View Poll Results: Who is your favorite black DC character?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Lightning

11 12.09%
  • Nubia

2 2.20%
  • Mr. Terrific

11 12.09%
  • Aqualad (Jackson Hyde/Kaldur'ahm)

7 7.69%
  • The Signal (Duke Thomas)

2 2.20%
  • Kid Flash (Wallace West)

1 1.10%
  • Static

11 12.09%
  • Naomi McDuffie

1 1.10%
  • Amanda Waller

6 6.59%
  • Steel (I & II)

6 6.59%
  • Black Manta

5 5.49%
  • Bronze Tiger

6 6.59%
  • Icon & Rocket

1 1.10%
  • Bumblebee

5 5.49%
  • Other

16 17.58%
Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Synergy at the Big 2 is... sporadic and uneven as Agent Z points out. Sometimes it’s dramatic and heavy handed, like what’s happened to Shuri over at Marvel. She’s an exact copy of MCU Shuri now, everything done with her previously has been ignored. Guardians of the Galaxy is another example of that. But they didn’t put Wanda and Vision back together despite their relationship being a key part of both the movies and their upcoming TV show.

I would not be surprised to see a black Hawkman, especially since Venditti gave them an out with Carter “reincarnating across time and space” which is how he explained both Carter and Katar existing. But then again maybe they won’t.
    I really hope they don't kill Hawkamn again just to synergize him.

Granted, with Deadshot dead now, maybe they'll finally find a way to make him black.
    They gave him the tats but didn’t change his ethnicity. I can guarantee you that if they ever reboot again though, Aquaman is definitely going to look exactly like Moama. Hell if Aquaman Earth One ever happens I wouldn’t be surprised if he becomes like Moama in appearance too.
    Not to mention the beard.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    nope. sorry. i can't discuss anything post-Future State. Hell, there's things I can't talk about that are happening alongside Future State. next year will be fun, is all I can promise you.
    This is pleasant to read, hopefully at the end of all of this, it's stays that way.

In any case:

So I hope those characters survive and are introduced in the current timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I wish her face had more detail is all I will say.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    but also, I remember saying they very well could roll Ryan Wilder into the comics; people was like it wasn't gonna happen. Synergy ain't that uncommon, remember Diggle and Felicity (the Arrowverse not the OG) are both canon. I wonder what their endgame is with her tho. the character hasn't even debuted yet, are they just laying down the foundation in case she takes off? or are they planning on attempting a parallel storytelling thing where they have her active on both mediums?
    It's about time we had a black female character in the Batman mythos ...well there are the Fox daughters (Tam & Tiffany) and Max Gibson, but I'm talking a costumed one.

I'm not sure what they're going to do with Ryan b/c this could just be a wink-wink sort of thing and not anything significant, but if it is then I hope they differentiate her from Kate by having the character share similarities with the actress portraying the character e.g. bi, vegan, etc b/c while Kate and Ryan have different backstories, the significant charateristics about Kate as a bat character is her being a lesbian, her being jewish, and some other stuff I'm sure idk about and while tokenism is not good, fans want their favorites to own certain characteristics, especially in a crowded field.

honestly, I'm more intrigued by how this could bode for Aldis Hodge's Hawkman. It always hoped for Hawkman reincarnating and exploring being someone other than a white guy for a while, and between this and Aldis Hodge's Hawkman casting, my pipedream crackpot idea could be closer to reality than I anticipated.
    I feel like nothing is gonna happen in regards to this, it's more likely we will get a black hawkman that represents Aldis Hodge version then the main hawkman reincarnating into a black guy, but I will be shocked if it does happens.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post

I wish her face had more detail is all I will say.
    Depending on when that issue was done-it might be a licensing thing and she gets a generic face before her actress approves of it.

I know Star Trek was REALLY picky about that when DC had the books. The artists admits he tried to get certain folks in the books only for the editor to say redo it again-especially when it came to Kristy Alley's Salvik versus Robin Curtis's version.

Now comics had that issue with Katy Segall and the Married with Children comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I really hope they don't kill Hawkamn again just to synergize him.

Granted, with Deadshot dead now, maybe they'll finally find a way to make him black.

Not to mention the beard.
    You can have versions of Hawkman that are the same guy in different bodies existing at the same time. That’s what Venditti set up and how he explained New 52 Katar and Rebirth Carter existing at the same time. Killing off the current white version wouldn’t work because he would need to grow up and he’d be in the freaking gen AFTER Damian and Jon’s. What you can do though is say there’s a black version of Hawkman who exists right now but doesn’t know he’s part of the reincarnation cycle, he hasn’t been “awoken” yet.

