View Poll Results: Who is your favorite black DC character?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Lightning

11 12.09%
  • Nubia

2 2.20%
  • Mr. Terrific

11 12.09%
  • Aqualad (Jackson Hyde/Kaldur'ahm)

7 7.69%
  • The Signal (Duke Thomas)

2 2.20%
  • Kid Flash (Wallace West)

1 1.10%
  • Static

11 12.09%
  • Naomi McDuffie

1 1.10%
  • Amanda Waller

6 6.59%
  • Steel (I & II)

6 6.59%
  • Black Manta

5 5.49%
  • Bronze Tiger

6 6.59%
  • Icon & Rocket

1 1.10%
  • Bumblebee

5 5.49%
  • Other

16 17.58%
Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Which is the better character and you would rather appear more: Calvin Ellis or Val Zod?
    Calvin Ellis, purely because I REALLY don't like the idea of Superman being a pacifist that comes with Val Zod.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Alitha Martinez's Nubia for Future State

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...tate_drawn_by/

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Alitha Martinez's Nubia for Future State

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...tate_drawn_by/
    Goddamn! Future State looks better and better the more they reveal! I'm happy to see more Nubia, I'm actually extremely shocked that she is the only one who has zero votes on the poll.

I hope they are planning on pushing her more after Future State. I think it could be cool for her to lead or team up with the Cheetah Guardian women in Bwunda, make them a proper amazon tribe, or link her up with Vixen; or both. just want them to give her more to do.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

That's an awesome costume design! I'm really happy they didn't give her straight light colored hair like the way so many black female characters are drawn.

Holy crap that’s a lot of hair!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Holy crap that’s a lot of hair!
    It reminds me of this Wonder Woman fan art project by two people called ninalinovna and overseer195. Their versions of the Amazons have long hair as a standard too:

In this series the Amazons all have really long hair. It has been integrated into their amazonian culture as a thing of pride. Comparisons have been made to the Dothraki from Game of Thrones, and while I've never read those books or seen the show, upon researching the Dothraki, the concept is somewhat similar.

My idea was that a secluded culture may have concepts that are considered normal to them, but strange or even bizarre to us. Plus I also integrated the Greek concept of looking ones absolute prettiest and finest even before going into war into their culture ("Kalos Thanatos").
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...y_ninalinovna/

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Do you guys consider Djinn to be Black?

I thought she was just ambiguous but not so much in this artstyle. Djinns/Jinns are from cultures in Arab sphere but that includes some black countries like Somalia or (North) Sudan.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post

I thought she was just ambiguous but not so much in this artstyle. Djinns/Jinns are from cultures in Arab sphere but that includes some black countries like Somalia or (North) Sudan.
    I mean I thought she was visually a black girl from North Africa but despite there being black people who's religion is Islam, when you think of someone being Muslim most people don't tend to think of them as being black and so that kind makes you rethink the "race" of the character and consider that maybe she's just a more brown middle easterner or something of the sort.

So yeah she's ambiguous in that you can't tell what race this djinn is actually trying pass off as.

Bur this is why writers and artists need to be upfront about this stuff tbh, although, they wouldn't need to be if artists actually drew people differently, usually people of differing race and ethnicity have different nose and eye shapes, different hair textures, possibly different body types etc.

----

But damn, there's only been 4 black female superheroes in the Titans franchise, they forgot 2, and can we even include Natasha for her short stint in the Titans book...

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I mean I thought she was visually a black girl from North Africa but despite there being black people who's religion is Islam, when you think of someone being Muslim most people don't tend to think of them as being black and so that kind makes you rethink the "race" of the character and consider that maybe she's just a more brown middle easterner or something of the sort.

So yeah she's ambiguous in that you can't tell what race this djinn is actually trying pass off as.

Bur this is why writers and artists need to be upfront about this stuff tbh, although, they wouldn't need to be if artists actually drew people differently, usually people of differing race and ethnicity have different nose and eye shapes, different hair textures, possibly different body types etc.

----

But damn, there's only been 4 black female superheroes in the Titans franchise, they forgot 2, and can we even include Natasha for her short stint in the Titans book...
    If we're including Kyle, to say nothing of Mammoth and Shimmer, I don't se why Natasha shouldn't be included.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It reminds me of this Wonder Woman fan art project by two people called ninalinovna and overseer195. Their versions of the Amazons have long hair as a standard too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...y_ninalinovna/
    So cool, ty for that.
    An image search on their art provided some really fun stuff to check out!

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post

----

Yeah DC really sucks when it comes to women of color. You can count on one hand the amount of Black, Latina and Asian characters that have been League members (Vixen, Fire, Jessica Cruz, Dr Light, Katana... is there more?)

As far as Titans go:

Black: Bumblebee, Rocket?, Natasha Irons, Djiin, Skitter, Tanya Spears
    Asian: Ravager, Emiko, Traci 13,
    Latino/Native: Pantha, Mirage, Aquagirl
    Other: Soltice

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Yeah DC really sucks when it comes to women of color. You can count on one hand the amount of Black, Latina and Asian characters that have been League members (Vixen, Fire, Jessica Cruz, Dr Light, Katana... is there more?)

As far as Titans go:

Black: Bumblebee, Rocket?, Natasha Irons, Djiin, Skitter, Tanya Spears
    Asian: Ravager, Emiko, Traci 13,
    Latino/Native: Pantha, Mirage, Aquagirl
    Other: Soltice
    Solstice is Asian. Rocket has never been on a Titans team.

Extraordinary Member

Pantha is a black latino.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Pantha is a black latino.
    Where was this stated?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Yes.
    She looks clearly black.
    Keep in mind there were cultures in arabia,yemen etc.. before it was arabized as well.
    For example if the queen of sheba existed she would be black.
    Ethiopia/axum even invaded yemen and parts arabia before it was arabized.
    There are still blacks in arabia/yemen,but most are arabized.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-01-2020 at 07:06 PM.