inc., IIRC

Alan Scott could be a jerk to his kids especially Todd/Obsidian

Orion of the New Gods is a huge jerk and really doesn't care either way

Doctor Light II can be a bit of a bitch towards others

These are just the one's off of the top of my head. I'm sure there's more instances that I'm forgetting or not remembering straight.
    Disclaimer: My above list is MOSTLY made up of the times a character or characters have simply rubbed me the wrong way or rubbed other characters the wrong way but I have never actually completely hated a character because they are not real and it's hard for me to hate/dislike something that isn't real.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    The way Deathstroke was not treated like a villain after Terra's death and any other time he has been treated as anything other than the villain he was. He was just a bog-standard villain before that. After that, I don't want to see his face in any comic I read.
    100% agree with this. Deathstroke getting a free pass was the start of the Titans long, slow and painful decline.

Extraordinary Member

How about those issues of New 52 Teen Titans where Scott Lobdell made his Kid Flash become Bar Torr, future space terrorist, and then had Solstice blow away a future space judge?

That was like a one-two punch of killing off investment people had in both those characters, which is kind of weird, considering he hadn’t really mismanaged either much until that moment, unlike most of the other characters.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

Oh man...Tim Drake and his father in The Robin title, i don't remember the exact issue or TPB name... Tim's father learned that Tim was Robin... that angered him to no end and he went to the Bat Cave just like that, no showing of how did he find the endtrance in the mennor or anything, he's just in bat cave and he started rebuke Batman. How he dangered his son's life and stuff... it was so stupid... i was so angered, what the **** was this, this is war on crime, not a club house of children who would get scolded by fathers and adult figures... idiot DC... i hate Identity Crisis but i was dancing with joy whem i first read it 15 years ago or something 'cause captain bommerang killed tim's father... lol I'm a more level headed adult now, but i still hate Tim and his Father and the **** that they brought in to Batman which pissed me off to no end back in the day.
    Last edited by Gurz; 03-26-2020 at 06:34 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    Oh man...Tim Drake and his father in The Robin title, i don't remember the exact issue or TPB name... Tim's father learned that Tim was Robin... that angered him to no end and he went to the Bat Cave just like that, no showing of how did he find the endtrance in the mennor or anything, he's just in bat cave and he started rebuke Batman. How he dangered his son's life and stuff... it was so stupid... i was so angered, what the **** was this, this is war on crime, not a club house of children who would get scold by fathers and adult figures... idiot DC... i hate Identity Crisis but i was dancing with joy whem i first read it 15 years ago or something 'cause captain bommerang killed tim's father... lol I'm a more level headed adult now, but i still hate Tim and his Father and the **** that they brought in to Batman which pissed me off to no end back in the day.
    You’re a pretty scary person lol