I’d have Carter move to Thanagar with Shiera and leave this new version as the protector of Earth. Wouldn’t even need to kill off the current version because every Hawkman can pull from the memories of each last incarnation.

This all sounds super confusing so I’d recommend reading Venditti’s Hawkman he does a good job untangling the knot. Suffice to say a black Hawkman doesn’t require killing off the current version.

You can have versions of Hawkman that are the same guy in different bodies existing at the same time. That’s what Venditti set up and how he explained New 52 Katar and Rebirth Carter existing at the same time. Killing off the current white version wouldn’t work because he would need to grow up and he’d be in the freaking gen AFTER Damian and Jon’s. What you can do though is say there’s a black version of Hawkman who exists right now but doesn’t know he’s part of the reincarnation cycle, he hasn’t been “awoken” yet.

I’d have Carter move to Thanagar with Shiera and leave this new version as the protector of Earth. Wouldn’t even need to kill off the current version because every Hawkman can pull from the memories of each last incarnation.

This all sounds super confusing so I’d recommend reading Venditti’s Hawkman he does a good job untangling the knot. Suffice to say a black Hawkman doesn’t require killing off the current version.
    I may be misremembering, but wasn't current Carter originally from the 40s anyway? so wouldn't that fudge the numbers and mean there should be a modern Hawkman that's supposed to be the counterpart to modern Kendra? Carter could live out his life with Shayera in the 40s (even retire) without disrupting the chain. like maybe modern black Hawkman (possibly still named Carter Hall) was born the time he was supposed to but he never "activated" as a reincarnation because Carter has been outside of his temporal order from his time in the Dark Multiverse and then being popping out in modern day;making it that while 40s Carter did end the cycle, he technically ended it with one more Hawkman still out there. So with Carter back in the 40s, whether he's dead or lives to modern day, he's back in his original time period and black Hawkman can awaken.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I may be misremembering, but wasn't current Carter originally from the 40s anyway? so wouldn't that fudge the numbers and mean there should be a modern Hawkman that's supposed to be the counterpart to modern Kendra? Carter could live out his life with Shayera in the 40s (even retire) without disrupting the chain. like maybe modern black Hawkman (possibly still named Carter Hall) was born the time he was supposed to but he never "activated" as a reincarnation because Carter has been outside of his temporal order from his time in the Dark Multiverse and then being popping out in modern day;making it that while 40s Carter did end the cycle, he technically ended it with one more Hawkman still out there. So with Carter back in the 40s, whether he's dead or lives to modern day, he's back in his original time period and black Hawkman can awaken.
    I don’t *think* so but I’d need to go reread Metal. I’m pretty sure that’s just Carter remembering a past incarnation same as how he remembered the Kryptonian life or the original life he had. But yes you could go that route as well.

...Is Hawkman Doctor Who now ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    ...Is Hawkman Doctor Who now ?
    I was thinking more like a savage timey wimey Avatar the Last Airbender; never was a Doctor Who guy.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Ultimate Member

https://www.deviantart.com/skyvolt20...east-859200206

Freedom Beast with Janu-protectors of South Africa.

first official look at Javicia Leslie's Batwoman suit

currently following:

Why was there no Cyborg option? I'm liking him in Doom Patrol (just started watching recently).

And forgot to add, really enjoyed Sister Knight from the HBO Watchmen series. I get that the poll is about characters from the comics though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Why was there no Cyborg option? I'm liking him in Doom Patrol (just started watching recently).
    i explain this on the first page but Cyborg, Vixen, and John were the top 3 last volume so John was inducted to the hall of fame and Cyborg and Vixen were taken out to highlight other black heroes and encourage more thoughtful choices since I've noticed that people tend to either a. have a limited pool of black heroes that they know of and/or b. don't really have a favorite and just pick the biggest black name they know. Cyborg and Vixen will be re-added to the list in the next volume, assuming I'm able to have it up before someone else does a black appreciation thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    And forgot to add, really enjoyed Sister Knight from the HBO Watchmen series. I get that the poll is about characters from the comics though.
    the thread is a celebration of all black characters so Sister Knight is a valid option. actually, now that you mention it, I probably could've/should've included black heroes from wider media.

currently following:

I probably could've/should've included black heroes from wider media.
    Okay, cool, recommend including Sister Knight and Hooded Justice in the next poll.

Extraordinary Member

Which is the better character and you would rather appear more: Calvin Ellis or Val Zod?