View Poll Results: Who is your favorite black DC character?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Lightning

11 12.09%
  • Nubia

2 2.20%
  • Mr. Terrific

11 12.09%
  • Aqualad (Jackson Hyde/Kaldur'ahm)

7 7.69%
  • The Signal (Duke Thomas)

2 2.20%
  • Kid Flash (Wallace West)

1 1.10%
  • Static

11 12.09%
  • Naomi McDuffie

1 1.10%
  • Amanda Waller

6 6.59%
  • Steel (I & II)

6 6.59%
  • Black Manta

5 5.49%
  • Bronze Tiger

6 6.59%
  • Icon & Rocket

1 1.10%
  • Bumblebee

5 5.49%
  • Other

16 17.58%
Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Bloodwynd is a character that I think would be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    I feel Bloodwynd is one of five characters DC has that could be their counterpoint (for lack of a better term) to Black Panther if they had a mind for Afrofuturism or Africana storytelling in general.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-30-2020 at 12:56 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

After Grant Morrison compared his name to a bowel issue, I haven't been able to look at him the same way, lol.

Astonishing Member

I don't think he's ever getting used in a big way until DC retools his entire origin. I don't think there's many creators brave enough to explore a character who's schtick is centered around American slavery and black plight. And I'm frankly not sure if outside a handful of corners, he'd have much appeal if they kept him as is. Black fans are tired of slave/oppression narratives and we all know there's gonna be heavy pushback from some white fans.

It's one thing for Milestone and Black Lightning to root their stories in ongoing issues of race and class, it's another to have a hero who's all about his ancestors being enslaved. He's got a cool design, but from his name to his powers, Bloodwynd needs to be totally revamped before I see him becoming viable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I don't think he's ever getting used in a big way until DC retools his entire origin. I don't think there's many creators brave enough to explore a character who's schtick is centered around American slavery and black plight. And I'm frankly not sure if outside a handful of corners, he'd have much appeal if they kept him as is. Black fans are tired of slave/oppression narratives and we all know there's gonna be heavy pushback from some white fans.

It's one thing for Milestone and Black Lightning to root their stories in ongoing issues of race and class, it's another to have a hero who's all about his ancestors being enslaved. He's got a cool design, but from his name to his powers, Bloodwynd needs to be totally revamped before I see him becoming viable.
    Wasn't Icon also reborn from a slave woman?

I'd make Bloodwynd part of a Sentinels of Magic team.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Yea but he's actually an alien and his relationship with slavery is just part of his backstory, not the source of his powers/lore.

Ultimate Member

Candyman says hi.... at least the movie version does.

Icon made himself a black baby when the woman opened his pod.

Incredible Member

Why should that be a problem? Lovecraft Country is handling it well. Besides it's not really his whole shtick, just an explanation of where his powers originated which every here has.

Incredible Member

Astonishing Member

Why should that be a problem? Lovecraft Country is handling it well. Besides it's not really his whole shtick, just an explanation of where his powers originated which every here has.
    The audience for Lovecraft Country is very different from comic book audiences, which is what I assumed we were talking about. Slavery kinda is his whole shtick since literally everything about his lore is rooted in slavery. The nature of his powers, the important figures in his backstory, his most important item, etc.

But I can concede that a good enough writer would probably be able to not always pigeonhole Bloodwynd into stories revolving around his ancestry and slavery. I simply don't think DC has writers that'll do it justice without getting groans from black audiences and outrage from white ones so it'd be better long-term to just reinvent the character entirely. The character has potential from a visual standpoint alone, it's just the 90's name and tryhard slavery-based powers are impediments to his appeal.

Mighty Member

Whatever happened to this guy? Did he fade to obscurity after the JLA?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Whatever happened to this guy? Did he fade to obscurity after the JLA?
    Wasn't he revealed to be J'onn?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    So it looks like John Ridley is reintroducing Timothy Fox. John Ridley's comments about his story centering around Lucius' relationship with his sons make more sense now. I saw over on reddit that some people are saying it looks possible that the reason DC was playing coy and never outright said Luke Fox will be Batman is because they want to bring Timothy in for that role. thoughts? I've really come around on the idea of Luke as Batman but Tim as a blank slate could work just as fine of not better depending on the execution.
    With how new Black characters and other new minority characters tend to slip between the cracks, I'm all for them bringing back and reincorporating an old new character that slipped into obscurity.

That said, I don't have a clue what his role was when he was first made, nor how relevant it was portrayed and carried. Like you said, he's basically a blank slate. I'd be iffy if he was brought back to go villain (unless it was done really well, in the sense that he wasn't being made into a villain but his own complex vigilante and person who's still valued; and not in the wishy-washy way writers do for Jason). But with that in mind, it still brings to mind what Ridley will be doing with him, especially in relation to Luke and the Foxes.

Don't think he's the slated-for new Batman, though. Not with the information we have now, anyway.

Also, Duke needs more Black kids his age to interact with! Hint-hint, writers!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I feel Bloodwynd is one of five characters DC has that could be their counterpoint (for lack of a better term) to Black Panther if they had a mind for Afrofuturism or Africana storytelling in general.
    Agreed.

And I've mentioned this before, but the big caveat to Bloodwynd is whether or not DC and them would have the stones to do the full justice such a character deserves. Would they let him be righteously angry and deal just retribution the same ways they and Marvel and other companies and other works allow White characters do? After all, his power source is very distinct in its origins. Would they have what it takes to showcase a Bloodwynd who completely respects and embraces his powers for what they are and for where they are sourced from and still be an unambiguous hero who is loved and respected and looked up to and seen as being worth aspiring to emulate?

Thing of it is, I'm not sure. I'm not sure they do. I'm not sure they are.