Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Rewrite the X-events

Hey all, I asked this question in the general Marvel Forum, but I figured I would ask here for specific X-Events. How would you rewrite the events that the X-Men have had over the years. For example would you rewrite The Dark Phoenix Saga, would you change Fatal Attractions, what would you do, or would you do nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by adamishere1 View Post
    Hey all, I asked this question in the general Marvel Forum, but I figured I would ask here for specific X-Events. How would you rewrite the events that the X-Men have had over the years. For example would you rewrite The Dark Phoenix Saga, would you change Fatal Attractions, what would you do, or would you do nothing?
    I would rewrite this stupid persecution towards mutants.

That there would be some mistrust, misunderstandings, difficulties… yes, but it has gone too far. A pointless arm race.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Mighty Member

Not written by me, but still the AvX that's actually worth the price of a book:

Firebirds by antiochene
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I would rewrite this stupid persecution towards mutants.

That there would be some mistrust, misunderstandings, difficulties… yes, but it has gone too far. A pointless arm race.
    Agreed. Humankind as a whole shouldn't be so uniformly genocidal toward mutants or accepting of genocidal measures and actions against mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post

Firebirds by antiochene
    Personally, I would rewrite both Vs. X-Men events to not demonize the X-Men for fighting for their people's right to exist. In the case of Avengers Vs. X-Men, the Avengers would be made to realize that their actions, or even their previous inaction, have been upholding a status quo based on marginalizing, criminalizing, and ultimately exterminating mutants. In the case of Inhumans Vs. X-Men, the ultimate villain would be Maximus, driving the Inhumans' seeming lack of empathy for the mutant lives lost by the spread of the Terrigen Mists and having even deliberately poisoned said Mists to cripple or flat-out remove the "competition" presented by mutantkind. In both events, the X-Men and mutants as a whole would be vindicated instead of vilified, and the Avengers and the Inhumans would become genuine allies, especially given events like the original Civil War showing that it wouldn't take but one bad day for humanity to turn against everyone and anyone with superhuman abilities or attributes, whether they were mutants or not. Solidarity would be the name of the game, as it were.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adamishere1 View Post
    While it's tying back into the larger Marvel event, I would have made Destiny's prophecy in Wolverines actually relevant to the Incursions meta plot leading up to Secret Wars, rather than being summarily ignored (which was a major issue for the books in general at the time; everyone doing their own thing and then WHOOPS! time for an event, none of those stories matter anymore). Then for Secret Wars have X-23 as one of the survivors, and at some critical moment she puts on the Wolverine cowl and fulfills whatever role Destiny foresaw Logan playing. Wolverines stops existing in a vacuum, and there's some actual MEANING behind X-23 taking up the cowl rather than just being dumped into it after a time skip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    While it's tying back into the larger Marvel event, I would have made Destiny's prophecy in Wolverines actually relevant to the Incursions meta plot leading up to Secret Wars, rather than being summarily ignored (which was a major issue for the books in general at the time; everyone doing their own thing and then WHOOPS! time for an event, none of those stories matter anymore). Then for Secret Wars have X-23 as one of the survivors, and at some critical moment she puts on the Wolverine cowl and fulfills whatever role Destiny foresaw Logan playing. Wolverines stops existing in a vacuum, and there's some actual MEANING behind X-23 taking up the cowl rather than just being dumped into it after a time skip.
    The way Spider-Woman handled that was hilarioius. In like the last couple pages of her ongoing Black Widow forcibly recruits her, she puts on her old outfit for no real reason, and then her next volume kicks off ignoring the whole thing.

The biggest X-event to rewrite for basically everyone are the Trilogy of vs. X-men events. They're all terribly written that makes everyone look like idiots.

With A v. X, throw out everything related to the Phoenix 5; how they came to be, what they were doing. How about, the Avengers agree to help the X-men by shipping Hope off to a space station or uninhabited planet, so they can try to harness the Phoenix without risking the Earth getting torched like those other planets. Maybe have the Phoenix just straight up ignore Hope at that point and beeline for Earth to destroy it, because the Phoenix is just a stupid (like, actually dumb) bird monster that doesn't give a **** about anyone. End with everyone scrambling to stop it, and have Wanda arrive and use the Phoenix to forcibly undo House of M. Either destroy the Phoenix or seriously weaken it to the point one of the many, many hosts of it takes it over, and have Wanda either get depowered or die in the process.

I'll write up the other two in a bit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    The way Spider-Woman handled that was hilarioius. In like the last couple pages of her ongoing Black Widow forcibly recruits her, she puts on her old outfit for no real reason, and then her next volume kicks off ignoring the whole thing.

The biggest X-event to rewrite for basically everyone are the Trilogy of vs. X-men events. They're all terribly written that makes everyone look like idiots.

With A v. X, throw out everything related to the Phoenix 5; how they came to be, what they were doing. How about, the Avengers agree to help the X-men by shipping Hope off to a space station or uninhabited planet, so they can try to harness the Phoenix without risking the Earth getting torched like those other planets. Maybe have the Phoenix just straight up ignore Hope at that point and beeline for Earth to destroy it, because the Phoenix is just a stupid (like, actually dumb) bird monster that doesn't give a **** about anyone. End with everyone scrambling to stop it, and have Wanda arrive and use the Phoenix to forcibly undo House of M. Either destroy the Phoenix or seriously weaken it to the point one of the many, many hosts of it takes it over, and have Wanda either get depowered or die in the process.

I'll write up the other two in a bit.
    My take on how AvX should have ended:

Avengers: Oh noes! Teh Fenix iz coming!
    Rachel Grey: I got this.

The End.

AvX DOES. NOT. HAPPEN. if anyone remembered for more than five minute that Rachel exists.

