View Poll Results: Who is your favorite black DC character?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Lightning

11 12.09%
  • Nubia

2 2.20%
  • Mr. Terrific

11 12.09%
  • Aqualad (Jackson Hyde/Kaldur'ahm)

7 7.69%
  • The Signal (Duke Thomas)

2 2.20%
  • Kid Flash (Wallace West)

1 1.10%
  • Static

11 12.09%
  • Naomi McDuffie

1 1.10%
  • Amanda Waller

6 6.59%
  • Steel (I & II)

6 6.59%
  • Black Manta

5 5.49%
  • Bronze Tiger

6 6.59%
  • Icon & Rocket

1 1.10%
  • Bumblebee

5 5.49%
  • Other

16 17.58%
Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He couldn't play Ebon?
    Depends on the age. Are we going with cartoon version or the comic one (that had him near Virgil's age)?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Depends on the age. Are we going with cartoon version or the comic one (that had him near Virgil's age)?
    I mostly know him from the cartoon version where he was voiced by Gary Sturgis.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    currently I'd say they'd be:

Black Lightning
    John Stewart
    Mr. Terrific
    Vixen
    Nubia
    Isn't Nubia an really obscure character? She had afaik at best 10 appearances pre Flashpoint. Has she become more prominent post Flashpoint?

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Isn't Nubia an really obscure character? She had afaik at best 10 appearances pre Flashpoint. Has she become more prominent post Flashpoint?
    She’s showing up in Future State and has shown up as a side character here and there sporadically in out of continuity stuff like Earth One and Injustice. But yeah I wouldn’t put her anywhere near the top 5.

Excluding Milestone characters:
    John Stewart
    Vixen
    Mr. Terrific
    Firestorm
    Black Lightning & his daughters

Those are the ones who have shown up in movies/TV/games so even though in the comics they may not get a lot of play, they’re “big guns” in the public eye (regardless of quality).
    Last edited by Vordan; 12-04-2020 at 10:33 AM.

really obscure? I guess but I've met more casuals who know about Nubia (or at least have heard of a Black Wondr Woman) than they know about Thunder & Lightning (pre-CW) or Bumblebee; and in terms of competence and scale of crime fighting in-universe I'd day she's more League material than them too.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

really obscure? I guess but I've met more casuals who know about Nubia (or at least have heard of a Black Wondr Woman) than they know about Thunder & Lightning (pre-CW) or Bumblebee; and in terms of competence and scale of crime fighting in-universe I'd day she's more League material than them too.
    She hasn't had enough appearances in the comics to really say she's more competent than them.

Extraordinary Member

really obscure? I guess but I've met more casuals who know about Nubia (or at least have heard of a Black Wondr Woman) than they know about Thunder & Lightning (pre-CW) or Bumblebee;
    Which is kind of surprising if you look at the number of her appearances.

I found it for example really wired when Marie Javins said in a recent interview the following:
    “As a young girl devouring comics of Wonder Woman, Nubia and Supergirl, I never dreamed that decades later, I’d be at the helm of the mighty DC Comics,”
    simply since Nubia had maybe appearances in about 3 comic issues back than.

Ultimate Member

She had an action figure from MEGO. From what I can piece together there were plans for her to be on Wonder Woman show. However when the show moved from ABC to CBS and dropped the World War 2 era-she got left out.

The late Teresa Graves was going to paly her.

A version of her was seen in the Cathy Crosby WW movie.

Jayne Kennedy)'s character from WW was renamed Nubia in the Bionic Woman meets WW comic.

Extraordinary Member

So CW is getting Batwoman, Painkiller and Naomi.

I think she is, although for obscure she is there are people that are aware of her, at the same time we have Donna and Cassie fans on Twitter who just learned of Nubia's existence and yet are complaining about her getting attention and not the other 2 despite the fact that Nubia has only had 40 or less appearances.

Note: They were saying Cassie and Donna were neglected and yet look at how many issues Nubia has been in.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    So CW is getting Batwoman, Painkiller and Naomi.
    Idk if Painkiller is getting a full series and if they do I don't see it lasting past season 1 but hey the cw doing black led shows ad superheroes/vigilantes at that ...who would have thought.

But man oh man Bendis has the golden touch.

Miles Morales
    Jessica Jones
    Maria Hill
    Daisy Johnson
    Yo-yo Rodriguez
    Samuel L. Jackson!Nick Fury
    There's also a rumored Ironheart series but we won't count her yet.
    And now Naomi.

