Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Preach! Bruce Wayne was an extremely intelligent man who focused his studies on detective work, and was the best at it in the world. He was pretty good at a lot of other things.

Now? He's so good at everything I've lost track. He's busy designing cloning technology and neuro-computer advancements to download himself into the next Batman. He's one of the creators of Brother Eye. He induced an alternate personality in himself to emerge at a key time. Detective work? Who's got time?

There was this moment in The New 52 Earth-2 where the Batman of that world reassured the Wonder Woman of that world that he had his supercomputers searching for her lost daughter. And I thought, "Supercomputers? How about you actually do some detective work, Gotham Gumshoe?" And, although it was a parallel world, and it's about two reboots ago, that was the moment when my interest in the current-day conception of what a Batman is plummeted. And hasn't recovered.
    At the risk of coming across like I'm defending Batgod, detective work these days is very different from what it was when Batman was created. New technology is going to make detecting a lot more different.

Then again, given how obvious Batman's villains are, it doesn't take the genius of Sherlock Holmes to solve a typical Batman crime.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Yeah, I still side with Tim's dad. Scolding batman was stupid... but reporting him to the cops or media is completely legit. His job is to protect his kid... and as much good as he does as Robin, Bruce quite literally trained him to take the place of another young boy who was beaten with a crowbar and blown up by a psychotic clown. In the DC universe Robin was currently the most dangerous position in the world... Heck they even retconned Dick getting fired after Robin was shot in teh line of duty.

Frankly the best thing he could have done, was grab the kid, move to california... or France or something that gets him completely away from Bruce.

But that whole time I can just picture Bruce thinking to himself... 'Orphans... this is why Orphans are better.... "

YES!!!

Yep, the batman i love is pretty much dead when he's rebuilding Red Tornado, buildign teleporters and creating mech-suits to punch out Darkseid. Personally I blame Oracle. Right or wrong that's when i really noticed him giving any and all detective work a backseat. Why do any research or thinking when you can get oracle on the line and just ask her for the information... and then from a distance she'll hack the security, unlock the door, and erase the footage. All Batman has to do is growl and punch people.
    Detective work is not a solo act. It requires asking questions and employing experts because you don't know everything and relying on your own limited knowledge is a good way to bungle a case by letting your own bias influence you.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 03-28-2020 at 12:18 AM.