X-Cutioner's Song: Gambit and Quicksilver would not have gotten KO'd by Wildside and Reaper. Apocalypse would have gotten killed by some of the more vicious X-Men like Gambit, Cable, Shatterstar, Bishop, and so on. Not by jobbers like the Dark Riders. I also would have less Summers family. They really took over the second half and make it hard to re-read like I love to do with my old comics.

Oh hi, you're singing my song.

I'd start with Xavier(45yo) beginning a school with Beast(18yo). The O5(13yo) would be Cyclops, Marvel, Storm, Nightcrawler and Sunfire.
    The first ten years of X-Men are covert actions as the kids serve as support to Xavier's real team: X-Force. X-Force is Wolverine, Banshee, Thunderbird, Morph & Mystique.
    Along the way, both teams encounter the Red Family at Sinai, where Iota Red is kidnapped, Beta Red defects, and Omega Red escapes. Mystique leaves the team.
    At the X-Men's graduation, Xavier recruits Bobby Drake(13yo) and Alex Blanding(13yo). Alex is revealed to be Cyclops' long-lost brother.

The Brood arrives, subdues and implants an egg in Alex, Beast and Wolverine. In desperation, Beast uses a syringe full of raw x-genes harvested from Wolverine and Nightcrawler to recover, Wolverine heals, but Alex becomes a Brood. Beast transforms to his blue bestial shape. Morph, Banshee and Thunderbird are killed. Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus are critically injured. Xavier infects the Brood with Alex' memories. The Alex/Brood leave Earth calling themselves the Starjammers. Xavier coldly rewrites the Blandings' memories when they inquire about their son. Sunfire leaves the X-Men. Beast joins the Baxter Building Research Group. Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus are sent to recover in Scotland.

The X-Men, just prior to the Phoenix Saga, are Cyclops(23yo), Marvel(23yo), Iceman(18yo), and Wolverine(?yo).

The Phoenix Saga:

Magneto threatens the Boston's McRyan-Kristol Nuclear Power Plant. The X-Men scramble, but it results in Jean's near-death. She miraculously survives the event, but experiences a strange secondary mutation. A week later, the engineers' repairs to the McRyan-Kristol plant cause a second meltdown, but Jean easily repairs it. Xavier is concerned she is becoming limitlessly powerful, but she angrily pulls out his secrets: 1. Shiro & Bobby were in love, so Saburo Yoshida removed his son from Xavier's care, after demanding the boys' memories were altered. 2. Wolverine's amnesia and years of homelessness followed a failed experiment at Weapon Plus; Xavier was personally responsible for Wolverine's fractured mind and identity. 3. Jean Grey died as a child; self-resurrecting upon the trauma releasing her mutant powers. Xavier psychically blocked access to her potential.

The X-Men dissolve but Jean and Bobby befriend the Hellfire Club's "White Queen" in NYC. Knowing Wolverine's paternal feelings toward Jean, Scott manages to enlist Wolverine for one last ride: rescue Jean from the Hellfire Club. The two men sneak in and try to take her back to Xavier's. Jean is enraged, but the White Queen intercedes, and is subsequently rendered apoplectic by an increasingly dangerous Jean - now calling herself The Phoenix. Jean is summoned to the McRyan site, where Xavier pleads with her: He was forced to kill his own son when his sons' powers manifested beyond Xavier's ability to hide him from humans. Knowing Xavier's true motivation was to hide the existence of mutants, The Phoenix says "No More Secrets" as she personally detonates the power plant, instantly killing thousands of people.

The US Military arrives in order to confront the mutant terrorist responsible for the atrocity, but is easily repelled. Wolverine tries to attack her, but he can't bring himself to harm her. Scott manages to beg her to stand down, but he screws up when he says that "Charles can fix her --and everything can go back to the way it was before." With that distraction, Xavier manages to invade and begin blocking her mind again. It's then that Jean realizes the game is up: the world will never change, Xavier will never let go, and Scott will never understand her. With tears in her face, she self-destructs, choosing to die as a goddess than live as a mortal.

End of Chapter 1 of the X-Men.

Chapter 2: the 1980s!
    Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5
    Last edited by CRaymond; 03-26-2020 at 07:08 PM.

You've clearly thought about this. A lot.

I'm not saying that as an insult or as a bad, thing, to be clear. Its neat.

Yeah it’s my mutant power. I see better worlds.

Fantastic Member

Love this kind of thread. I'll definitely submit something soon

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post

Firebirds by antiochene
    Oh ABSOLUTELY!
    I think it could have left a few beats and maybe some deaths out, but by and large this is the AvX I needed in my life.
    Bless antiochene, for weaving continuity so masterfully.

Spectacular Member

IvX, not the event, but the concept of two different superpowered offshoots of humanity growing tensions that could culminate in its most prominent members go into war, is extremely interesting.
    The Terrigenocidal wind was of course mindnumbingly imbecilic. I can't even imagine who could've thought that a goddamn gas could be a danger to a race of Omega Level element manipulators, but you can't underestimate the creativity in the House of Ideas I guess.

Fantastic Member SchismOfMadroces's Avatar

Not so much a rewrite as it is how I wished it went down, but here goes for Cyclops and Caps' confrontation that kicked off AvX. When you boil them down to their basics, both of these guys' combat feats amount to "throw / shoot a thing to bounce off surfaces at the perfect angle." I wanted their dialogue to be loaded with a lot of subtle shifts from the both of them as they try to get the perfect angle on the other should talks break down, then the simultaneous realization of what the other is doing, which brings the cold realization that the breakdown is inevitable. Things start getting heated, some of the more hot-headed teammates initiate the battle, which blows up immediately. Through all the chaos, Cyclops and Cap are more or less locked in place, continuing to follow the angles and trajectories the other is angling for and adjusting their own accordingly.