I won't even get into the specific comic runs he was a part of that is used as inspiration for storylines in a series or movies.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 12-05-2020 at 01:22 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I think she is, although for obscure she is there are people that are aware of her, at the same time we have Donna and Cassie fans on Twitter who just learned of Nubia's existence and yet are complaining are complaining about her getting attention and not the other 2 despite the fact that Nubia has only had 40 or less appearances.
    You might as well get ready to see a LOT more of that. Especially from the usual suspects. Who don't read DC.

As for Cassie & Donna.

Those 2 have had how many appearances? For years how many shots did we see with them good or bad?
    While that falls on editorial-those fans can't say nothing was done with them.

Extraordinary Member

I think she is, although for obscure she is there are people that are aware of her, at the same time we have Donna and Cassie fans on Twitter who just learned of Nubia's existence and yet are complaining are complaining about her getting attention and not the other 2 despite the fact that Nubia has only had 40 or less appearances.
    In the the main continuities more like 20 appearences.
    I think even some of the other "minor" Amazons have far more appearances. (But I'm not really a big Wonder Woman reader)

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    As for Cassie & Donna.

Those 2 have had how many appearances? For years how many shots did we see with them good or bad?
    While that falls on editorial-those fans can't say nothing was done with them.
    Outside of their team books (in which DC puts next to no effort) not many, and probably less than any of their other prominent team mates.
    Both had a mini and a single one shot each and that's about it.

In the the main continuities more like 20 appearences.
    I think even some of the other "minor" Amazons have far more appearances. (But I'm not really a big Wonder Woman reader)

Outside of their team books (in which DC puts next to no effort) not many, and probably less than any of their other prominent team mates.
    Both had a mini and a single one shot each and that's about it.
    That's still more than Nubia got.

But in general DC has been pretty lousy with WW characters. There's no need to take it out on Nubia.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I think she is, although for obscure she is there are people that are aware of her, at the same time we have Donna and Cassie fans on Twitter who just learned of Nubia's existence and yet are complaining about her getting attention and not the other 2 despite the fact that Nubia has only had 40 or less appearances.

Note: They were saying Cassie and Donna were neglected and yet look at how many issues Nubia has been in.

Idk if Painkiller is getting a full series and if they do I don't see it lasting past season 1 but hey the cw doing black led shows ad superheroes/vigilantes at that ...who would have thought.

But man oh man Bendis has the golden touch.

Miles Morales
    Jessica Jones
    Maria Hill
    Daisy Johnson
    Yo-yo Rodriguez
    Samuel L. Jackson!Nick Fury
    There's also a rumored Ironheart series but we won't count her yet.
    And now Naomi.

I won't even get into the specific comic runs he was a part of that is used as inspiration for storylines in a series or movies.
    To be honest, despite his middling sales and divisive reception (I like his Superman with some caveats, but he's not beloved by many) I feel this is the main reason he sticks around at DC. He's got a track record of setting up stuff that makes it to the real lucrative adaption stage and overall seems to be a good brand ambassador that lures over other talent (KSD, Fraction, etc) and puts a positive spin on the company.

So does anyone think we'll get any black led books in March or do I need slow my roll and hope for a black hero on the main team.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    To be honest, despite his middling sales and divisive reception (I like his Superman with some caveats, but he's not beloved by many) I feel this is the main reason he sticks around at DC. He's got a track record of setting up stuff that makes it to the real lucrative adaption stage and overall seems to be a good brand ambassador that lures over other talent (KSD, Fraction, etc) and puts a positive spin on the company.
    Yeah... Bendis has a bit of a hatedom online and he's not as big a draw as he used to be but man the essay I could write about Bendis pacing being similar to how manga or novels are paced or the fact that his wordy-ness in his comics probably appeal to book readers and the cherry on top is his eye for artists.

I don't want to sell what Bendis does with the comic side of things short, but yeah Bendis was one of the writers chosen for that creative committee thing for the marvel movies before it was disbanded and his characters (and his storylines) are seemingly being adapted one after the other, so if live action is where the money is, I can see that being a big draw for DC.

If I remember correctly when it was announced Bendis was joining DC, I believe Bleeding Cool said that his contract contained him doing outside comic media for them so Naomi may just be the start.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer