View Poll Results: Who is your favorite black DC character?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Lightning

11 12.09%
  • Nubia

2 2.20%
  • Mr. Terrific

11 12.09%
  • Aqualad (Jackson Hyde/Kaldur'ahm)

7 7.69%
  • The Signal (Duke Thomas)

2 2.20%
  • Kid Flash (Wallace West)

1 1.10%
  • Static

11 12.09%
  • Naomi McDuffie

1 1.10%
  • Amanda Waller

6 6.59%
  • Steel (I & II)

6 6.59%
  • Black Manta

5 5.49%
  • Bronze Tiger

6 6.59%
  • Icon & Rocket

1 1.10%
  • Bumblebee

5 5.49%
  • Other

16 17.58%
Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    So weird to have a bird on her crotch. Her last design was better, it just needed to be used more.
    She's birthing the animal kingdom ...heh.

In all seriousness, I like the sportiness of the design in spite of the bird crotch I just really want her original jumpsuit back (with obviously less exposed cleavage) and most importantly I want her Halle Berry haircut back.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

I know we'll probably never see him again but I really liked the look and character of the Donny Fairchild Vigilante. He kinda felt like a mix of Robbie Reyes and the usual outlaw character like Wild Dog or OG Vigilante. I pitch building up Freeland a lot but I genuinely think that, with his color scheme and electric weapon, he would fit in really nicely in Freeland with Black Lightning and them.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'd be all for it, we could always use more south asian character and black + indian mix isn't a common mix in comics as far as I know. I wouldn't mind it so long as the character is treated with respect. people love to complain about "pandering" but I don't care if you pander so long as it's a good concept; speak directly to me DC, I don't give a ****
    Yeah. Besides an older character Maya. I can’t think of too many south Asian characters at DC.

I'd be all for it, we could always use more south asian character and black + indian mix isn't a common mix in comics as far as I know. I wouldn't mind it so long as the character is treated with respect. people love to complain about "pandering" but I don't care if you pander so long as it's a good concept; speak directly to me DC, I don't give a ****
    I think people get too caught up on why a character was created instead of how they're used.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I think people get too caught up on why a character was created instead of how they're used.
    That because any POC is viewed as pandering from day one.

I can toss out my all black JLA.

http://fav.me/de1wdwk

And would hear pandering calls GALORE with some blacks yelling just as loud as the gators.

Yet if you look past their skin color-you got some folks who can match Justice League or any other team.

And I could do one for almost every race, some religions, gender and sexuality. Yet the usual suspects would throw a fit.

Ultimate Member

I know we'll probably never see him again but I really liked the look and character of the Donny Fairchild Vigilante. He kinda felt like a mix of Robbie Reyes and the usual outlaw character like Wild Dog or OG Vigilante. I pitch building up Freeland a lot but I genuinely think that, with his color scheme and electric weapon, he would fit in really nicely in Freeland with Black Lightning and them.
    I thought that guy was based on Kaep at first. Yet all that stuff with him happened AFTER this guy came out.

Extraordinary Member

We’re getting a black Hawkman in the DCEU

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    We’re getting a black Hawkman in the DCEU
    I would be more happy about this if Cyborg wasn't the only black comic character that has appeared in the DCEU.

I don't care about racebending but so far DC hasn't shown or tried to get any of their actual black characters to the big screen and instead is relying on racebending which just benefit these white comic characters since they're not gonna change their race.

And before anybody says anything I know Hawkman reincarnates.

Anyway... happy for Aldis Hodge
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I would be more happy about this if Cyborg wasn't the only black comic character that has appeared in the DCEU.

I don't care about racebending but so far DC hasn't shown or tried to get any of their actual black characters to the big screen and instead is relying on racebending which just benefit these white comic characters since they're not gonna change their race.

I agree. It starts getting annoying when the actual Black characters get no love and studios would rather racebend.

Ultimate Member

Part of the issue is DC approves who get used and who doesn't.

And sometimes when a project gets announced it causes issues.

The Booster Gold episode of Justice League Unlimited was suppose to be Firestorm. Ronnie's death in Identity Crisis got that scrapped. Aquaman got removed from that show because of the failed pilot on the WB.

Also look at who your WRITERS are.

We are in the era of kids of the 80s doing this stuff. Guess who was the ONLY black person in DC (outside of comics) they saw? From Superfriends in the 70s to Batman Beyond in late 90s.

CYBORG.
    Steel had a movie.
    Black Lightning had an action figure in 1996.

Astonishing Member

I can agree with this. Intrinsically there's nothing wrong with racebending, but when the only time we get black characters is when they were originally white it's a bit ridiculous. If Peacemaker can get a show I hope that Vixen can make some kind of ensemble appearance then get her own HBO Max spin-off as well. Before the Ray Fisher situation kicked into high gear I'd hoped Cyborg would finally get a solo HBO Max project but that hope seems to be evaporating quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I can agree with this. Intrinsically there's nothing wrong with racebending, but when the only time we get black characters is when they were originally white it's a bit ridiculous. If Peacemaker can get a show I hope that Vixen can make some kind of ensemble appearance then get her own HBO Max spin-off as well. Before the Ray Fisher situation kicked into high gear I'd hoped Cyborg would finally get a solo HBO Max project but that hope seems to be evaporating quickly.
    Maybe they could launch the Doom Patrol Cyborg into his own show on HBO Max at some point.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Astonishing Member

Nice! Thought I was the only one who's eye was caught by this iteration of Vigilante. It's a bit of a dark run (but not too much so, really), but I thought it worked. And I agree that he had a cool and evocative design scheme to him. I definitely see the Robbie Reyes-style he's rocking.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    They’ll probably move forward with Black Canary since she’s the best received character from Birds Of Prey. A Cyborg series on HBO Max would’ve been a good alternative to a film but it’s probably not happening now. As of now I don’t think they’ll be doing any unknown c level characters until they get their first batch of shows off the ground.

Black Manta was in Aquaman and James Gunn's Suicide Squad has Bloodsport who is black in the comics. So no, Cyborg is not the only black comics character in the DCEU.